Intermountain Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 20, 2019

3.2
A. Marc Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Managers see to work with you and understand your need for a healthy work life balance" (in 48 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule and great benefits" (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, benefits not good at all considering it is Non profit organization" (in 35 reviews)

• "New CEO only cares about the bottom line" (in 23 reviews)

"Still great for me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, great mission (I like the chance to work on cutting edge things in healthcare that ultimately help people be healthier and lower the cost). Work life balance (was in a very competitive environment before, so this is all perspective)

Cons

There has been a lot of restructuring lately and getting used to new ways of working. I an in a non-clinical role, and hear complaints about pay, but feel the pay is very fair.

2. "I love Intermountain"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in American Fork, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intermountain is a wonderful place to work. They are constantly trying to improve. Their salaries are great and I loved all 37 years that I worked there

Cons

Sometimes things are too corporate but mostly it is great

Advice to Management

Don't lose that small town atmosphere we had at the beginning and get too big. The tiniest cog at the bottom will get lost if you do. I love Intermountain. Thanks

3. "Really enjoyed my time here"

Former Employee - Physical Therapy Aide
    Former Employee - Physical Therapy Aide

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Great manager and coworkers. Flexible schedule that helped me work while going to school. Loved interacting with healthcare professionals. As an undergraduate, it gave me a fantastic preview about potential career paths.

Cons

The work can be repetitive, though that is more a function of the job that really cannot be avoided.

4. "Excellent Employer"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

Excellent benefits:
    - Pension
    - Matching 401k contributions
    - Matching HSA contributions
    - Affordable insurance
    - Fair compensation

Cons

Still optimizing the electronic charting system.

"Rough seas"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for IHC for a long time. They helped put me through school. I have a lot of respect for my coworkers and I get to make a difference in the lives of my patients.

Cons

Things are rough lately. Patient care is overshadowed by outrageous yearly "goals" and a new computer system that makes my days tedious. I spend less and less time having face to face interaction with my patients. I enter the room, immediately turn on the computer, and spend the next 15 minutes reminding myself to make eye contact with the patient because the computer is freezing or requiring me to check more boxes.

Also, the pay is a joke, especially for female-dominated fields aka nurses, receptionists, etc.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about your employees and human connections, and listen to the little guys. There is a massive amount of discord in your organization and I'm worried.

"Review"

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pension plan , 401k match, PTO

Cons

Culture has been destroyed with numerous reorganizations
    no growth path

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Charge Nurse in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Charge Nurse in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intermountain has a lot of great facilities to begin a career, many fantastic benefits including health, 401k, PTO, and a wellness program called LiVeWell along with several other things that make this a great place to work. Staff and management are friendly and approachable. It is a very good work environment in comparison to many hospitals.

Cons

Wages are on the lower end of the spectrum, as is healthcare in general in the state of Utah. There are opportunities to advance your career, but it only goes so far as the upper level positions seem to be taken by people who “know people” rather than workers who are adequately qualified.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up the friendly and welcoming atmosphere, seriously consider giving more back towards your employees in order to retain more of them, and give more opportunity for employees you do have to truly advance their careers.

8. "Good Employer"

Former Employee - Grants Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Grants Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with employee schedules and changes. Supports employee completing higher education .

Cons

Large company with lots of management layers for approvals at times can be slow.

Advice to Management

None

"Women Need Not Apply..."

Current Employee - Planning in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Planning in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great company where you used to be able to plan a career and make a difference in peoples lives.

Cons

The glass ceiling at Intermountain is actually a concrete ceiling. In a glass ceiling, a woman would be able to see how to move to upper management, but be unable to do so. As the following will demonstrate, the promotional doors to upper leadership are not offered to women. Intermountain has very few female leaders in its top levels (VP, SVP, and C Suite.) The few female leaders who are at that level have been leaving the organization (Previous Chief Operating Officer, the departing Chief Nursing Officer...)

The information in this review draws from senior leaders public teleconferences and general announcements to employees, so nothing here has been labelled confidential. I removed peoples names and just use their titles because this isn't directed at an individual, but the overall machismo culture that has taken over at Intermountain Healthcare executive levels.

