InterContinental Hotels Group Reviews | Glassdoor

InterContinental Hotels Group CEO Keith Barr
Keith Barr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is not too great" (in 29 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours and double shifts are required" (in 38 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Alamogordo, NM
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Alamogordo, NM

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are supportive, manager believes that happy employees are good for business, room to advance

Cons

Sometimes long hours and double shifts are required

Advice to Management

I love the passion for the job that you have

Oct 12, 2018 – Program Analyst, Americas Talent Resourcing

Thanks for your review. We're glad to hear that you feel IHG is a great place to work!
    I encourage you to speak with your GM about your shift, as we certainly want to avoid any "burn out... More

2. "Voice Specialist"

Pros

Good pay, good hours, friendly staff, felt like a family, had functions during lunch.

Cons

Company closed in November, hard metrics to hit numbers, bonuses were cut based on metrics, no longer had celebrations, all money was spent by upper management.

Feb 25, 2019 – Program Analyst, Americas Talent Resourcing

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would love to connect with you more regarding your feedback, as I can assure you that the company is still open and bonus' have not yet been... More

3. "The Clement of Monterey is the perfect place to help anyone understand and grow as a professional in hospitality."

Pros

Many areas of of work available to try.
    Education and training offered by employers.
    Many opportunities in different areas for advancement.
    High volume of business for year round earnings.

Cons

High diversity and turn around of employees which makes it difficult to build friendly relations.
    High expectations and low tolerance for poor performance.

Advice to Management

Displaying more compassion and understanding for employee’s shared background and present lives. Leaving room for building a closer relationship and greater trust amongst all staff in all areas of business.

4. "Change management"

Pros

Great benefits, insurance 401k, employee room rates

Cons

The Salary is not competitive

5. "Great Place to work."

Former Employee - Team Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing group of people to work with. I very much enjoyed it.

Cons

They closed the office and sent all of their reservation calls to the DR.

6. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone here is incredibly nice. Many companies say it, but they really DO care about their employees.

Cons

Salaries are on the lower end, and it can be difficult to move up, depending who you know.

Mar 14, 2019 – Employer Brand Coordinator

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to write this review.

It's good to read that you feel valued. It's important to us, so it's great to see you feel it too. And we agree, great people make a... More

7. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, great benefits, awesome hotel discounts, love the culture, wonderful people, great view, free parking, free gym

Cons

I do not think there are any Cons for working at IHG.

Advice to Management

Schedule less meetings and encourage everyone to send less emails.

8. "Cook"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Memphis, TN

Pros

Enjoy being able to satisfy guests with high quality of service . It also gives the opportunity to meet with and greet people who are from other parts of the world.

Cons

If you are not working in the front of the house it becomes difficult to get first hand information about the quality of your direct service to the guest.

"They are not sure what they want to be"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InterContinental Hotels Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, decent benefits. There are many jobs at IHG that have almost no responsibility and will never ask that much from you; its a great place to cool your heels for a few years and get paid. The culture is very pro-worker.

Cons

Chaos at the top levels, no one direction of the company, because no one really knows what is expected of them there are lots of people just punching the clock. You have to understand that IHG is run like multiple companies. Each region is its own company. Each brand is its own company. Because of this, it is very hard to ensure everyone is working towards the same goals. IHG is remarkably bad at making sure people are working towards the same goals. Their last reorg promised to solve this, but ended up with tons of groups working against each other. The amount of process to do anything was immense. You could easily have your entire roadmap stuck in some weird Kafkaesque prioritization process and never have to actually do anything.

Advice to Management

Decide what kind of company you want to be and make a plan to go in that direction. I had hopes the last reorg would solve some of these issues, but it was clear that they were just made worse. Your ways of working shouldn't require someone to be a hero to get things done. If I had been ok with never actually doing anything and just filing paperwork everyday, I could have stayed forever.

10. "Great Place to Gain Experience"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Opportunity to be exposed to a wide range of technology projects, and gain experience solving problems for a global organization. Also, they generally respect the work/life balance of their employees.

Cons

IHG is a great place for employees that are content to continue working and gaining experience in their current roles. However, there is not much opportunity for advancement.

Feb 25, 2019 – Program Analyst, Americas Talent Resourcing

Thanks for sharing your experience. We certainly take pride in fostering an environment that allows for you to have a healthy work/life balance, so it's great to hear that you enjoy the benefits of... More