Intercare Therapy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arnon “Noni” Heller

Pros
  • They are always willing to help which is nice considering the challenging nature of the work (in 4 reviews)

• ICT is really a great company to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • and benefits are only offered to full-time/close to (in 13 reviews)

• I remember receiving praise from upper management for my zero absences and constant praise for high IOA scores from my case manager (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inerventionist"

Pros

I miss working at Intercare. I regret leaving but at the same time I've learned how other companies operate. Intercare is one of the most ethical, legit, and organized place to work at. Parents, this is the place you want your kids to receive services from. I guarantee you that you will see your case supervisor on a regular basis to make sure that the interventionist is running ALL programs correctly. I don't guarantee that you'll have the same interventionist for ever but you will not be left without services. Other companies will take in more clients that they can handle, therefore leaving your child without services for long periods of time. Another guarantee, your interventionist will receive an intense 2 or 3 week training. Other companies will only provide a few hours of "training" and just put them out there which land up as baby sitters not knowing a clue on how to teach your child the goals necessary. You have lots of support and you learn, learn, learn! The only reason I haven't gone back to Intercare is because I can't leave my current clients with the mess they were left with and it would be unethical....how do I know, part of my ethical knowledge was gained through school but mostly came from my experience working at Intercare. If you're planning to become a BCBA I highly advice you to stay here. I'm learning the hard way. I promise you won't regret gaining hands on experience at Intercare.

Cons

Not a con but just a suggestion. Give your interventionist regular and specific praise. I remember receiving praise from upper management for my zero absences and constant praise for high IOA scores from my case manager...it felt very good. It only made me work harder. Make evaluations regular, that's what was missing. Acknowledge and congratulate your staff when they turn in a certificate or degree. Other than that, I hope to be back some day. Thank you for all that you taught me.

Advice to Management

Keep being Intercare!

Sep 21, 2016 – CEO

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Your feedback regarding employee praise is very much appreciated. We have been focusing on providing more praise whenever possible and ... More

2. "Outstanding culture / High quality ABA services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for NPAs in the ABA world for the past 10 years, I have never felt completely at home until I started to work with Intercare Therapy. The entire culture at Intercare is saturated with a passion for excellence in the services we provide to our clients and families, to the enjoyment and satisfaction of our staff, and to the outstanding overall work/life balance provided. The clinical integrity of the programs and continued oversight by BCBA staff members provides the absolute best quality service that sets Intercare apart from other agencies in the industry. Staff members are truly treated like family, and are passionate in the relentless pursuit to help our clients achieve their maximum potential and highest quality of life. As the company continues to grow, this naturally creates opportunities for career advancements both locally and across all service areas covered by Intercare. I'm truly excited and proud to be an Intercare employee, and my only regret is that I didn't join the team sooner. For those that want to make a positive impact in the lives of others, establish and continue a vibrant career, and feel valued by an employer who treats you like family; Intercare Therapy is where you should be.

Cons

No specific cons to share at this point in time.

3. "Behavior Interventionist"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Orange, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive management. Truly dedicated to providing top quality services to families. Have opportunities to engage with coworkers in the company (can feel isolated in this field). Constant praise for good work and constructive feedback for improvement. Opportunities for growth within the company. Flexible hours.

Cons

Takes time to develop a somewhat consistent work schedule (took almost 2 months of employment to get up to 30 hours).

"Bottom of the Barrel"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only positive is the children.

Cons

You will receive two weeks (not even full days) of very simplistic training with no practical experience. They will then have you complete two shadows sessions where you have no opportunity to take the lead or apply what you have been taught. That's it and then you are working independently. Program Managers (these are not even BCBAs) will come along once a week, but they are often BIs with a year or so of experience who can't assist when you or the client have questions. Clinical Supervisors will only appear about once per month, which is a completely ineffective amount to affect any real change or have any real knowledge of a client's need and the family dynamic. The BIs also have no one to turn to if they have issues with personal stress, etc. as they don't have advisors or HR contacts outside of the VP for the whole company who is highly unreachable to entry level employees. Pay is likewise of the lowest tier and benefits are the same.

Advice to Management

Advice to potential employees: Avoid this place at all costs! Any other agency will offer you more money, better scheduling, better training, better supervision, and not allow you to undergo enough stress to burn you out.

May 15, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for reaching out and for expressing your frustrations. I am so sorry to hear you were disappointed by your Intercare experience. I want to apologize for the negative experience you had, and ... More

"Behavioral Interventionist"

Current Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have so far enjoyed my first 6 weeks on the job as a Behavioral Interventionist. I love working with my one client as well as working with other BI's. Everyone has been so kind and helpful during the first few weeks I've been working here.