The organization stated publicy where it builds its new executive leaders from, the Enterprise Initiatives Office, which is under the Chief Strategy Officer (male) and Chief Operating Officer (male). In a recent public teleconference for the Scottsdale Institute, he explained explained that this office is the incubator for future Intermountain executive team members. It's the door through the glass ceiling, so if you get in, you get access to the highest paying opportunities. (highly recommend listening to this just do a web search for it)

How does one apply to be a part of this incubator? One doesn't. The leadership 'appointments' of this group are apparently only given to men. This is demonstrated to employees over numerous emails. Take for example the statements to employees regarding the series of high level promotion opportunities for which there is no opportunity for women to apply:

In an August 8 email, the CEO stated simply described the process as this man "will become" the Chief Strategy Officer and Vice President. No invitation to apply, no announcement of opportunity, no attempt to find qualified candidates. No opportunity for the majority female candidates in the company to apply. In a September 24 email, the Chief Strategy Officer who was suddenly now promoted to Senior Vice President instead of just being the vice president he was the month before (it pays to be on the insid), announced more lucrative leadership opportunities were being given to additional men.
    "[a male] has been appointed Vice President of the Enterprise Initiative Office..."
    "[another male] has been appointed Vice President of the Market Intelligence and Planning Office..."

(As pointed out in the teleconference, which you really should listen to for yourself, the only woman to 'advance' out of the incubator was a woman who was promoted "out of the company". The Chief Strategy Officers email to employees about it he said he "was sad to see her leave Intermountain". We were too. Intermountain needed female leaders. )

Compare this appointing process in contrast to the process many female leaders go through:
    A September 12 announcement for an Executive Nurse Director states she went through a "selection". Or when the announcement regarding the departure of the chief nursing officer (one of the few remaining female executives), in a position which is typically female the CEO stated the process for getting this position will involve "A national search is underway to fill [the] role" It is frustrating to see the incubator for executive opportunities so closed here, wouldnt it be nice if women could be just appointed to positions like the men in the executive incubator.

Unfortunately it continues. A few months ago my area was moved under a Decision Support analytics team. The new leadership opportunity for the combined groups was never announced to the women and we were never given the opportunity to apply despite several on the team having much more experience than the man to whom we were told to report. All the leadership positions in this team are filled by men already, so there is no opportunity for women to advance. Women who left that team earlier said that the men on the team were similary promoted into their roles with no real opportunity for women to apply. One woman who spoke up about the situation are no longer with the company. Now the leader of this combined group has been telling the male leaders that he will be the new Vice President of Analytics. We dont have one of those. So it appears that yet another executive position has been minted and promised to a male with no opportunity for more experienced females to apply or be given access to the developmental leadership opportunities given to less experienced men.

That's why I titled this women need not apply. It sure looks like there is a door through the glass ceiling into executive leadership at Intermountain, because they are constantly announcing men who have been appointed through it. But the lock onthe door apparently requires an XY chromosome pair. XX doesn't even get you an opportunity to apply.

Before this post gets buried by suspiciously brief rosy posts to bury it, I invite Intermountain's communication team to let us know how many many females applied for each of the leadership promotional opportunities mentioned here. I could very well be wrong. I hope we followed our policies and there were lots of women candidates and that somehow I am just missing every announcement about all the executive promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

Why don't you have any men who have been appointed to executive positions that weren't open to everyone, reapply for their jobs, just like you have had so many women do this year for their lower level jobs?
    Give women an opportunity for executive positions. We will surprise you.
    You are better than this.

Intermountain Healthcare Response

Nov 29, 2018 – Marketing & Communcations

Dear Intermountain Employee,

As a colleague and a woman, I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts on a topic that is very important to me and the rest of our leadership team, especially our... More

"Imaging Technologist"

Current Employee - Imaging Technologist in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Imaging Technologist in Murray, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

There are still some employees who truly care about the patients. I’m happy with the Radiologists.

Cons

The Imaging Department at Intermountain Medical Center is a disaster and getting worse. You do not want to work at this Hospital. Management and several employees have adopted a dictatorship type style. Do we come to work at the hospital or are we on the set of Survivor? There is some preaching about good communication but those preaching are the worst communicators of anyone. It’s very difficult to work when you are not treated well and talked at (yes, at) in a rude and condescending manner. Multiple bosses, managers and coordinators. Many techs who think they have a position but do not have the title. No leadership in the group. This company appears to back it’s management no matter how poor they are.

Advice to Management

Until upper management figures out how to hold middle-management accountable, I don’t see anything improving. When your biggest worry is how much your bonus will be and how big your raise is, when you get to go on your next vacation, you have a solid position in this group. Seems to be they can do and say anything they want and treat people however poorly they want to and get away with it.