Cover image for International Fellowship of Christians and Jews

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews President Yael Eckstein
Yael Eckstein

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Nov 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, and great people

Cons

I don’t really have any cons

1 person found this review helpful

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews Response

Thank you so much for the great review and for being a dedicated team member. We recognize that each person has a choice in where they choose to share their talents. Thank you for choosing us.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Taught me what I don't want in an employer

Sep 1, 2022 - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was my first job out of college, and it definitely gave me experience working in an office environment. If you want to learn about the non-profit industry this is a good place to start. Good benefits package, and some very friendly people.

Cons

Employees are overworked and concerns are rarely acknowledged unless you're part of the 'in-crew' or a yes man. Many employees express being overworked and yet nothing is ever done. When I was originally hired, I had the workload of two people. As time passed I expressed my concerns with being overworked and stressed. After being assured that an additional employee would be hired to assist with the workload, help only came after I had two mental breaks. The Global Chief Operating Officer is too concerned with surface level goals that she completely forgets that it's the employees that make this organization. Instead of focusing on creating a shiny new office, a thousand task forces and constantly restructuring the org, I would suggest investing more in skill development for all employees.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

They are running a scam.

Apr 21, 2022 - Donor Support in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

None. If you have any morals whatsoever you will not help these people line their own pockets with money they take from trusting but naive and dirt-poor Americans

Cons

I made a huge mistake taking this job. I was fooled by their supposed humanitarian mission and I quit when I found out where the money was really going. Don't make the same mistake: Before deciding to work here or donating to this reprehensible organization, please watch the documentary "Til Kingdom Come" on PBS to see how they scam poor rural Christians. Watching the CEO smirk as she smugly asserts that "Christians and Jews share the same beliefs -- until end times..." is truly sickening. And keep in mind that she makes more than $600,000 a year. Shame on you and everyone who works for you. Oh, and before you even think about donating, go take a look at their ridiculously expensive new offices, taking up an entire floor of a swanky high-rise overlooking Lake Michigan and downtown Chicago. While most companies have embraced working from home for productivity and cost savings, the IFCJ has doubled-down on living high on the hog on donor's money.

12 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Co-workers were wonderful

Jul 21, 2022 - Email Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers Located in downtown Chicago

Cons

The overall organization is poorly managed.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Collaborative Work / Innovation Encouraged

Nov 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing about working for The Fellowship is the people who work at The Fellowship. Working with a group of people who care about each other, who care about the mission of The Fellowship, and who support each other through times of professional and personal trial is beyond comparison. Supportive leadership from managers up to GCOO.

Cons

Our upcoming hybrid schedule of 3-days in office and 2-days at home does not seem flexible enough for those staff members who have a long commute or other challenges.

2 people found this review helpful

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews Response

Thank you for your positive review and helpful feedback. You've shared your dedication to The Fellowship's mission and team members for a long time. You've helped us to grow and learn by not only sharing your talents, but also sharing who you are as an individual and sharing your insight. During the pandemic, we've been able to continue many of our business operations with most staff working remotely on a full-time basis. Prior to the pandemic, we were setup as a full-time, in office workforce. It is because of feedback from team members such as yourself that we were able to consider and move forward with offering a hybrid schedule. There will also be some flexibility in the days scheduled in the office to help accommodate both the needs of the organization and personal needs of staff. Being in office, at least part time, bears great impact on our organizational culture and connectivity. Many staff members that have been going into the office recently have commented on the positive returns of being in the office part-time. When we eventually return to the office with this hybrid schedule, we will continue to assess the program through management and all staff surveys, both formally and informally. We’d like you to continue sharing your sentiments when we move forward to help us in our journey toward continuous improvement. We can't thank you enough for everything you've done over the years and your continued support.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Organization Intentionally focused on Improved Process and Culture

Nov 17, 2021 - Senior Director, Integrated Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing healthcare and retirement benefits Flexible hours Focus on positive culture and healthy work life balance Leadership is transparent in communicating objectives and strategies to entire organization Opportunities for career growth and promotion

Cons

Growing pains that lead to continued structure changes and feeling of instability Challenged to fully staff many positions including key leadership positions, with issues in hiring and retaining qualified candidates Mission and marketing materials can be polarizing based on affiliation with religious groups and political spokespeople

