International Education Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 5, 2018

3.7
Fardad Fateri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work environment and experience when dealing with the public" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people, good health benefits, lots of fun and company events" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "For managers specifically, it is not easy to achieve work-life balance, if" (in 3 reviews)

• "They had instructors that were really good and when they applied to open positions they re given to outside candidates instead No room for growth" (in 4 reviews)

1. "UEI College-Encino is the place to be!"

I have been working at International Education Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for UEI College for 2.5 years. Throughout this time I have not only gained valuable experience but have learned the true meaning of leadership. As an instructor, I strive to help students reach their goals and reach success. This brings me great satisfaction and I have this company to thank for the opportunity. UEI College-Encino has become my second family. We work as a team and help each other reach our goals. I cannot thank our Campus President and Director of Education enough for their continuous support, guidance, and motivation to always continue to grow and learn. UEI- Encino is the place to be!!

Cons

Not at this time.

2. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at International Education Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

There are no cons at this time

Advice to Management

I have worked for International Education Corporation at the UEI College-Chula Vista campus for over 10 years. I have overall had a great experience with working with all colleagues from my peers, to upper management, which to include the corporate office.

Upper management focuses on the growth of their employees, and invest their time in teaching staff to grow in their leadership skills. I, amongst several other staff members attend a weekly leadership workshop with our Campus President, Joe Bartolome on a weekly basis. In addition, advancing to the next level in your education is encouraged. I currently have a BA in Business Management and, currently attending classes to get my Masters for my MBA.

I am proud to be a part of such of an amazing team and, I have referred several employees as well.

Students come to IEC-UEI College to change their lives. With the assistance of the caring instructors, most leave feeling good about themselves because they have reached a level that they never imagined they could attain. This is a big part of the reason of why I enjoy working for UEI College.

3. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at International Education Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High expectations, a lot of training and it’s all in an effort to ensure students receive quality training. The expectations are high and management is firm but I now understand these expectations must also apply to students. I have had high achieving students and very challenging students and the greatest reward is in seeing all of them uncover their potential, graduate and get a job! We have a lot of fun but being an instructor in UEI Chula Vista is a much different experience than at former colleges I have taught for. The expectations are high to ensure the students are trained properly. I have seen quite a few instructors leave and now know they just weren’t in this for the students. Communication and speaking up is encouraged and management here listens and takes action. They are also very involved and easy to talk to and work with. They encourage growth and provide a lot of training and support. If you love helping students and ready to work hard, this is the school to be with!

Cons

More time to work with students and staff outside of class. Events are fantastic and would love to be part of organizing them too.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep expectations high and provide support for employees to achieve them and grow. This always results in our student’s success.

4. "UEI COLLEGE BAKERSFIELD"

Former Employee - N/A in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at International Education Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This campus is amazing! The work that they do for students, graduates and the community of Kern County is just excellent. They truly care and show the ability follow through with their mission and assist graduates with a better quality of life. I definitely feel that this particular campus displays exemplary results and a genuine combined effort to assist students, staff and faculty.

Cons

I do not have any cons to share at this time, I am truly impressed with the experience.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to do their very best to serve the student body and assist with their needs within the realm of possibility.

5. "Challenging at times, but fulfilling"

Former Employee - Student Finance in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Student Finance in Irvine, CA

I worked at International Education Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-company culture
    -success of the students and its employees
    -team/family atmosphere

Cons

-no room for advancement
    -management micromanaged

Advice to Management

Room for advancement

6. "An Outstanding Administrative Position"

Former Employee - Federal Work Study in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Federal Work Study in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at International Education Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

constant face-to-face and phone contact with students and other interested parties; busy, yet laid-back and friendly atmosphere

Cons

I can't think of any.

7. "Severely Under Paid and Under Appreciated"

Former Employee - Computer Systems Technician Lead Instructor in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at International Education Corporation part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The students, peiod and nothing else.

Cons

1. Staff Complaint - Visit (or Google Map) IEC headquarters in Irvine, and then compare it a local UEI, U.S. College, Florida Career College, or anything under IEC's umbrella. Pay attention to the luxury cars headquarters at IEC, vs. the typical jalopies in the local UEI, U.S. College, Florida Career College staff parking. This should tell you how much they get paid vs. how under paid and underappreciated you will be if you work here. This should also be a note for potential students, on how much you are getting ripped off.

