Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Retail Manager"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive and Collaborative Work environment. Strong desire to promote from within, and take care of employees.

Cons

Multiple remote markets and central office, can feel corporate from time to time.

Advice to Management

Continue being supportive, and listening to the desires of the team.

2. "Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for an established, reputable company gives me confidence to sell the best coffee in the world every day. I love my job, I love coffee I'm living in my passion. I worked for the company from 2007 -10 and have returned. I happy to be back at the company who introduced me to specialty coffee.

Cons

Just like the city streets of NY, we are always under construction improving systems, pathways and infrastructure. I am excited that this company looks to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive.

"Work with Legends"

Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a wealth of knowledge to be learned via Intelli, you just need the drive to go above and beyond.

Cons

if you are not a natural networker/outgoing person it might be tricky maximizing your experience.

4. "Huge 3rd wave coffee company with a small feel"

Current Employee - Online Commun in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Commun in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decades of quality coffee experience
    Nationwide presence, Chicago/LA/NYC/Boston
    Free coffee, all the time, every day...

Cons

Short staffed in many departments
    Some roles have high turnover

Advice to Management

There could be some reorganization of Office & Management roles & responsibilities
    Work on retention

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work I look forward to coming in every day. Free bag of coffee each week is nice.

Cons

Nothing bad to say yet but we will see how it goes. I am happy working here. I see room for growth.

6. "Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Best coffee in the country, best coworkers in the country.

Cons

I have nothing but good experiences.

"Great base and initial idea, terrible favoritism and cliquish atmosphere"

Current Employee - Bar Back/Barista in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bar Back/Barista in New York, NY

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time

Pros

Great training program, great brand, free drinks, superficially at least there are a good deal of opportunities to grow with the company as it is growing, the CEO is nice and you actually get to meet her and talk to her, health insurance is great.

Cons

Very cliquish culture full of very odd people for the most part (a few are very wonderful on the plus side), lack of professionalism amongst workers (I feel as if I am working with kids), hard work is most certainly not rewarded, hours worked change often (although I am guessing this is expected in any food service job), pay is mediocre (not bad at all, but not stellar for New York City) but tips make up for some of it.

Advice to Management

The top down approach to things fails corporations and you guys are no exception. Listen to your workers and please, reward those who actually go out of their way to do a quality job without being told, not those that simply do things as quickly as possible and sacrifice quality. And please stop it with the fake progressive culture, this place is run very much like your average everyday corporation and that must stop if you are to make a name for yourself amongst workers and customers alike.

"Great place to work but hard to work here and be a graduate student."

Current Employee - Barista in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company treats you well - good pay, perks, and training. Leadership really loves the product they're selling, and this translates to the employees and creates a culture of quality and a sincere desire to serve something beautiful.

Cons

It was a hard job to hold while being a graduate student because the company expects a lot out of their employees. There was a minimum of two hours of training a week and an expectation of continued growth and learning about coffee.

9. "Great local roaster to work for!"

Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company values and breeds staff awareness & education about the brand & coffees and teas. Our store frequently had demonstrations to teach both the staff and customers about new brewing techniques. They were one of the first ones to perfect The Clover Brewing Method when it was first released. They were lucky and got some before Starbucks bought the exclusive rights to the machine. Doug, the tea purveyor, even came in and schooled us on all the awesome teas he curated throughout the world. They also train willing staff members for barista competitions and even have in-house contests to keep everyones skills up. If you're interested in the coffee business, this is a very reputable company to work for. Even as a regular employee, it's fun work.
    As far as benefits, a free lb. of coffee a week was standard. I believe you can pay into a 401k after a certain length of employment.

Cons

Some of my managers put themselves on a pedestal, acting better than everyone else. I remember two of them causing a lot of stress because of personal MOs. One even publicly shamed me for banking with Chase because they're affiliated with JP Morgan, who used to use slave money or something. Very inappropriate. But, they did know their stuff. Great training program, great advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

It's easy to become lax in a coffee shop setting, but after working with other companies, I can see that there was way too much internal drama that was not being handled by the store manager. I think more check-ins with upper management about store progress could help keep them accountable for their store's successes/failures. It seemed my store manager knew a lot about coffee, but was not fit to manage other people. Store managers need to strike a balance between the two.

10. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista/Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good wage for baristas, they're doing really cool things with farming and sourcing, great way to learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

I had a series of not great managers. They have a really awful "bonus" system in place for managers and the brunt of the responsibility for managers to get their bonus ends up on the shoulders of the hourly employees - who see little benefit from it.

Advice to Management

Change the bonus system.