Intermountain Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Intermountain Healthcare Reviews

Updated December 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Managers see to work with you and understand your need for a healthy work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits and paid time off (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay masked as having great benefits (in 42 reviews)

• Non-profit status hides a lot of sins (in 15 reviews)

1. "Sourcing Specialist/Contract Analyst"

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company to work for.

Cons

Middle management sometimes gets overwhelmed with details.

2. "intermountain healthcare review from an employee"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time

Pros

great patient care all around

Cons

make employees feel less than appreciated

3. "Patient Service Represenative"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People committed to a great cause.

Cons

Bottom of the payscale for the industry

"Not the Same Intermountain"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to learn skills and good coworkers.

Cons

Low pay compared to market value. Used to be a very safe environment with great culture, but a lot has changed since new CEO started. C-Level and Board members don't seem to care much about employees, or their jobs. All of Intermountain is going through assessments to cut employees. Morale is tanking in office and clinical settings and it just isn't the same company many of us have grown to love over the years.

Advice to Management

Your employees are loyal and felt like the company was loyal to them for the past 30+ years. In the end, it just seems like you care more about the bottom line than employees that love and lived the values and mission statement.

5. "IT Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director IT in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Director IT in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great family life balance. Great benefits for employees. Growth opportunity for staff to grow into many areas of the business

Cons

No cons to add. No cons to add. No cons to add. No cons to add. No cons to add. No cons to add. No cons to add.

"Enhanced Registrar"

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time

Pros

Great immediate supervisor, great co-workers.

Cons

disconnect between the department and the rest of the hospital. Difficult to be able to move up in the company. Lots of chances for horizontal movement, but nothing really vertical, even with a bachelors degree.

"Going down hill fast"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, News systems to keep patients safe, Great Dental, Vision, 401k, HSA, Life Insurance, Great employees, Discounted phone plans, etc.

Cons

Quick turnover of employees, administration has unreal expectations for staff, and the new CEO has lost touch with employees, low pay, unrealistic patient loads.

Advice to Management

Management, coming from someone who works clinical, get some boots on the ground and in the clinic to see what we do everyday. Implementing rules based on people who sit behind desk all day is incredibly degrading and frustrating. Patient loads are incredibly to high and dangerous per doctor, nurse, and medical assistant. Mark Harrison is out of touch with his employees and it’s starting to show. You have veteran employees who have worked for IHC for 15+ years fleeing from this company like the plague. You cannot keep new employees to stay, turn over is ridiculous, and pay is incredibly low. Pay increases as you move more north, so sorry (Southern Utah) employees you are just going to have to take the pay cut. You have to understand yes we are here to help people and that’s what we love to do. But moral around this company has dropped drastically, people used to love what they do and didn’t think of it as work. You have made working for this company draining with no hope of working long term. The more you commercialize this hospital and take away from the employees and patients the worse it’s going to get. I hope we can see some light at the end though of the tunnel in the coming years , hopefully all of this shaking up from the “Big Wigs” is worth it.

"The worst EMR system"

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health, dental, and retirement benefits. There is usually a Christmas bonus although that is not guaranteed.

Cons

EMR system is a mess. Constantly going down. Unreliable. Difficult to use efficiently. It's been over 2 years and it's getting worse rather than better. After 2 years, employees and physicians still do not know how to use the system. I am now afraid for patient safety.

Advice to Management

Fix the EMR system.

"Backstabbing culture, low job security"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Intermountain Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great atmosphere of team collaboration in certain specialties, professional practitioners who care for their patients. Good place to learn technical skills with knowledgeable professionals

Cons

Modest wage, uncertain security. While many get lured into the company by benefits, it is also important to note you may lose your job in the drop of a heartbeat. Certain supervisors are are micromanagers and incompetent. These managers do not stand up for you, relies on you to do their job and abuse your mental health. These are also the ones who have developed a great persona throughout the organization but backstabs their subordinates

Advice to Management

Managing style is distinct in each clinic of the salt lake region. Some are fairly upbeat and positive which creates a passionate and driven environment. Others abuse their authority and corporate rules as much as they’d like.

HR is passive and in many cases cluelessly helped these managers implement their abuse.

Adding a video of "taking care of your mental health" in MyLearning is not taking care of our health. Do the dirty work and get to the base of it. We don't need cliche, we are not idiots. However, having a boss who doesn’t play dirty and a positive work environment could make a big difference and make us happy to come to work everyday.

Please give your employees more information on corporate rules on how to protect themselves in such situations. Tell us what to expect and if our opinions are taken seriously.

My best advice is to go through corporate team leaders who manage the bottom and see how some departments are suffering in silence. Look at the turnover rates. Send out employee surveys discretely and investigate! Many times we can’t fight back through muddy waters. These abusive leaders always have one million excuses on their side and the HR team to back up their actions. Firing an employee and having a quitting employee are both of the same weight.

People may be money driven and controlled by their survival anxiety but not for long because we are humans and want our dignity back. Hope Intermountain can bring back positive, responsible and honest leadership.

10. "Hard to advance in your trade"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Intermountain Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, meet good colleagues. Great pay, at least in pharmacy. Good stable job outlook

Cons

Start with the company as a prn or part time, takes millions of interviews to even be considered for advancement, constantly being rejected because not enough experience even though you have worked for other companies for years. Even if interviewed with in the same department with the same colleagues who appreciate your work ethic and skill but according to intermountain standard of not being with the company long enough will not be advanced so your stuck until further notice.

Advice to Management

I find it really unfair to be hired on as prn to be passed up for people with more experience, especially when the department has gone through a lot of change over, but they still expect you to come in to prn for them.