Interactive Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management don't care about the lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

• Understandably they are trying to keep up with rapid growth but it's ok to take advice and be wrong instead of blindly pushing ahead with bad ideas (in 12 reviews)

1. "Strategic Alliances"

Former Employee - Alliance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Alliance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respectful mid-western culture and work environment. A rare category leader based outside Silicon Valley.

Cons

Mid-western pay scale does not account for regional cost of living adjustments.

"I3 was a great company!"

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome culture and great people

Cons

Once the decision was made to sell, many folks were cut to make it look good for purchase

Advice to Management

NA - left before Genesys took over

3. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management Team and Company Culture. Very strong product offering

Cons

Too much overlap and account conflict within sales organization.

Advice to Management

More effectively distribute active accounts and acquisition opportunities among sales team.

"Tough Environment, unless you are a Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Former Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Former Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

smart people, autonomy, on-site health clinic, growing company

Cons

Leadership was not always in touch with the reality of the culture. Thought is was great, but didn't see issues as the company grew. Unless you were an engineer, worked in development, or were one of the "favorite first few", you did not feel valued. Slow (if ever) to keep up with longer term employee's salary adjustment. The company should have sold years before it did.

"individual contributor"

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Prior to 2014, ININ was a wonderful place to work. I truly enjoyed my job, loved the people and the energy of the company. It was a place to be innovative, work in a fun environment and build great products. The company grew from "guidelines" vs. hard structured policies which allowed us to have an open environment where new ideas were implemented. Leadership also really cared about their teams and let them test their wings.

Cons

After 2014, some high level positions were filled with people because of who they knew (or worked with prior) vs. the knowledge and experience to do the job. Having strong innovative people work under policy driven" leaders" ( I use that word lightly) who ran from conflict or anything that forced some unwanted action is what started to sink this ship.

Too many times, those in VP or Director roles would engage with and promote only those they liked vs those that were proven performers. Communication outside that favored group was nonexistent. The lack of backbone these people brought to the table was at times, amusing. We paid a global director a 6 figure salary to not have any global responsibilities. Also had a number of VP's who were rarely visible or accessible. The layer of Directors and managers in place for one organization was thick and cumbersome thus no support, feedback or opportunity to enhance your professional development was available.

I saw great people that had built great things for this company be escorted out the door like criminals because they didn't fit in the the favored group or immature managers decided it was time for them to go. Perhaps giving people the real reason for being removed might have helped, but that would mean facing conflict which again, is not an attribute ININ's leaders were hired on. It's amazing and sad what bad "leaders" can do to a group of solid performing employees.

Advice to Management

Putting people who have no idea what the attributes of a true leader are (or don't want to learn) into high level positions was a huge mistake. Incorporating a 360 performance review is a must for any company if you want to know the real truth about what your employees are facing. As it's been said....." people don't leave companies... they leave managers!!"

6. "Great Place to work!"

Former Employee - Associate Software Test Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Software Test Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome laid back environment! Work hard play hard mentality!

Cons

There were a lot of changes going on while I was there which made it feel like I was gonna lose my job any time.

7. "The Little Engine That Could...and Did."

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product line was always solid and could adapt quickly to market demand. There was always something new to learn and new ways to contribute. It has been a "work hard, play hard" culture since long before that became a thing.

Cons

Rapid changes in direction - the next big thing gets all the attention and you can feel like you are left behind when working on last year's next big thing.

Advice to Management

First to market is great, but you have make sure once you are there you remain best in the space.

"Could've been something good"

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance
    Surrounded by people who want to do their best
    Lots of perks and amenities
    Cafe

Cons

In 2015 and early 2016 when layoffs were occurring, the atmosphere immediately became toxic. It became an environment where everyone looked over their shoulder and talked quietly behind closed doors. It didn't used to be like that, but it was unbearable. It turned teams and people against each other and exacerbated already sophomoric politics.

Career opportunities were definitely available to those that were favored. All kinds of huge raises and promotions doled out to those who ended up on the right side of the politics. Everyone else was ignored while they picked up the slack and took on what the good ol boys weren't finishing.

Advice to Management

Quit with the dishonesty and secrecy. Allowing the rumor mill to run rampant while the CEO is actively trying to sell the company doesn't help anyone.

"From Phenomenal to Pathetic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I worked full time for ININ when it was a great company. Great HR, good ideas, good culture, etc. I left for a different job in a different state and kind a regretted having to leave at the time. However, I have stayed in the loop of what has gone on the past year or two and it is just so sad to see how far the company has fallen. Please buyer or potential employee of Genesys (who absorbed ININ) beware. See comments below in the Cons section.

Cons

Recently, it appears the CEO lost interest in who they put in charge of departments at ININ. That is the polite way of looking at it. How else does one account for people in positions of power (and stay in power) who operate in an underhanded ways. People doing jobs that they have no idea (and literally no professional experience) doing. Not to mentioned all the dishonesty involved. Wouldn't an interested CEO be involved enough to know when this is going on? Nearly whole teams have abandoned ship to avoid the downfall. That is prior and in addition to the problems of merger with the new company Genesys. Usually acquisitions, "mergers", involve layoffs, but obviously they don't even care about their employees enough to provide meaningful severance (employees who have worked for the company for many years with only a token gesture of compensation). And how layoffs are determined is apparently by whoever is the manger's favorite person (not who has the most experience and value to the company). It stinks of inexperienced, unprofessional, narcisstic managers who can't see beyond their own warped image of themselves and their ambition. I'm sure that will lead the company in the right direction

Advice to Management

Investigate and cut off the diseased mid-upper managers

"It's much different than when I started."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started the culture was awesome. We had plenty of outings, parties, and other team building activities. There were create opportunities to grow and advance in your career, really felt like a place that I was going to stay.

Cons

As we got closer to the Merger, I feel like the culture changed a bit. Lost quite a few good people and just doesn't feel the same anymore.