2. Staff Complaint - I worked at the UEI College in Chula Vista for almost 9 years. This place is ran locally with no HR department. Long story short, I had my security clearance investigator call to check if I worked there in the past (I included former supervisor's name, phone, and email, along with front desk number), and they misdirected my investigator in the wrong direction, rather than helping a former employee out.

3. Staff Complaint – This school places so much emphasis on student attendance because they are paid $50 per hour every student is in attendance. Rather than teaching the students, there are staff training periods and actual school time dedicated towards locating these missing students. If you would rather teach, than report your numbers, this is not the place for you. Trust me, I’ve seen many good teachers get replaced because of this one thing because we are all extremely expendable with this company

3. Student Complaint - I've never felt so guilty in my entire life. I helped this company rip-off 100s of students immediate and long-term futures by being a snake oil salesman. All of those former students are still paying outrageous loans with minimum wage jobs they could have just gotten from their own high school education or through a temp agency. Please please please do your own homework before picking up that phone or talking with the school's admission reps:
    * Read the Yelp, BBB, Glassdoor, and other Student/Consumer Complaint reviews. From my own first-hand experience, 95% of those complaints, are 100% valid.
    * Visit a local UEI and find a student on the brink of graduating or going on intern/extern, and ask them if their new career job is secure (not temp or probationary) and how many of their classmates have secure jobs, as well, or at all.
     * ~80-90% of the programs offered here are either outdated, or you do not need UEI's so-called diploma to get you the job. For example, a CompTIA A+ certificate is not enough to get your foot in the door of the IT world. Just look around your own neighborhoods and see how many customers go through a computer/ cell phone repair kiosk? Also, you can get a guard card for .016% of the price of going through UEI's Criminal Justice program.
    * Find the LinkedIn accounts to your local UEI's staff. At least from what I witnessed from my 9 years of working there, a lot of the staff do not have college degrees themselves. In fact, some of the staff were former students with 1 year of working experience. You are not learning from top-tier professionals; you are learning from bench players, at best.

Advice to Management

For the staff: 1. Sure teachers across the board are under paid and underappreciated. The thing is you don't see the school's dean, principals, or school/district superintendents taking boat trips, vacations, or raises as lavish as they do with IEC. Pay your instructors and give them benefits, because there are several other vocational schools that do pay a lot more fairly 2. Employ a more customer friendly HR ready department. 3. Hire someone else (not the instructor’s job) who tracks missing students.

For the students: 1. Update update update. Buy more up-to-date equipment and not something picked up from E-bay's bulk bargain basement. Also, hire real professionals with advanced degrees and years of experience to share with these students. Lastly, update the career outcomes from your website. From my nine years of working with the UEI, I would say only 5% of all the students I saw from any and every program had attained and made it a career out of one of those career outcomes. 2. Lower your tuition rate. It is currently on-par with some 4-year universities tuition rate. To be honest, I would not be shocked if this school was shut down for their mismanaged practices, like Marinello School of Beauty did a few years ago.

International Education Corporation Response

Dec 3, 2018 – Management

Dear Former UEI College Colleague,

Thank you for your comments. We take colleague feedback very seriously. In fact, in our quarterly colleague feedback which is completely confidential and... More

8. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at International Education Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and great work environment
    This company focuses on the student and their best interest
    The students and the staff are great to work with
    Campus President is actively involved with the campuses departments

Cons

The health benefits cost are higher than other education companies.

Advice to Management

Nothing, keep the focus on the student!

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Student Finance in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Student Finance in Stockton, CA

I have been working at International Education Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great work environment
    - Plenty of room for internal growth
    - Positively affecting and changing student's lives
    - Heavy focus on compliance and integrity
    - Senior management is involved and in touch with the campuses
    - CEO has monthly calls with every region and allows anyone to join to ask any questions or concerns about the company
    -Good benefits

Cons

- I have none at this time

10. "This company wants you to thrive!"

Current Employee - Student Finance in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Student Finance in Fresno, CA

Pros

This company genuinely wants its employees to grow and thrive. So many steps have been implemented to make sure we are getting the training that we need, that we are successful, and that we are being recognized for our efforts. We are taught to take care of our students by being taken care of by our managers; not just at the campus level but also at the corporate level. We are encouraged to reach out and ask questions, and there is always someone to pick up the phone. I truly feel respected and as though I have a future with this organization.

Cons

There are no cons if you are enthusiastic and give 100%. This company will give it back!