Cons

The only downside I have right now is that I'm only working with one client and it would be nice to get more clients to work with. So far, I'm only working 16 hours, but some weeks, it's less than that.

"Behavior Interventionist"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Hayward, CA

I worked at Intercare Therapy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the company you'll wanthe your kids to be apart of if you want Applied Behavior Analysis therapy. I learned at lot with this company. All the programs were taught each session. You'll get feedback from supervisors on how well you're doing and if you needed to adjust anything.

Cons

I left because I never received a raise being here for 2 years and I only had 8 hours about a week of work.

Advice to Management

Give your staff a raise yearly. Instead of hiring new people a lot, try to give your current staff about 20 hours a week instead of 8 or 10.

Mar 8, 2017 – CEO

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am so sorry to hear that you were not able to get enough hours while working with us. We are constantly working on how to maximize ... More

"Program Manager Position"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable and friendly BCBA supervisors

Cons

- Employee reviews are inconsistent and don't happen often
    - Pay is terrible and unfair
    - Can be a stressful job
    - Accruing paid vacation is like watching grass grown (1.5 hours every 2 weeks, approximately 1 week of paid vacation a year)

Advice to Management

Consider salary based position for program manager or pay a fair, livable wage.

"Great Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Intercare Therapy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with this company for about a year and a half, and overall I really loved working there. I remember when they had us shadow other BIs I had the luck of getting the guy who was frustrated with the company. However, I wanted to see how the job was for myself. Yes, this line of duty does have a high turnover because it's not for everyone. Come on, we work with people who have disabilities, and that does require patience, understanding, and heart (frankly, the ability to be bitten, scratched, smacked, pushed, screamed and yet still be able to act appropriately is a huge plus). I would say that Pros would be:
    - this job is very enriching = you help out families with their kiddos, and you grow a bond with them that no one else has. You learn to laugh at the simple things in life and bring home the most interesting behaviors because let me tell you... certain behaviors are contagious.
    - your schedule is very flexible = you set your hours that you want to work, and scheduling will try to work as best with your schedule as they can (word of advice, don't expect your work hours to go perfectly with your schedule... that's just unreasonable... schedulers are trying to get your hours to fit the hours of the clients... be considerate of the families as well... my suggestion, open your hours at least from 7:30am-3:30pm and you're more than likely to get a school client in LAUSD... most stable hours... I started with all of my hours available except Sundays, and I received clients really quick. If you're willing to work more hours, call your scheduler... sometimes they need to look for some one to cover another case... that's where you get the most experience working in the field.
    - you're pretty much playing with your kiddo while you work
    - the more you communicate with your supervisor (program manager, BID) the better your experience will be
    - Many opportunities to move up the working ladder = they will help you become a BID/PM if you put in the effort.
    - if you have a school client you get to on field trips sometimes!

Cons

okay... there are some cons... but they're minor:
    - Driving to clients = yes, you do drive, a lot, if you have a lot of in home clients. It's part of the job. There's no way around it. Sorry.
    - Compensation: I started at $15.00 and after a year and a half I still didn't make it $16.00. If you feel you deserve a raise, make sure to communicate to your superiors.
    - Stability = clients are likely to cancel sessions without prior notice. (PRO: you do get compensated if you're called less then two hours before the scheduled session. As i'd mentioned before, school clients are most stable and schedulers are always looking for school coverage.

I hope this helps.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Always remember to communicate with your people. Give more raises, or some sort of compensation for work that's done well.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this thorough review. Thank you for the excellent points. We will continue to work on culture and proactive communication from our scheduling ... More

"Great Company"

Former Employee - BCBA Supervisor in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - BCBA Supervisor in Hayward, CA

I worked at Intercare Therapy (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Hayward office is run by managers who understand how to lead through a kind and supportive approach. The team members seem happy and as though they are part of a work family. People feel comfortable expressing their opinions and working together to create a functioning and healthy work environment.

Cons

Hours can be long as client hours go until 8:30 PM, can be hard for working parents to comfortably maintain a long-term career in this company. In addition, health benefits don't cover dependents or spouse.

Advice to Management

Perhaps work out something for employees looking to not work late into the evening or offer benefits for spouse and dependents.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! Your feedback is noted and appreciated. thanks!

11. "Good experience!"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Intercare Therapy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisor (BCBA) was a great mentor.
    Trainings were sufficient.
    Great hands-on work with special needs children.

Cons

Must be extremely flexible due to frequent cancellations.
    A lot of driving, often with a tight schedule to get from one home to the next.
    Poor retention rate for employees, which made treatment teams unstable.
    Few opportunities to communicate face-to-face with supervisors.

Mar 8, 2017 – CEO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. As far as retention, this is our most important organizational initiative currently. We have identified a few things that we feel can ... More