Interactive Intelligence Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Interactive Intelligence Chairman, President, and CEO Donald E. Brown
Donald E. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance with many company events (in 52 reviews)

• Thriving technology company in America's heartland with a Silicon Valley "work hard/play hard" culture (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes an issue (in 20 reviews)

• The upper management don't care about the lower level employees (in 13 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Very engaging and challenging environment. Great people all around, highly intelligent co-workers. Always a drive to make you succeed. PLENTY of room for growth and opportunity to expand skill sets.

Cons

I found myself in a position that I would have been stuck in for 18 months before I could potentially transfer to somewhere else in the company. It was an internship. The experience was great, but the work wasn't really aligned with what I went to school for and I wanted to try something more aligned with my degree, which wasn't an option due to graduation and lack of allowing a post-grad to re-intern. I understand this completely, so I left pursue work more aligned with my degree. GREAT PLACE though, just wasn't an option/choice for me in the department I worked.

I will say there was a lot of people breathing down your neck, i.e. your boss, your bosses boss, and his boss may all message you in the same day to get something in particular finished when another already assigned you to do something else. Causes stress to be told to work multiple things at the same time...you're only one person.

Advice to Management

Not a lot of advice to give, you guys are doing an amazing job there! I would have loved to find something there more aligned with my degree, it just was not an option was how it was explained to me at the time.

"Nice when I was an intern, but no direction afterwards"

Former Employee - Associate Network Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Network Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some great people I worked with and I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the beginning. Fun company outings during the year, decent pay for a first job out of college.

Cons

After I was hired on full time I found that the work I was doing never quite seemed less important as time went on. Organizational changes came often leaving me with a manager who couldn't have cared less. Along with many others in late 2014 I was laid off with basically no notice. This was a good place when I was an intern, but as a full time employee I never really got the chance to expand my skills.

Advice to Management

Big piece of advice would be to hire quality employees for management positions. Just because some people work hard doesn't mean they're good for a management position. Work on giving your employees the skills they will need to be useful, rather than pigeonholing them.

"Treats long term employees like crap"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Interactive Intelligence (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people and interesting work. I learned a lot and had a chance to pick up some new tech skills. There is a lot of innovation and good product ideas.

Cons

When ININ needs to save money to satisfy Wall Street, long term employees better watch out. I had exemplary reviews and good relationships with my colleagues. I was forced to resign and sign an agreement that I would never work at ININ again.

The 401k package is the worst I've had in my 20 years in tech. Less than a 2% match and the match is only done once a year. That's why ININ lays of its employees in the 4th quarter; it doesn't have to pay the match!l

Advice to Management

There's a reason people with experience demand and deserve higher salaries. Stability among employees is a good thing. Stop looking to hire college grads on the cheap.

4. "Great for recent college grads without prior work experience"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+as far as support goes, everyone is out to help you, not hinder you
    +no micromanagement unless you actually screw up, in which case, it's needed to give you feedback
    +management is all promoted from within so they know what you are going through
    +people generally stay for more than a year (especially at HQ) so turnover low
    +HR very helpful

Cons

-opportunities for different career paths (software development, management) differs based on whether you are at HQ or not (kinda obvious I know...HQ=everything, Raleigh=software dev, Irvine=support/PSO, everywhere else = remote support/project manager)
    -ability to affect actual product direction very limited, (but if you wanted that, you'd work at a startup anyways)

Advice to Management

please fix cloud support (which you are already trying to do so props on listening)

"Future looks bright!"

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interactive Intelligence combines a West Coast attitude, an East Coast work ethic, and Midwest Values to make a fantastic place to work! The atmosphere is laid back and the work is satisfying! Our future vision is going to make us a major competitor on a global scale for a long time to come!

Cons

We are currently in a transition period that makes day to day work somewhat stressful. Rapid growth also makes it difficult to keep up with staffing. Our particular department has been hindered by a lack of software development support as they have been pulled to develop for our newer innovations. This can occasionally limit our ability to provide speedy support to our customers.

Advice to Management

Increased hiring in areas of development and support will ensure that we are able to provide the excellent customer service that Interactive Intelligence is known for!

6. "Sr. Systems Engineer"

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most managers are flexible with PTO needs.
    Onsite clinic provides free health care and prescriptions
    24hr onsite gym
    Large opportunities for advancement

Cons

If no one volunteers for for undesirable tasks, they will be assigned. This can include entry level support being assigned to senior level engineers.

Insurance does not cover fertility treatment such as IVF

7. "Easily the best place I've ever worked."

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of things to do to get involved in the company culture, management is involved, I like the people I work with and there are free bagels on Fridays, so many good things.

Cons

The work itself can be very demanding, it takes a lot to get used to working hard enough so you have time to enjoy the activities there are here. It is definitely worth it though, and once you get into the swing of things, it is much easier to actually have time to enjoy the extra things.

Advice to Management

Keep things the way they are! The only thing I could possibly have an issue with right now is not understanding the job as well as I'd like, but I just started and already I'm way ahead of where I was, so I'd say just keep doing things the way you are doing them.

8. "Company really cares about it's employees."

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company really cares about it's employees and even though you're on salary they don't expect you to work when you gets home or spend extra time at the office. They respect the time you put it at work and you needing to just be at home relaxing.

Cons

Working with a bunch of intelligent people they don't always spell things out for you which is frustrating when you're first starting.

9. "Solid company at which to work"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative company that provides growth/challenge opportunities with a solid outlook for industry growth and leadership. Benefits are more than sufficient and pay within industry norms. There is plenty of work to be done yet there is flexibility available to keep life balance.

Cons

You can poll 100 different employees and likely get 100 different "cons." In my opinion a valid "con" would have to be one for which there is no solution or requires an employee to take extreme measures to correct. That being said I have not experienced any "cons" in my five years of employment with Interactive Intelligence. If you are a competent and dedicated employee you will be able to handle any of the hardships you will encounter here with regards to work life. Most of those hardships will be a result of the tremendous growth the company is experiencing, however, this is part and parcel of working for a company that has good products that customers are excited to buy.

Advice to Management

We promote many employees to management. Some of them don't do well as managers. We need to "fail" fast in those positions. I have experienced some ineffectual managers in key positions. I am speaking specifically to the manager/subordinate relationship. If I could change one thing it would be the amount of feedback some managers provide throughout the year to subordinates. An employee shouldn't need to wait an entire year to get documented official feedback on their performance.

10. "A great great environment and people."

I have been working at Interactive Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great great benefits to ensure that every employee can works in the best environment ever. Always make sure the level of the knowledge is always up to date. Senior staff always there to help you in difficult time.

Cons

A challenging place to work in. Always make sure that your mental level was there if you wish to keep on going up.