Intermountain Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
A. Marc Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Managers see to work with you and understand your need for a healthy work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits and paid time off (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay masked as having great benefits (in 29 reviews)

• Non-profit status hides a lot of sins (in 15 reviews)

1. "I've worked for several healthcare corporations and this is the best by far"

Current Employee - Clinical Area Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Clinical Area Manager in Ogden, UT

Pros

The community atmosphere at IHC is very strong. You can rely on your co-workers to help you and the hospitals have a family unit type of feel because everyone it seems genuinely cares about everyone else. I would trust my family's care only to IHC. They go through extensive work to make decisions via solid data and evidence. The resources for decision based care are incredible.

Cons

There's no sitting back as an employee, you are required to constantly strive to give more. Sometimes that can be exhausting for the amount of pay we receive. They also tend to hire idiot consulting firms like Stockamp Huron. We have to put our hospital back together after they leave. No one seems to understand the frustration.

Advice to Management

Keep going despite what is happening in the country with healthcare. We rely on you. We are trying to keep it together also. We are also afraid of unions. We share your fears.

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Pay could be better in my opinion

Advice to Management

Pay more

"Mission and Values driven, authentic, well intentioned, not perfect, better than peer employer."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

Pros

Try very hard to get feedback from employees. Live their mission. Non-profit, supports community with huge amounts of charity care. Very successful, they win in the marketplace. Smart and competent colleagues. Try very hard to balance, cost control, employee engagement, healing, and community stewardship. Strong, healthy, intentional culture.

Cons

Some employees have sense of entitlement and are out of touch with competitive nature of business. Maybe too insulated. "Nice" culture can interfere with tough conversations and difficult decisions. Pay must be regionally aligned as size of organization really is the immediate market, forcing smaller players to pay higher, gives perception of lower wages.

Advice to Management

Differentiate more on performance, less on tenure.

4. "AWESOME!"

Current Employee - Pca in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Pca in Murray, UT

Pros

excellent facilities, experienced healthcare personnel, leading healthcare corporation

Cons

pay rate is mediocre compared to other states.

Advice to Management

LOVE IT.

5. "The absolute best of the best!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

"If there is an ideal out there…it can be seen in the kind of medicine already being practiced by Kaiser Permanente, the Mayo Clinic, Intermountain Healthcare, and Geisinger Health System, which manage to hold down costs and get better results. Their operations have fostered closer teamwork among care providers." - Time Magazine

Cons

I wish they would allow non-clinical staff more opportunities to work remotely. Other than that I can honestly say there are no other "cons". I have worked in Healthcare for 25+ years and this organization is by far second to none.

Advice to Management

Offer more company provided "on-the-job" training, education and certification opportunities to engage and retain current staff (especially non-clinical). By investing in this additional training opportunity you continue to reap the rewards of loyalty, longevity and extraordinary return of investment with team members sharing the same vision.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits, supportive work atmosphere, forward-thinking company

Cons

Non-profit so pay scale is somewhat limited

7. "Physical therapy Aide"

Former Employee - Physical Therapy Aide in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Physical Therapy Aide in Provo, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits such as PTO about 4.6 if full time per paycheck. They cover up to 70% of tuition if you are working at least 48 hours per paycheck. They have a lot of clinics all over Utah and if you are an employee you can transfer to a different site if there is an opening.

Cons

When you work in the Hospital and not one of the clinics they need staff there on all Holidays, such as Christmas Thanksgiving, so working on holidays.

8. "Intermountain has great values and great benefits"

Current Employee - Communications Consultant in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Communications Consultant in South Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company values are amazing- focused on patient care, improving outcomes and the patient experience. Most everyone is in the industry and the company because they care about making a difference in the lives of others. People are generally respectful and helpful. The atmosphere is a great one to work in. Values such as continual learning, respect and accountability are important and seen.

Cons

Since Intermountain is a non-profit company, everyone is continually asked to do more, with less. This can be demanding and tiring and is not for the faint of heart!

9. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great environment to work in for most professionals. The average worker is allowed to work in their environment, and make suggestion on how to improve the overall environment

Cons

Not quite up to standards for pay. Other than this, there is little negative to say about the facilities in the Salt Lake Valley.

10. "What a great place to work..."

Current Employee - Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aside from the respectful work and great financial incentives, working Intermountain is one of those companies where you come home feeling you've made an impact on the community.

Cons

The only gripe I might possibly have is the the fact that I have to commute through horrible freeway construction and traffic.