Interlake Mecalux Reviews | Glassdoor

Interlake Mecalux President José Luis Carrillo
José Luis Carrillo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sales can only talk to customer service and inside sales, you are literally prohibited from talking to anyone else (in 7 reviews)

• room for growth, you can just move to different departments where the pay is the same (in 4 reviews)

"Revolving door"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to work on large projects with well known companies. I was allowed to oversee all aspects of the sales process from prospecting, to bidding, engineering, quoting, negotiating, and billing large purchase orders. Great resume builder and their training was excellent!

Cons

Awful company culture. In the 8 months I worked there I saw 12 people come and go. When someone was fired or quit you weren't allowed to talk about them. There was nepotism and areas continued to get smaller and smaller as they hired more reps than were needed, yet requirements and quotas remained the same. My biggest gripe was that we were asked to start direct selling, yet we were told to lie if asked about it by our distributors.

Advice to Management

Go direct or don't. Don't toe the line. If you treat your account executives with respect, they will stay. The work is challenging and exciting. I loved the job for what I was able to learn and do, but it was the company and local managers that drove me away. I refunded an over pay of about $2,500 to one of my distributors and was reprimanded for it. The words were "If they made the mistake, that's their fault and they pay the price". I won't work in that environment and judging by the employees that left so quickly... I'm not the only one.

"Sales Account Rep happy to leave as soon as possible."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stepping stone to better things!

Cons

The Culture, Benefits, Product, Company policies, Work Life, Upper Management and the place is a revolving door of new employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people not numbers. When you threatening your employees every week you are going to fire them the motivation to work suffers.

"A step backwards"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time

Pros

Work from home, that's about it

Cons

Pay, support services, technology, management, training.. thelist goes on. From your first visit, you can tell something is wrong. Errors in production are the norm, so management will force you to lie to the customer instead of correcting the issue. Also, my territory was cut within a month of starting. Another rep in the neighboring territory was able to cherry pick a few good accounts before I had the chance to finish training. If you interview, ask about turnover rate, and how long the current manager has been in his role.

Advice to Management

All management needs to be removed. A fresh start is the only chance this place has

4. "Good place to find your bearings"

Former Employee - Purchasing Specialist in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Purchasing Specialist in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my department and in my position, the job was what I wanted it to be. If I wanted to take on more responsibility and solve more problems, I could, and if I wanted to just go through the motions and complete the required tasks, I could have done that as well. In addition, the people are amazing. Even with the high employee turnover, there are always a handful of people that fun to talk to and great to work with. Some of the managers are great and foster strong relationships with the employees in their department.

Cons

Having to ask management in Spain for permission to do nearly anything was a huge pain and resulted in more than a few lost opportunities. In addition, the language barrier was more than a little frustrating at times. The lack of formal performance reviews makes it so that if you want a raise, you have to ask for it. There also aren't that many opportunities for advancement; most of the moves that happen within the company are lateral. There also isn't any company culture, unless you count complaining about management and trying to leave as culture.

Advice to Management

What's the point of offering advice to management? Everybody knows that management doesn't listen to anybody's criticism.

"Run Away"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were great and almost made the place tolerable.

Cons

I despised going to work everyday. The management in this company doesn't care about their people at all. The turnover rate there was horrible.

6. "Manpower Temp"

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux part-time

Pros

The people are decent people. The working hours are ok. The benefits would be decent if I was full time.

Cons

Takes too long to go from temp to full time. You must have 720 hours and I've been there for over a year. Frustrating.

Advice to Management

Take some leadership classes and learn how to be leaders instead of bosses. Safety shouldn't just be a talking point.

"Gave Me Health Problems"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not applicable to this company

Cons

I was a sales person, the treatment of my customers was so bad it gave me health problems, my blood pressure and heart rate has generally been Olympic caliber. After just a few months working here I was sent home from my doctor and told to come back on the weekend because my blood pressure was so high, I am under 30 years old by the way. They betray customers and their own sales people, I had to apologize to my customers because promised orders never showed up or came with the wrong parts. The company doesn't care. I am gone now and my health is back to normal, awful company, I make more money now and have less stress. Never ever under any circumstance accept a position here.

Advice to Management

Your morals make the difference between you and even a mediocre company irreconcilable.

"Spainish Company runs like a Dictator"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Interlake Mecalux (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like drama, this is the place for you.

Cons

Dry company. Only a place to collect a check. No one is valued. HUGE turnover.

Advice to Management

Not much they can do. They are run by Carrilio which is a Dictator and he looks at everyone as less as him

"Strange company, not recommended long term"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Interlake Mecalux full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, make your own schedule, can make good money if you keep your mouth shut, good career advancement, easy work, used to be a respected leader so lots of legacy business.

Cons

So many cons, I will list them all and they are all true.
    Literally no communication, you cannot talk to anyone except your area manager and customer service. If you have an engineering or production question you have to wait days or even weeks.
    Terrible commission structure. If the project is not paid in full (to the last penny) you do not get any sales commission. Interlake would mess up almost every project so you would often lose out on commision for reasons out of your control.
    Your boss will steal projects from you. The area managers still sell and they cherry pick the best customers, and even bid against the people they manage.
    The product used to be good, but the production has gone way down hill. There was legit safety concerns with their product that they ignored.
    You are expected to lie to customers often, if the product is going to ship late you just tell them it is all good even though it causes massive headaches.
    Unrealistic sales goals, the company is run by people in Spain who have no understanding of the US economy or geography so they split states into 2 or 3 territories even though there is hardly any business available. Unless you live in a major metro area there is little need for pallet rack.
    Incompetent support staff, they are nice people but the engineers do have engineering degrees, customer service is so overworked they are not able to help, and manufacturing is clueless.

Advice to Management

No chance they would take any advice, in their eyes they are the smartest guys in the world.

10. "No"

Pros

You get to work in a very flexible structure where yoy can easily change between departments if you show interest

Cons

They pay less than other companies and they just cut some benefits, which is one of the things they were proud about

Advice to Management

Value people more, pay them well and they won't leave