Interactive Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes an issue (in 20 reviews)

• The upper management don't care about the lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

"Past and Present: Time is Illmatic"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Public past; private equity future.

Windows/on-premise past; Linux/cloud future.

Engineering-heavy past; product-heavy future.

Indiana past; California/NC/International future.

Founder benevolent dictator past; mega-corporate future.

Neither should be preferred. Both are equal.

Cons

'Interactive Intelligence Responses' on reviews here are intriguingly inane, hollow - as if an empty soul pasted them. But I can't know what they've been through, so I do not judge.

"It's much different than when I started."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started the culture was awesome. We had plenty of outings, parties, and other team building activities. There were create opportunities to grow and advance in your career, really felt like a place that I was going to stay.

Cons

As we got closer to the Merger, I feel like the culture changed a bit. Lost quite a few good people and just doesn't feel the same anymore.

3. "Delivers for customers and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! Many opportunities and directions to go based on your strengths and interests. Market leader. Enough process to execute well and not let people mess things up, but not more than what is needed. Smart designs and good security especially with the CaaS cloud offerings.

Cons

Change is the name of the game. The market shifts and new technologies emerge rapidly. You have to be able to change and learn new things. Often it means you need to trust that the leadership and visionaries in the company have perspectives that allow them chart a course in the right direction into the future and thay sometimes they will be wrong, but we will learn from it and get to the right place faster. Recent 'bet the farm' type investments into the cloud seem like bigger shifts than in the past, but that is likely going to be one of the most important pivots the company has ever made. You can always 2nd guess if it was too soon, too much, or not enough, but you cannot say ININ was indecisive, too afraid to change, or didn't have the right people to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Do what it takes to keep ININ full of the best people. That means having the right incentives to keep the top talent. You have to keep the people everyone loves working with, the people everyone says are the reason they stay at ININ. That also means dropping low performers. Do not let the good people feel like they need to carry deadweight. Lastly, keep listening and facilitation discussion (especially the cross team collaboration). Getting to know leaders in different departments really builds bridges that pay dividends in ways you just cannot predict. Most of all it prevents silos, which have historically resulted in some internal "us" and "them", which mostly arises from ignorance due to not knowing each other and not having those connections between trusted influencers.

5. "A nice company"

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

In the division I work in, I see and interact with a lot of very smart people. My team lead is one of my former coworkers. I feel like people are very approachable and very interested in trying new things.

Cons

I'm very concerned which direction Genesis will take PureCloud in the future. I feel like employees will either bolt or the transition will go ok. We'll see I guess

Advice to Management

Remember that when somebody enters the company they can be a gateway for many more to follow. Likewise when somebody leaves or is let go.

6. "Change"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence as an intern

Pros

I really like the feel of the company. Management understands that the job can be boring so they keep spirits pretty high. The pay is pretty great to.

Cons

This company has been going though a lot of changes since I started, and it can be difficult to find focus. I think this is more since we are a public company than anything else.

"Flexibility"

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

flexibility to work from home, nice work/life balance, good co-workers, fun environment if you make it fun

Cons

not sure if/how the culture will change with the acquisition

8. "Great life to work balance"

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time

Pros

Work/Life Balance is excellent
    Salaries appear to be competitive
    Working remotely from home is allowed

Cons

There are some antiquated SDLC practices need updating
    Product Management needs to be more informative and have greater input as to the direction of features

Advice to Management

If the company would match 401K contributions, it would make the company more competitive as far as benefits are concerned.

Oct 17, 2016 – Sourcing and Social Media Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to ensure our Team Members are challenged and enjoy the Interactive culture. We offer top technology to our clients and give Team Members an opportunity to ... More

9. "Solid Company"

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence part-time

Pros

Great people, wonderful personality
    They have a work hard play hard mentality and it shows
    The Testing department has many people who care about a quality product and about people in and of themselves

Cons

The company is larger, and at times suffers from its rapid growth and has some teams that are less organized than others
    Most of the management is super solid and great to work with, but asking some lower level people questions and communicating across teams can be difficult.

Advice to Management

I don't have much to give as advice. Maybe just that they would continue to hire people that care about both the people they work with and the product they work on.

Oct 17, 2016 – Sourcing and Social Media Strategist

"Fun place to work in spite of management"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Benefits plan is robust with good health insurance and 401k options. Reimbursement for educational advancement is amazing. Coworkers are generally likable with few issues.

Cons

Hours can be excessive at times with. Upper management (VP and up) can seem disconnected from workforce and have more of a "get it done no matter what" attitude that causes burn-out. Feels like we are considered easily replaceable so they don't try to have higher retention rates

Advice to Management

Need to reconnect with workforce and strive to be leaders and not just bosses.

Oct 17, 2016 – Sourcing and Social Media Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to ensure our Team Members are challenged and enjoy the Interactive culture. At Interactive Intelligence we are dedicated to supporting our staff to expand ... More

"No longer one of the best places to work"

Current Employee - Sales Solutions Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Solutions Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a positive atmosphere and that goes a long way. Your empowered as much as you wish. Some managers respect you. You can succeed as much as you want... or fail. Opinions are respect just in US and innovation is expected.

Cons

- too many middle managers (team leads, managers, sr manager, etc);
    - Is the Company being Sold or not. Hell if anyone knows. The uncertainly is very distracting!!
    -Old Company is in Decline, moral is low
    -Leadership is not ready for prime time
    -Many enjoy a cushy job while others pick up the slack.
    Too many inefficient layers of middle management (Team Leads, Team Managers, Service Delivery Managers, Project Managers, Directors). All bicker over who carries the biggest stick which employees pay the price. Inefficient policies and procedures result. I have to get multiple Global approvals for changes specific to LATAM.
    Promotions often given to good ole boys…

Advice to Management

Stay close with your team as changes are made. Keeping everyone informed is a much better way to incorporate changes. Don't ask someone to do something you wouldn't be willing to do yourself.

Oct 17, 2016 – Sourcing and Social Media Strategist

At Interactive Intelligence, we hire innovative and forward thinking individuals who have the gravitas to work positively with their colleagues and managers in ensuring goals are reached whether that ... More