Intercontinental Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Intercontinental Exchange Chairman and CEO Jeffrey C. Sprecher
Jeffrey C. Sprecher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance is good here (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits and decent starting salary (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better (in 20 reviews)

• The company strongly discourages work-from-home to the point of obnoxiousness (in 15 reviews)

1. "Solid, growing company"

I worked at Intercontinental Exchange full-time

Pros

Smart people in an interesting and evolving industry

Cons

Things can change quickly, which can be a positive

"Operations Support Analyst, Derivatives"

Former Employee - Operations Support Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Support Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable Company
    Annual Bonus
    Great Lower Level Managers

Cons

Sweatshop
    Salary not commensurate with Responsibilities
    No Lunch Hour
    Limited Career Growth
    Extremely Metric Focused

3. "ICE is the Appropriate Company Name"

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Direct Management cares about employees
    *Great and friendly co-workers who are willing to help

Cons

*Layoffs due to ICE take-over
    *Benefits aren't so great. Got expensive after ICE took over Interactive Data
    *Pay for what you do is not equal
    *You may have to work on major holidays depending on your position in the company.

Advice to Management

Upper and Executive Management, invest more into employees and their benefits. The company has to find an automated or alternative way to make sure employees don't work on holidays.

4. "Underpaid"

Current Employee - Senior Data Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Data Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good 401k. Relaxed work environment. Good people to work with.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to care about employees. Cutting costs seems to be the number one priority. Communication is poor. After acquisition: decrease of PTOs, increase of hours without raise

Advice to Management

Take care of your underpaid employees! Engage with employees more. communicate!

"Great place filled with history and speedy technology, but still entrenched bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is fairly good, and the benefits in addition to that make the overall compensation fairly good for an IT job. In spite of the business being very technologically driven today, you always get this feeling of the history of the building (it’s the New York Stock Exchange!).

We don’t necessarily use cutting-edge technology, but this is an environment where stability and reliability are paramount; that said, we do embrace new tools if they actually help us solve problems.

The coffee and snack options are excellent. And having the annual holiday party in the middle of the trading floor is truly cool, even for this cynic.

Cons

Teams tend to be in highly focused silos, which creates subject matter experts (in theory), but my experience with my own manager is that I am actively discouraged from helping other teams. My manager justifies this by not wanting to overextend his staff, which already had plenty of work to do, but it still always feels disheartening.

Partly because of this, it’s also very hard for newcomers to find the right people to talk to about a given issue with our technology platforms. My first year was spent trying to figure this out on my own, but 80% of the time I still had to bother my boss.

The company strongly discourages work-from-home to the point of obnoxiousness. The irony is that MANY people I worked with, right up through upper management, quietly worked from home anyway.

I’ve found that lateral moves within the company are very difficult, except during times of upheaval (reorganization) that seem to take place every 12-18 months. And moving in those circumstances is rarely under my control.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to stick with a vision of the modern work environment that includes sterile, mind-numbing open floor plans, you had better learn to embrace work-from-home in a more honest way. You’re scaring off some good workers with your obstinacy.

Get teams talking to each other more openly, and even help each other out. We’re supposed to be one company.

6. "So much broken stuff"

Current Employee - Any
    Current Employee - Any

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*They have a good cafeteria if you ever get a chance to take a lunch break.

*The people you work with know a lot about their fields of expertise, but for some reason don't realize their true worth/potential at other companies.

*Great stepping stone for furthering your career if you can manage at least a year, and leave on good graces.

Cons

*Lack of comradery: People will smile at you but stab you in the back. Don't expect to make any life/career long friends here, people are frightened of losing their jobs here for some reason. They will detail anything you say or do, for a later date, to deflect attention on themselves for wrong doings. (Some people will even lie about their names if you look too executive, and they don't know you)

*Pay seems like a great step up in your career path, until you realize just how much work there is, and how boring your personality is expected to be. Put your year in and move on to something greater.

*Traffic is horrible no matter where you are coming from. Even people living 10 min. away will have 30-40 min commutes depending on traffic patterns.

*If you park too close to the line, or do anything slightly wrong in the parking area, security will send a picture of you and your vehicle to HR and you will be issued a citation. From the time you step/drive onto the property, everything you do is watched from the gazillion cameras. Make friends with the security staff to mitigate the citations they issue you on the company's privately owned parking garage.

Advice to Management

Let people know what it's really like to work here before aggressively luring them from other companies. Weed out the up-tight people if you want to make this place less depressing.

"Downsizing came at a cost to employees left behind"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Hayward, CA

I worked at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The team of people that I worked with was the best part of my job. Many of the employees in the group that I worked in had 15 plus years of service and a wealth of knowledge of best practices. The company and had undergone many transitions with changes of ownership the last ownership being ICE. The changes and continual downsizing had begun to take its toll on staff. The benefits were good and better than average paid time off.

Cons

The department I was part of was acquired by ICE about one year before I left and had several changes in ownership prior to that. The theme in the company was do more with less people.

8. "New to ICE"

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Busy workload,
    Good 401K Match
    We got acquired by ICE recently so still need to see all the pros.

Cons

Decrease in benefits, decrease in PTO's, poor Insurance options, seeing a lot of layoff's after acqusition

Advice to Management

Please care for employees

"trading system would be great with some management training"

Current Employee - Trading Systems Programmer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Trading Systems Programmer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay, bonus, looks good on resume. Management (trading system) is good at spreading risk, and playing "not to lose"

Cons

Trading system can be a sausage factory. Difficult to suggest improvements, even with solutions to back it. Upper management is good at throwing money at it, closing the door and turning up the pressure. Has become very political, protective and a sweatshop for too many of the developers.

Advice to Management

ICE is a great place for a lot of the employees, it's just not consistent throughout other departments. Send your tech managers to regular training, and help them with people and business skills. You want to promote leaders. Ask your developers and staff if they work for a leader or a manager.

10. "Good Job Mostly"

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Intercontinental Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fullfilling work, good benefits (410k match, medical, dental, bonus structure), competent management. Interesting business that is always on the cutting edge. Coworkers are easy to work with and willing to help.

Cons

Low salary compared to industry.
    Horrid schedule if you are working in technology teams.
    Long time to move up, need to be part of the managers club to move up quickly, your hard work will not get you there.
    The work can be very stressful at times.
    Not enough PTO offers to new employees, leads to stress.

Advice to Management

Take care of hard working employees.
    Work to get a better scheduling in place.