Intermountain Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
A. Marc Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Managers see to work with you and understand your need for a healthy work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits and paid time off (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay masked as having great benefits (in 31 reviews)

• Non-profit status hides a lot of sins (in 15 reviews)

"Great place to work and employee friendly in the past, but that culture is changing rapidly."

Current Employee - Client Systems Software Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits: 401k, pension, medical/dental, legal, tuition reimbursement. Increased PTO accruals after 5 years & 10 years (1 extra week for each of these mile stones).

Cons

Medical insurance benefit cost to employee is very high. We've been told this is because we're in a pool with medical people that sometimes overuse medical services so our costs are higher. As a result, most employees with two income households have medical insurance coverage through their partners employer instead.

Advice to Management

For years Intermountain Healthcare harnessed a culture that was very pro-employee and made it a place that people wanted to work at and stay long term. It was not uncommon for employees to work for over 30 years in the company. Lately, and especially with the hire of the new CEO that culture is completely dead and a thing of the past. Each employee is viewed now as a budget item, not a commodity for the company. Replacing highly experienced and high paying employees with entry level personnel seems to be the new norm. All to save a buck for a company that makes billions per year.

"In the midst of change..."

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

Intermountain Healthcare has always been an employer that valued it's frontline. It was a company known for it's good will such as their non-profit title suggests. It has been a good place to work during the bad and good times in healthcare.

Cons

The culture is changing and it seems to be changing from the roots up. I hope in time this will be a good thing, but it is not the Intermountain that many of us hired on to or have been loyal to. It is taking on a more national company feel instead of the Christian Utah feel in which we are used to.

3. "Administrative ASsistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative, Loyal, Trustworthy, good field to work in because of Intermountain staying on top of changes in healthcare very stable job.

Cons

Changing healthcare environment causes some anxiety among employees as to future.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and front line employees

4. "Great culture, but undergoing restructuring"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great supportive culture, ability to contribute to the mission.

Cons

Currently restructuring, outsourcing is in the wind -- especially for non-clinical positions. Recruiting and hiring process is very bureaucratic and slow

5. "Medical Technologist"

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good 401 k match and pension

Cons

Job advancement limited. Friends of senior management get promoted

Advice to Management

More mentoring

6. "Good place to work but managers out of touch"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great mission and values,

Cons

Higher management and administration are removed from clinical realities and not interested in listening to clinicians
    Tools to achieve goals not always avaiy

Advice to Management

Support clinician’s (rather than manager’s) ideas and research

7. "Review"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

Reputation and high caliber employees

Cons

Large organization - bureaucratic, slow moving

8. "ICU RN"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

This ICU offers nearly every kind of pt. Open hearts, Neuro, Trauma, Medical, Surgical, Peds, and anything else. The team I work with is great! Treating like a paid internship.

Cons

Pay is low and admins are out of touch with RNs. Play the feel good which the community loves but, veteran RN's are over it.

Advice to Management

Come play with your RNs.

"Intermountain Healthcare is great. Laboratory department management needs to change."

Former Employee - Pathology Technician in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Pathology Technician in Murray, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Medical & Dental Insurance, HSA Match, Pension, 401k match, Life Insurance, Legal plan, Shift differentials, Tuition Reimbursement, Pay, Location

Cons

Department decisions are not based on fairness or ethics, seniority/long term employment is not valued, employee's ideas and opinions are not valued, some employees are not held accountable for lack of productivity or poor quality work while other employees are not recognized for high productivity and high quality work. Male, white, LDS, pre-med students are favored, meaning they can quickly be promoted, receive pay increases without meeting the requirements in the job description, work whatever shifts they want and can do no wrong.

Advice to Management

Things are not always as they appear and what you’re told is not always true. There is a discrepancy between your personal values and Intermountain Healthcare values. Actions speak louder than words. At some point being two-faced and making unethical decisions will catch up with you.

Intermountain Healthcare Response

Nov 2, 2017 – Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback. We are making a point to see where our employees think we can improve and your feedback is important for this goal. I hope moving... More

"Is it still stable?"

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You know what you are getting with IHC. They are stable (as of this moment). They have a great culture. Their pay is slightly lower than market value. Great benefits including a pension when you become vested after 5 years.

Cons

New leadership at the top appears to be shaking things up for the sake of shaking things up. Much of the talent is worried about outsourcing which is making the culture more volatile.

Advice to Management

Yearly bonus should be based on your employee evaluation, what is my motivation to continue working extremely hard to get "extraordinary contributor" on my evaluation only to have my coworker who gets "meets expectations" have the same yearly pay increase.
    Get rid of the rule not allowing transfers to new departments the chance for a pay increase when they are in the same pay-grade. An external employee can come in and negotiate their pay grade but an internal candidate doesn't get a choice?