Intermountain Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 9, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
A. Marc Harrison

Pros
  • Managers see to work with you and understand your need for a healthy work life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Great people to work with, great benefits, Excellent work (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low pay, few opportunities for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• It is a non profit so salaried pay can be lower than expected (in 14 reviews)

1. "Information Systems Intern"

Pros

Good Experience to gain knowledge and learn.

Cons

Don't convert the role into full-time.

"Laid Off Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Intermountain for a good number of years. I was recently included in the IT layoffs, where 50+ people, mostly software engineers, lost their jobs. Those jobs are being outsourced to India.

The numerous years that I worked there were wonderful. There were fantastic software projects that truly were making a difference in both lowering the cost of healthcare, and improving healthcare results.

They layoffs were due to budget reasons, since Intermountain is installing a new health information system (costing hundreds of millions of dollars - probably much more than they anticipated), and the Affordable Care Act, where the Federal Government is reimbursing a fraction of what they should, causing Select Health/Intermountain to pick up the "tab", passing the costs on to consumers, and hurting budgets.

Also, there is the idea from some in the upper management that Intermountain "is not in the business of software development". This sends a powerful message to those IT professionals who still work there (there are a few hundred, if not more) that their days are possibly numbered. Intermounatain has typically had a very low turnover rate in IT - one reason was because of "stability" - you felt that you would always be employed. Now, that is gone, thus destroying one of the best reasons for staying at Intermountain.

Even though I understand the financial/business reasons for the layoff, I must be skeptical that the offshoring of knowledge to India will work out all right - most likely it will be a disaster. (I hope it works out - there are valuable health care applications that are truly innovative and beneficial. But I sincerely doubt it will work out well.) Also, it happened all at once, whereas, if possible, a gradual reduction in force would have been obviously much more preferable.

However, those being laid off have been treated well: we have been given plenty of time to find a new position with decent severance packages and there were internal positions that were open that were offered to those being laid off (some accepted them) - so there's that: we have been treated well, and I am grateful for the management of Intermountain for this.

Cons

In IT, there were multiple layers of bureaucracy leading to inefficiencies. Sometimes there were turf wars with multiple teams wanting to control things, and not enough working together for the best solutions. This happens at any large IT shop however.

A management that is split on the importance of software development and IT for healthcare - some think it is a "necessary evil" (where all IT should be minimized as much as possible) whereas some think IT can play an important part in the managing of healthcare for improving results and cutting costs. It will be interesting to watch where IT and software innovation ends up at Intermountain. Regardless, any IT employee at Intermounatin currently (especially those creating innovative, new products) should be on "pins and needles" now, with one eye on his/her job, and another eye on the current job market.

Also, the Federal Government continues to apply its heavy-handed and unnecessary influence on health care, in the form of new FDA regulations affecting software development, etc. Also, as the govt. reduces healthcare reimbursements (ACA, Medicare, etc.), it will affect Intermountain (and additional costs will be passed on to consumers, thus raising the costs of healthcare, NOT lowering it), and most likely IT projects will continue to get slashed. This is something to be aware of if you are a healthcare IT employee.

Advice to Management

Seriously, learn what the rest of the sofware industry learned 10 to 15 years ago - that offshoring existing software development knowledge to India rarely works, and even if it does, it ends up being much more inefficient (and therefore expensive) than anticipated.

If more layoffs are necessary, continue to protect Intermountain's good reputation by taking care of employees with good severance packages, etc. But please, try to do it more gradually over time, if at all possible, so projects can be migrated properly with success.

Where possible, get crystal clear on where IT and software development fits in with Intermountain's mission, and stick with it. A "vision" for IT is needed, whereas the current sentiments seem to be that IT at Intermountain is now a "necessary evil" and will be reduced as much as possible. If that is indeed the case, be honest and open with the company, community, and employees as much as is possible.

3. "Really Like it"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in West Valley City, UT
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It is an awesome place to work. You have a lot of opportunities to grow.

Cons

as a contract we don't get any benefits

5. "Overall very good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-They really try to review input from employees to improve over the next year
    -They have a good program available to help get employees motivated to be healthy

Cons

It was difficult within the department I was in to really grow much. Not really their fault just work that had to be done by someone.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Soon to be laid off"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This was the best company I ever worked for until they laid off our entire department - 52 people. I wanted to retire with this company. It didn't matter what you performance rating was, how long you worked there or if your job was needed - they laid off everyone in the department. They had a great work environment, great benefits, great mission. I loved working there.

Cons

Due to the lay off, everyone in IT is feeling vulnerable. The entire department that was laid off was outsourced to a contracting firm and the support will go to India. This used to be a local company with local ties - not anymore.

Advice to Management

Don't just cut of your arm - do it surgically. You lost a lot of great people with outstanding performance ratings. I was one of those people. What good does it do to have performance ratings if you are just going to lay off the good people and keep lousy ones in other departments. If you need to cut - do if surgically and with some common sense so you are still supporting the business.

7. "Practice Supervisor"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, awesome co-workers who are in it for the patients. Excellent Benefits are a huge pro for working at Intermountain Healthcare.

Cons

Lower pay than outside healthcare organizations.

8. "Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great organization with opportunity for movement and growth.

Cons

Politics that are typical in any large organization.

9. "Psych Tech"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

Good entry level job for those seeking to learn more about Clinical Psychology

Cons

Competitive, working for a large company.

10. "Good benefits"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

Good benefits program--matching 401k, pension etc

Cons

Long working hours per shift

11. "IT Analytics Intern"

Former Intern - Studnet in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Studnet in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Latest technology used in the projects

Cons

No full-time offer for interns

Advice to Management

Nothing