Be the first to find this review helpful

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews Response

Thank you for your encouraging words and feedback. At The Fellowship, our effort is to focus on providing staff with culture, pay, and benefits that will be a positive impact on each part of an employee's life and ongoing development. We have many devoted and gifted staff. It is important to utilize each team member's growth and development of their talents in a manner that will be beneficial to moving our mission forward. This often leads to expanded roles or promotions internally. The Fellowship has continued to grow, meeting and beating the expectations of our strategic plan. These milestones have created a need for additional staff. Like many other companies, we are experiencing the challenges of finding new talent for the organization as part of the aptly named "Great Resignation" across the nation, despite our important mission. We are always striving to be better and maintain a positive organizational culture through staff feedback. We will continue to pursue this feedback through multiple channels and are grateful for staff like you who share their thoughts and encourage others to do so through your leadership.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee

Needs better leadership

Mar 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people (excluding leadership) - Competitive salary and benefits for a non-profit (though not as good as they'll tell you, you can find better) - Occasionally meaningful mission (Ukrainian Holocaust survivors definitely need help, but most of the immigration program is giving free airplane tickets to educated professionals who make more than the donors, not to mention all the money given to soldiers for "therapeutic" ping pong tables and Xboxes)

Cons

- CEO makes $600,000 a year but asks the ministry to pay to renovate her attic and paint her house. - COO says cost-to-raise-a-dollar limits spending on needed headcount but spends who knows how much on a new office design with textured 3D wall treatments including a faux Western Wall. - Too many others to count including a "manage through meetings" mentality, popularity politics (favoring people who previously worked with the COO at Save the Children), a "yes" culture (only the CEO and COO are allowed to say no), remote work options for new hires (current staff are regularly discouraged from requesting this, though some of the "favorites" still got it), "restructuring" mass layoffs, even dismissing staff on disability.

16 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Marketing with a mission

Feb 8, 2022 - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO is amazing and was able to totally shift the previous working environment

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive

Be the first to find this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We appreciate your recognition of the positive shift in our culture. Our Senior Leadership Team strives to ensure that we foster a culture that upholds our global Core values. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope that the next steps in your journey have afforded you a positive experience.

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Motivated by fear

Nov 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Not much else.

Cons

I've been here for less than a year, but I'm actively looking elsewhere. The culture here is horrible. Everyone is motivated by fear and most of our work consists of meetings and reports that serve only to reassure upper management that we are doing our jobs. Such a mess.

10 people found this review helpful

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews Response

Hello team member, We appreciate your feedback. As a newer employee, we are disappointed that this has been your experience thus far. We encourage you to share your thoughts and suggestions for solutions directly with your manager or an HR representative, without fear of doing so, prior to making a decision to leave the organization. You have the ability to directly impact our culture and we hope you will take an opportunity to do so. We are grateful to have talented staff that enjoy what they do and the ability to impact the lives of millions of beneficiaries and to impact the success of their colleagues. This can only be achieved by having a variety of skillsets, thought processes, and feedback on each team. The desire is not to be homogenous but to have the best talent within the organization. Being in a remote environment requires frequent, ongoing communications among all levels of the organization. We are not afforded with the impromptu in-person updates to our colleagues. The effort is not to micromanage. In contrast, it is to ensure everyone at all levels are "in the know" of what's happening in the organization on a consistent basis. Reporting is used to inform important strategies and decision-making. We have a very collaborative environment that often leads to key influencers and decision-makers meeting to come to a quicker consensus of how to move forward, rather than operating in silos and incurring the potential of adversely impacting a colleague's work processes. There are a variety of markers that are taken into consideration for ongoing remote work, including review of the needs of the organization, the ability of the role to be done effectively as a remote position, the employee's location and performance, and much more. We understand that perception is a key factor in staff sentiment. It can be impacted by our ability to be transparent in our business decisions yet hold true to the often confidential nature and confidential expectations that each team member expects of their employer.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Worst place to work

Dec 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can think of few.

Cons

This is the worst place I've ever worked. The COO plays favorites and is probably the worst person I've worked with in my career. Conflict of interest left and right. I'm still recovering from what this place did to me. I was lured in by a truly fake culture - it all was a lie. Family life is not respected and work life balance is non-existent. I worked so hard and received conflicting direction. The values are basically live and breathe work and pretend to love everyone. Fake Fellowship. Dangerous for mental health. Run!

11 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews
</>Embed

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews Reviews FAQs

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 45 reviews left anonymously by employees. 44% of employees would recommend working at International Fellowship of Christians and Jews to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -19% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, International Fellowship of Christians and Jews employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at International Fellowship of Christians and Jews. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

44% of International Fellowship of Christians and Jews employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated International Fellowship of Christians and Jews 2.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.9 for culture and values and 2.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at International Fellowship of Christians and Jews to be compensation, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, career development, senior leadership.