InterContinental Hotels Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Keith Barr

1,383 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • None overall; consider work-life balance contingent on the position as some roles require extensive travel (in 23 reviews)

• long hours and arguments with others (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great but.."

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! Management is great!

Cons

Need more learning materials to grow

2. "Doorman"

Current Employee - Doorman in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Doorman in Boston, MA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Working outside can be tough

Advice to Management

Good work

3. "Maintenance is an ok job"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Indoor work for the most part. I was able to work full time while a knee injury healed. Very helpful to me at the time.
    The employee discount for hotel stays. I used once in Cancun, Mexico in 2015, paid $70 a night at an Intercontinental. Other guest paid $330 a night. Stayed in Utah, Nevada, Cali for about half price many times. Useful if you do traveling frequently.
    My G.M. was very understanding about family outside of work.
    Always made sure I had the tools to do my job.

Cons

It's corporate. There's not much freedom to do things anyway other than theirs. Franchise is limited in what changes can be made. Our hotel wouldn't allow overtime, which was a bummer for me. And holidays also I was required to to be there, but wasn't paid. So Memorial day week becomes 4-10 hour days if I want full pay that week.
    *Training was good.
    Biggest con is guests. We can't really turn away scum, if their credit card clears. Even if they look like they are going to do drugs and party. They cause damage, and the danger of contact with drug residue is real. Fentanyl is not something I want to ever have a chance encounter with! Guests put plastic bags on the smoke detectors so they can smoke weed, or just cigs.
    In this industry, the guest has more power than ever. Writing a review against the property reflects poorly on our image, and most times we don't get to tell our side of the story. Rating on a scale of 1-10 is scored with anything less than a 7 equals zero. That's B.S., pulls down scores fast. Most guests are nice and well-behaved, but some guests get angry, and there's the group that sneaks in their dogs and claims it's a service animal. Grrr, more cleanup. And they don't pick up the dog poo either. I was close to putting out poison for them, but it's not the animals fault, it's the owner. Wish i could have smeared the poo on the owners windshield. Clean up after your illegal pets!
    Also, guests need to understand we do our best to get the room ready from the last slob who lived like a pig.

Advice to Management

I was treated well, just remember your employees have a life more important than the work at the hotel. There can be high turnover because the job isn't really satisfying. A few bad days at work and someone getting on your case is all it takes to bid farewell. It's not really a career, just a job till you find something better. Don't get paid enough to live well on a single income.

4. "Relaxed Environment"

Pros

Room to grow. Everyone is very friendly

Cons

Boring sometimes. More work needed

Advice to Management

no advice to the management.

5. "Former IHG GM"

Former Employee - General Manager in Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - General Manager in Great Falls, MT

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IHG is a fairly good national hotel brand franchise company to work for. The do lean heavy on GM's doing much data entry type work, due to the many websites, programs you must log into each day/week and keep updated. They do, in general, show support for GM's, as well as handle issues diplomatically

Cons

If you have a desire, or need to not be stuck at your desk all day, then IHG may not be the company for you. There were drastic increases in expectations for GM's to stay on top of all of the different "garbage in/garbage out" software programs, websites

Advice to Management

Think and evaluate what smaller property GM's are expected to do, and ask themselves if they would want to spend every day like that

6. "I Like It"

Pros

Everyone here is so fun to work with, really laid back.

Cons

No benefits whatsoever, No raises.

Advice to Management

None.

7. "So professional."

Current Employee - Banquet Server in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in New York, NY

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork really works there. the great benefits they give their employees and an organizational system that works well.

Cons

I dont know any there.

Advice to Management

Just Thank you.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - IT Bus in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Bus in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great company overall. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes assigned too many projects at once and not enough capacity to work on them all.

9. "Seasonal Work"

Former Employee - Oktoberfest in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Oktoberfest in Addison, TX

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time

Pros

Professional. Fun. Fairly organized for the large sized but small time frame event.

Cons

Pay schedule is odd. Wait a while for check.

"Reservation Specialist"

Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Place to work , Family Feel .

Cons

Wages could be better , Insurance was way to much for the little that you actually got . Limited good health care providers with the insurance provider.

Advice to Management

Look for a better insurance company to facilitate the employees . Raise the wage to go with the cost of living in the area.

Showing 1,383 of 1,502 reviews