Intermountain Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Intermountain Healthcare Reviews

Updated January 2, 2018

A. Marc Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Managers see to work with you and understand your need for a healthy work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits and paid time off (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay compared to industry Standards (in 40 reviews)

• Non-profit status hides a lot of sins (in 15 reviews)

1. "Good employer but caretakers are no longer the priority."

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok. Middle management tries to make sure caretakers are supported. Love the ability to earn quarterly incentives.

Cons

One intermountain, not sure where or if outsourcing will come to our dept because do not feel the uppers of the company are in li me with their caretakers. Wages very low competitively.

Advice to Management

Make caretakers the priority again. Outsourcing takes away Utah Jobs!

"Restructuring, leaving non clinical employees anxious and in the dust"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, used to feel like a safe, stable place to work. However amid transition there is only fear, anxiety, and rumors about who will and who won't make it through the transition.

Cons

Amid the "restructuring" (aka process of determining who to fire), leadership at the top talks about how much they want to communicate. However, the actual communication to everyday employees is zero. Non clinical people especially are on the chopping block. The new CEO said in a live broadcast that there were no plans to layoff any CLINICAL people. However, those of us who are non clinical are basically left to just wonder if we should sell our homes in preparation for impending doom. It is a horrible atmosphere right now. All anyone talks about is why they think their jobs are important, and why that doesn't matter.
    I was hired into my position 3 months ago. I can't believe any organization would hire an employee just to fire them 3 months later. Severance is based on years of service, so I am basically being thrown under the bus. Intermountain talks about its culture and values, but DOES NOT LIVE THEM.

Advice to Management

Stop messing with people's lives. Actually communicate so we can plan for our own families.

"Not the company I once worked for..."

Current Employee - Medical Biller
    Current Employee - Medical Biller

Pros

Benefits
    Great Team Environment
    Supervisor and Managers are great

Cons

CEO
    Top Heavy
    No longer care about their employees
    Outsourcing jobs/layoffs/forcing in to retirement

Advice to Management

lower management is great, that are in the same boat as the little guys, it is the new CEO and his advisers that need to take a better look at how they are treating the employees. Intermountain is really not doing what they can to keep the best employees and make patient care a priority--although they say they are.

"New CEO is bad news"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people except the CEO.
    Front line staff really cares about their patients.

Cons

Marc Harrison CEO is a Narcissist. He has created a very toxic environment.

Need more PTO.

Advice to Management

Dump the CEO before he destroys one of the best healthcare systems . He is only out for himself!

"New CEO ruining a once great culture"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers
    Pension
    Mission & Values
    Culture (previous to new CEO at least)

Cons

CEO - ruining the culture of a company that has been recognized as a national leader in healthcare
    New EMR - greatly reduced efficiency of our caregivers

Advice to Management

Serving the community also means treating your employees, who are all a part of the community, fairly and with respect. Dr. Sorenson understood this and the new CEO clearly does not. Outsourcing and layoffs just for change sake is not in anyone's best interest. If IHC is truly in trouble financially and needed to treat it's employees like this, then be transparent about it instead of all the vague leadership double talk. "We need to disrupt ourselves," and "This is a challenging healthcare environment," are not good enough explanations for treating your employees this way.

6. "Security Officer"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

It's not a bad gig. It's not to terribly complicated.

Cons

The Pay is a bit on the low side if you're trying to support a family. If you're single and only supporting yourself, it's not bad.

Advice to Management

Pay more and offer better bonuses.

7. "Medical Informaticist review"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great clinical staff, lots of people who care about patients, and who are thoughtful about how care can be improved.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, leadership that feels disconnected from the work on the ground. Sometimes slogans and initiatives feel like lip service that aren't backed up by actions.

8. "Good Company"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

They motivate you to help others

Cons

Shifts are not consistent, and its a hospital.... politics

"Was Great Once"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

This was once a great company to work for. Great people, a stable company, and a chance to work with the latest technology. Good opportunities to learn and to advance in your career. There are also good opportunities for promotions as most management positions are filled from within.

Cons

The new CEO is pushing hard to outsource as much as possible. There have already been many layoffs with more on the way. The outsourcing workers do a mediocre job but management doesn't seem to care as long as they are cheap.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO.

10. "Human Resources"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission Vision Values, community benefit, change leader

Cons

lack of opportunity for promotion, appointments rather than following a formal hiring process open to all, lack of transparency, new leaders ignorant to what made Intermountain a great place to work-- the people and culture.