Interactive Intelligence Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes an issue (in 20 reviews)

• The upper management don't care about the lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

"Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization genuinely cares about the well being of their employees. In some positions you are given the power to have an impact and facilitate positive change. The company promoted health and healthy lifestyles and is constantly striving to improve in this area. ININ is the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

As the company has grown it has grown far more bureaucratic. Many departments have management bottlenecks which slow down reaction times and decisions. We do a very poor job of using our own technology. We have to fill out a Word document to on board new customers, our lead generation team doesn't use Dialer.

Advice to Management

Adopt the "startup" principals that got us where we are today.

"Not what I expected from a company with a product in the cloud."

Current Employee - Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, a lot of documentation exists for self starters, great product to take to market. Company is making significant changes to be a top cloud leader.

Cons

A lot of primary objectives yet no map/outline of how to achieve those objectives at a departmental level. Political culture exists between departments and even though company's direction is focused on becoming a market leader in the cloud, there is a disconnect on this philosophy internally. Management feels dated at times, not as progressive as one would think a cloud leader should be. Employee development is lacking. Salaries should be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Core values can be great for company culture and morale. Invest in employees as a means to retain top talent. Prepare the next round of leaders, those promoted from within, not just based on the job they do well, for their ability to develop and nurture talent that will lead to improved customer satisfaction levels. Work life balance (the work hard, play hard mentality) does not exist in all departments and should be evaluated for the cloud-based teams. Executive leaders should be developing action plans, taking responsibility for decisions, and communicating. There should also be an environment of trust and accountability.

"Over-rated"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you live in Indiana this is a great place to work at. Hence most of the rave reviews are people from Indiana. You can plow corn or work at Interactive Intelligence.

Cons

- Despite all the self-promoting hype this is a really small company still.
    - Definitely a tier 2 or 3 player still so the customer base is mostly small companies or companies of questionable repute (eg. debt collectors, telemarketing). Interactive sells to companies that Avaya, Cisco and Genesys won't bother with.
    - Not exactly bleeding edge. Call routing is 25+ year old technology.

Advice to Management

- Bring in professional management especially in the sales department.

4. "I am allowed to be myself due to a culture that encourages individuality while working with the brightest minds."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Culture to work in, more like family than coworkers.
    - Learn something new everyday
    - Always challenged, never bored

Cons

To me this is my dream job and company. No CONs to report.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team as they aren't mind readers. Let them know how they are doing throughout the year rather than at their yearly review. This allows them to grow and address issues they may not be aware of.

5. "GG"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, very developer-centric, nice offices and technology, innovation is encouraged, benefits are good. Collaborative project management environment helps with innovation (when it works).

Cons

Conflicting goals are common, typical to a growing company. Pay is average or slightly below.

Advice to Management

Company is growing rapidly, which means that newer employees (less than 5 years) can feel less involved. Find ways to encourage and develop newer employees.

6. "Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Project Coordiinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Coordiinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, the entrepreneurial atmosphere, the work life balance and the people.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Managers don't seem to mentor as much as they could/should. The pay is great when you come in the door but raises and promotions are slim.

Advice to Management

Take more time with your employees to help them achieve their goals. They will be more than grateful and will want to work harder because of it.

7. "Moving on UP!!"

Current Employee - RSM in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - RSM in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is on great path-

Cons

Need to build out teams with great people as they grow-hire slow and get better people

Advice to Management

Keep it up Senior Management

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Functionality Test Engineer, Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Functionality Test Engineer, Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership is interested in your goals and projects. Great mentor program.

Cons

If you are self-motivated, there are no cons. If you need someone to be telling you what to do all the time, that doesn't happen here.

Advice to Management

Improve mentor-intern selection method.

Interactive Intelligence Response

Aug 15, 2013 – Intern Program Manager

Delighted to hear you're having a great experience! Feel free to contact me directly about mentor-intern selection methods. What you do at ININ matters.

"Company lives up to it's reputation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interactive Intelligence has a very close knit work environment where people actually care about you. The individuals in the organization want to be involved in opportunities to serve the customers. I have never worked for such a great organization in my 15 year career. It's not likely that there are other companies like Interactive out there.

Cons

There really are no cons for working here from my perspective. Once you've seen how other companies treat their team members, you can't find cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate plans to the team.

"This has been a great place for me to settle down and build my career."

Current Employee - Team Lead, Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Team Lead, Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of intelligent individuals here to work with, and every one of them are willing to share their knowledge. My manager takes care of my needs, and I generally do not run into other employee conflicts. There are flexible work hours, and the company certainly cares about its employees and their families.

Cons

The only Con is that I didn't start working here sooner.

Advice to Management

I have not had any problems with Management, which is amazing.