Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Elliot Gerhsenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People First culture
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Flexible environment
    Servant leader CEO
    Worthwhile mission

Cons

I really cannot think of any cons. This is the best organization I've worked for.

2. "Poor work environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Work Life Balance is good if you don't take stress home

Cons

- compensation is not same across departments or in line with other nonprofits
    - HR is not accessible. "Chief People Officer" sits with door and blinds closed daily. Does not return phone calls
    - expectations for manager are unrealistic
    - no development opportunities to expand employee skills
    - Human Resources team loses paperwork and makes large errors
    - values say one thing but those values are not practiced.

Advice to Management

Respond to what your employees have been saying about your human resources staff.

3. "It has been great working there I have gotten a chance to learn more about the city of Houston and surrounding areas."

Current Employee - Relief Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relief Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because I'm a Muslim I can practice my religion freely without judgement or hardship. It really lives up to its name interfaith all Faith's.

Cons

It is a bit disorganized but it works out at the end of the day. I believe the trucks should be checked more and actually fixed.

Advice to Management

Please look at those that have more to offer with a degree.

4. "Facilities and Technology Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work to build strong long lasting friendships

Cons

Changes happens a lot and sometimes without notice

5. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Assist people in community, Flex work schedule

Cons

No bonuses or dependent life coverage

6. "Important Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The cause of bringing people of diverse faiths together for dialogue, collaboration and service is one that will continue to be important for our society and the safety of our future.

Cons

Woefully underpaid and poor training and direction for employees below the executive level.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, especially their training. Also, adopt a clear management strategy that isn't so top-down.

7. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful staff. A good work place for people who love helping others.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Working here for four years"

I have been working at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at several 501c3s and this is the first one where it is clear that the org takes care of its employees. It really feels like a family and this comes down from the top. The CEO works hard to make sure staff have great benefits and opportunities. I can walk into any managers office including the CEO and talk about anything I want! I do this often and they listen to my thoughts and concerns. It is nice to work somewhere and not have to look over your shoulder and constantly wonder whether you will be fired or if the org will go bankrupt. Past experience has made me not take job security for granted!

There is a true spirit in the workplace and I actually like spending time with coworkers in and outside of work. The talent of employees is amazing and there are people from all around the world who work at IM. Many top managers came to the US as refugees and the org is majority minority which means a lot to me personally. There are LGBT staff, staff who wear special religious clothing, people of every culture and color and there is no discrimination! Everyone from different cultures, religions and races together serving Houston is inspiring.

Cons

The CEO is retiring and I am worried that the cultures and values will change.

Advice to Management

Don't let IM change. Stay focused on employees, benefits, fairness and transparency. Have more meetings with staff during the transition so we do not feel nervous and worried. Make sure staff feel appreciated so you do not loos talent during the change in leadership.

"Executive team is out of touch."

Current Employee - Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston full-time

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Casual Work Enviroment
    Feeling of Community Service

Cons

Executive team is out of touch and focuses only on petty items and not items that actually matter. Review process is rigid and humiliating. The executive team of this organization is pompous, rude and out of touch.

One good example of strangeness of this organization is that a suggestion box was put up for anonymous employee comments. After some time it was announced that the executive team would no longer take anonymous suggestions and stated that everyone who has a grievance needs to address with the management head on. The problem with this is that the employees are scared to say what they really think for fear of retaliation and the upper management needs to realize this. They are stuck with their head in the clouds telling the employees not to be fearful but they are.

The review process used to work on a 1-5 scale. Suddenly, the review process was changed from 1 - 4 when HR was asked why the 5 was taken away it was stated that too many people were being scored to high. Instead of training managers on how to score part of the scale was removed in order to force the managers to score at a level the executive team felt was appropriate. That feels degrading and it makes it feel like IM does not want to recognize and reward hard work.

Someone put a anonymous suggestion in the suggestion box that IM should have PTO instead of separate sick and vacation. HR choose to respond to this suggestion to the staff. The staff was denied this request because "sick time is different than vacation time." This felt like a hollow answer. Under the current system yes sick time is different than vacation time. However, under PTO it is put all together as one which HR didn't seem to understand. I had no issues with the request being denied however it felt like the answer that was given to the staff had no real reasoning behind it. This happens a lot at IM.

One of the executive level positions in this organization was hired on only because he was friends with the CEO. Furthermore, this executive is now hiring his friends so the trend continues. This has led to situations in the organization that feel hopeless because the friends are not going to fire, discipline or hold each other accountable. It feels like you do not have a chance for movement within this organization unless you are friends with someone on on the executive team.

Advice to Management

Consider what the employees real think and feel, you are all very elitist and don't really understand the employees. There are some very talented people in the organization but you all are running them off by petty behavior, hiring your friends and just an overall pompous elitist attitude.

"Good people doing good work!"

Former Employee - Finance Department in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Department in Houston, TX

I worked at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong leadership. Casual work environment. Lot's of opportunity to develop by expanding duties and responsibilities. At a non-profit, there's always stuff to do and improve upon, so new creative and efficient solution s are needed and appreciated.

Cons

The company is largely funded through donations, so there's constant pressure to raise funds and charity donations. And many annual financial and program audits.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work