Interlake Mecalux Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Interlake Mecalux President José Luis Carrillo
José Luis Carrillo

Pros
Cons
  • Open-office environment is not ideal for everyone (in 8 reviews)

• Sales can only talk to customer service and inside sales, you are literally prohibited from talking to anyone else (in 7 reviews)

"Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a real team atmosphere at the South Bend and Niles sites. The work environment was above average and you felt like you were part of the success.

Cons

Multiple sites and executive management was not located at our site. At time they seemed disconnected from what was going on. Right up until the company was sold to a foreign company and operations were moved.

"Spainish Company runs like a Dictator"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like drama, this is the place for you.

Cons

Dry company. Only a place to collect a check. No one is valued. HUGE turnover.

Advice to Management

Not much they can do. They are run by Carrilio which is a Dictator and he looks at everyone as less as him

"Strange company, not recommended long term"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, make your own schedule, can make good money if you keep your mouth shut, good career advancement, easy work, used to be a respected leader so lots of legacy business.

Cons

So many cons, I will list them all and they are all true.
    Literally no communication, you cannot talk to anyone except your area manager and customer service. If you have an engineering or production question you have to wait days or even weeks.
    Terrible commission structure. If the project is not paid in full (to the last penny) you do not get any sales commission. Interlake would mess up almost every project so you would often lose out on commision for reasons out of your control.
    Your boss will steal projects from you. The area managers still sell and they cherry pick the best customers, and even bid against the people they manage.
    The product used to be good, but the production has gone way down hill. There was legit safety concerns with their product that they ignored.
    You are expected to lie to customers often, if the product is going to ship late you just tell them it is all good even though it causes massive headaches.
    Unrealistic sales goals, the company is run by people in Spain who have no understanding of the US economy or geography so they split states into 2 or 3 territories even though there is hardly any business available. Unless you live in a major metro area there is little need for pallet rack.
    Incompetent support staff, they are nice people but the engineers do have engineering degrees, customer service is so overworked they are not able to help, and manufacturing is clueless.

Advice to Management

No chance they would take any advice, in their eyes they are the smartest guys in the world.

"Another one bites the dust."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time

Pros

If you enjoyed high school this will be a great work environment for you.

Cons

Was very disappointed with my overall experience. I hoped to make this job into a career however it was not the place for me and I learned the hard way.. now I am at an inconvenience. There was a lot of finger pointing, gossip, and judging that had been done by my fellow employees on a daily basis from what I witnessed. Very "dog eat dog" competitive environment. Everyone is scared of getting fired. Certain employees had told white lies to me in order to keep things their way, which in my opinion is absolutely unacceptable. Small lies are still lies and I wish people would "man up and speak the truth and not blame their decisions or actions on others." There was not one person there whom felt like a trustworthy individual in my opinion which made it difficult to get through the day. In my opinion, my job duties were not described properly at all upon me accepting the position. Also no raises unless you basically beg, grobble, and manage to pull some strings.

Advice to Management

You should do more to keep your employees happy or people will leave one by one. Employees are human beings doing a job, employees are not robots programmed to fit into your ideal of how the employee should constitute him or her self. Also, open your eyes and smell the lies of those who disguise.. This is why "the good ones always leave, or get fired."

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great PTO and 401K Program. East commute from the city. Weekends and holidays off, if a holiday is on the weekend you get that Friday and Monday paid time off.

Cons

Expect you to stay late everyday or you get fired and it's a salary position. Late 5 minutes or more 3 times in a month you're automatically fired. If they do fire you and you weren't late they don't give you a reason. They call you an hour before you're supposed to start, tell you you're employment has been terminated then hang up. If you're performance is poor they also don't warn you so you can improve, they just fire you. It's a call center like environment with management to your left, all they do it stare at you, if you go to the bathroom more than 3 times they have a talk with you. Also, there is no room for growth because your boss is your room for growth, you can just move to different departments where the pay is the same. When the owner visits if he sees you slouching he fires you, even if you're on your unpaid lunch.

Advice to Management

If an employee's performance is slipping give them a written or verbal warning, don't just fire them, give them a chance to improve.

"Odd, but not bad place must have the right attitude"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Melrose Park, IL

Pros

It was a relatively easy commute, for the Chicago area. It was the first job I've ever had that provided an hour lunch every day. The receptionist was really nice, my primary manager was cool but overworked, the people who originally trained me seemed okay with life.

Cons

Brought on for Inside Sales became an "engineering" job. I received two weeks of training for the Inside Sales team. The day I joined my department, my team changed to a technical/engineering team. I had no engineering background, so I was immediately under qualified and out of my understanding. I rode the wave as long as I could before I just had to quit because I was so far out of my knowledge and skill level. Everyone always seemed harried and rushed. I worked with some nice people, real engineers, who were recent college grads and they either already felt they were getting used and underpaid for their skill sets, or were burned out and just clocking in. I guess I would feel a bit of trepidation if someone with no training or background in engineering was basically thrown in with the same job title I had when I'd gone to school to learn the skills required. There seemed to be an institutional malaise that was hard to pinpoint, I can't say I worked with anyone who gave off the feeling they remotely enjoyed doing their job for this company. Weird is the only way I can really say my experience was here. No one was a bad person, they just seemed collectively stuck in a rut. To my end, I probably should have worked harder to communicate my concerns about the position, but there never seemed to be a good spot to jump in and say something, or a receptiveness to hearing anything about it.

Advice to Management

I don't think I have enough understanding of organizational psychology to offer any advice to management. The work culture is just odd. There was a constant fear of getting fired, it seemed from most of the people around me, which didn't really bolster a good atmosphere and as a new worker, didn't give me a feeling of wanting to stick around long. It was a new industry to me as well, so maybe I was just a fish out of the water, but I guess my only general advice would be to lighten up, have some fun. Work doesn't have to be a gut-wrenching experience.

"account executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Larger company that does not feel overly corporate, not the best at what they do but they try hard.

Cons

No generational knowledge, little support, often left to your own devices and other Account Executives for information not sales oriented but seem to be driven by customer service functions.

Advice to Management

More product training, more shows and industry events pay good people better

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux (More than a year)

Pros

really none to mention the way it is this could be a part time job seeing that they mgt don,t check on you

Cons

Sales is run like the WILD WEST the AMM are not managers they are the Super Stars of the company they take all the good accounts and in some cases steal from their own people the Midwest and East regions are the worst for this practice and by the way these regions have the most turnover . Can,t wait to leave

Advice to Management

Rell the AMM not to steal or keep the accounts learn to manager HA HA

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a hard worker, there isn't any position out of your reach. You just won't get a fair salary or treated well.

Cons

Everyone is expendable, can be replaced. Low salaries. Extreme turn over.

"You know better"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Southeast Newberry, SC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Southeast Newberry, SC

Pros

Working from home, knowing what to avoid with future employers

Cons

Low pay
    Horrible management
    Delayed production
    No privacy in main office
    European business model forced in America
    Split territories
    Outdated equipment

Advice to Management

I know what you are thinking- working from home looks great, but working for Interlake is like being in the lowest level of hell. Managers push you to lie to customers when products are delayed. The software if literally from 89, and filled with bugs. Additionally, one month after I was hired, another sales rep was placed in the middle of my territory. It is just the worst. While visiting the main office, you might think you are in a South Pacific sweatshop or third world labor camp. With no privacy, the supervisors walk around leering at employees computer screens to ensure every second is spent working. After reading through the reviews, it's obvious that the positive reviews were written by the HR department. One of the ladies mentioned trying to improve the reviews while I was working there, but I thought she was kidding. You have been warned