Intelligent Switchgear Organization Reviews | Glassdoor

Intelligent Switchgear Organization Reviews

Updated Dec 6, 2017

2.5
Intelligent Switchgear Organization CEO Steven Castelein (no image)
Steven Castelein
  1. "Aftermarket Product Support Inside Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Intelligent Switchgear Organization full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A very great company to work for.

Cons

Formerly apart of a Joint Venture.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2017-12-06
  2. "Challenging but exciting place to work"

Pros

There is a great deal of talent, wealth of experience, and high percentage of people with a lot of tenure. Many folks have worked here for 10, 15, or 20 years or more.

Cons

Many processes could be more efficient, which happens as companies mature. In some cases too much diplomacy and not enough tough, but polite discussions.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2017-11-10
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "ISO"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Fast Paced, flexible work hours

Cons

Not so great benefits and compensation

Advice to Management

Hire good talent

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2017-07-02

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Senior CAD Designer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Intelligent Switchgear Organization full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good location, good benefits, flexible work schedule

Cons

Toxic culture that never changes. Business is so cyclical it causes uncertainty and stress. The key players are overworked to the point of burnout. After 3 layoffs in less than 12 months (2015-2016) the organization is still not right-sized.

Advice to Management

All the employee surveys and "advice" won't fix the problem; irrevocably broken.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2017-03-07

"Can this company recover?"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Intelligent Switchgear Organization full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are very devoted to the company. The location is very convenient. Opportunity to work from home occasionally. Good benefits.

Cons

In a word - managers. There are some horrible managers, people with good intentions but with no idea why things continue to go badly. When managers bad-mouth their direct reports and it gets around, team loses confidence and always watch their own backs. All the reorgs and layoffs that happened lately have not provided the course correction that management needed because the problems are still there, still poorly managing their rapidly fleeing talent.

Advice to Management

Replace associate managers, leads, and managers. Good engineers are rewarded with promotions into positions of leadership and wind up losing people because they don't know how to manage people.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2016-10-04

"Supply Chain"

I worked at Intelligent Switchgear Organization

Pros

None right now. With the joint venture nearing an end there isn't much positive happening. Waiting for resolution to ownership.

Cons

Drop in business makes this a very uneasy place to work. Sales force does not report to company so it could be the JV partners are prepping for the end.

Advice to Management

Resolve your future.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2016-05-18

"Cyclic income and constantly pulling in jobs"

in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Intelligent Switchgear Organization

Pros

Flexible hours but no real options to work from home if you're an engineer. Family friendly if there is an emergency. Unlimited sick days, but they do stipulate that with "There is a point where a discussion is had; so don't abuse it".

Cons

Lacking in the training side. If you're new to the business, expect to be "thrown to the wolves". This was not my experience, but I saw it with others. It seems to be getting better after they promoted a person to do training but I still think more is required in terms of depth and length of training. Most people just show up for the "Lunch" and not the Learn portion. Overtime will happen whether you want it or not. Lots or bureaucracy. They hire within a little too much. There are a few people there ,without degrees, that know a ton and could be considered international experts BUT the majority are not. People forward emails more than actually answering emails. There is a support department, but again...emails are constantly forwarded. What are they there for? No one could ever really answer that for me... Work is feast or famine. Everything is super cyclic and jobs are constantly "pulled in" from one quarter to another to meet numbers. This normally overworks the engineers....seems like one reason why I've seen almost half the engineering department leave.

Advice to Management

My exit interview with HR seemed to fall on deaf ears as I wasn't asked about anything in particular about a form I filled out. Instead I was just told that it would get passed to the appropriate people. Seems like Glassdoor shows the same people saying the same thing about this place, maybe you should review those exit interviews in more detail.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2016-05-16

"No mid or long term goals"

Pros

Located in a very nice city. Clean offices with access to green areas. Worker's knowledge and experience. Offices are near manufacturing.

Cons

As a JV the company has no clear goals. Leadership is experimenting with no defined direction. Very stressful environment. HR and key leaders are not impartial.

Advice to Management

Set goals and direction. Stay on course (new course). Define the company's future. Hire better leaders and people with the right education.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2016-03-31

"Buisness needs drastic changes"

Former Employee - Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Intelligent Switchgear Organization full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Benefits and overall compensation, though the annual bonus that was promised was never paid out. Innovative overtime compensation was fair and uncommon in the industry. Interesting and challenging engineering work.

Cons

As reported by others, company is top-heavy. Management is ineffective. Leadership is nonexistent. For years, engineers have left or been promoted out of the department, and the leaders have been unable to find and /or hire similar talent. The title "Engineer" is handed out like candy to a large number of people who do not have a degree and are not qualified to be called engineers. ISO's product (an automated control solution, ISO does not make Switchgear) was innovative 20 years ago when developed, but today the Engineering leaders are unwilling to (seriously) discuss innovation. ISO is owned by two of the largest companies, Eaton and Caterpillar. The joint venture has been operating for 15 years and is often not profitable. This is because the business model is flawed. Note: After I resigned, a new CEO was appointed who appears to understand much of these problems. Maybe positive improvements are coming?

Advice to Management

They are going to do what they want. Adding my advice here would just be a waste of my time.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2016-01-02

"Great people"

Current Employee - Director in Cumming, GA

Pros

Great environment and flexible time for work life balance. Great product and partnership with caterpillar.

Cons

Need better accountability for under performers.

Intelligent Switchgear Organization2015-11-23