International Flavors & Fragrances Reviews | Glassdoor

International Flavors & Fragrances Chairman and CEO Andreas Fibig
Andreas Fibig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Management style need to improve as well as work life balance initiatives" (in 10 reviews)

• "Senior management is difficult and inconsistent" (in 11 reviews)

1. "What a company"

Current Employee - Senior Flavorist
    Current Employee - Senior Flavorist

I have been working at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IFF is a good company, benefits are good, salary aligned with market, extra perks, not too many, but one thing I love are my colleagues. Been here less than a year and since day one they have been so good to me. I came from a very structured company and here it is a bit different, kinda like leaving people do their thing. Love that I am driving distance from home that is a huge plus for me.

Cons

Not alot of policies to guide you which can be good but sometimes a bit bad, depends. Not many mor cons

Advice to Management

If you could have some more perks like free transportation IFF would be the place I would retire.

2. "Interesting job at a family-oriented company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union Beach, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union Beach, NJ

I worked at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My R and D job at IFF (and I believe this is not just my experience) was interesting and dynamic. I had plenty of opportunities to learn about different parts of the company and get involved in projects that impact different parts of the business. Innovative research is the rule, not an exception.
    Most people manage to maintain a good work-life balance (although many top performers work much more than 40 hours) and summer hours.

Cons

Career growth occurs slowly and often depends on the number of years worked rather than performance. Once your manager puts in for a promotion, you will wait for a year or longer before it gets approved. Salary growth is also slow -- so make sure to use a good fact-based source (h1bdata.info) when negotiating.

"I am IFF"

Current Employee - Plant Operator in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ

I have been working at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IFF is starting to look into the future and I really like that. In my 22 years the number of opportunities I've been given has been far more than I ever thought possible. I can't say enough of the people, the managers but also our industr mix of art and science. I am seeing a huge push from the company to enable more training, I also see a change in management coming out and meeting with us. This is so important because in the plants we don';t get any face time with upper executives.

Cons

I heard they are working on this so for now it ain't a cons, but I am looking forward to the study they are doing to see if there are other benefits IFF can provide to enable more condensed workweeks.

Advice to Management

I really am seeing a change,. My only advice is to stick to the plan you seem to be on and get out to the plants so we can all exchange views. Continue on this path cuz I think it is the right one.

"Senior Process Engineer Corporate Engineering"

Former Employee - Manager Global Process Automation | Corporate Engineering in Hazlet, NJ

I worked at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Senior manager with comprehensive production, design engineering, project leadership and process experience on a global scale. Extensive knowledge of automated equipment and plant processes to ensure continuous improvement in development, cost, quality and production. Proven strategic thinker assessing business goals and cost while improving both technical and hands on efficiencies. Results oriented innovator accomplished in leveraging technical solutions and financial challenges.

Cons

Separation Company reorganization resulting in downsize of corporate engineering worldwide

Advice to Management

Extensive knowledge of shop floor production environment, qualified in many areas as process design, project management on a global scale, managed and commissioned new plant process of liquids, powders, reactions, distillations.

5. "Account Executive"

I worked at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent base salary, 401k, medical and dental benefits and many other optional benefits available.

Cons

Senior management is difficult and inconsistent. Expectations and sales targets are unrealistic. Work load at all levels across departments exceeds resources. Lots of turnover in most areas and key in leadership positions. Little to no investment in staff.

Advice to Management

Commit to and execute against the strategy. Practice your vision and mission statements. Respect and value your employees.

"Horrible place to work at"

Former Employee - HRSC ASSOCIATE in Hazlet, NJ
    Former Employee - HRSC ASSOCIATE in Hazlet, NJ

I worked at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and higher management can get away doing anything

Cons

HR service centre is the worst place to be at, since everyone treats you like trash. Yes, HR team treating one another in a very unprofessional manner. Very toxic environment to work at for back bitting and jealousy for doing your job. Management won't lift a finger to a do the right thing. Outside of HR employees never got support or sexual harassment cases were never taken seriously. Interns and contracts were being treated baldy. One of the plants' managers was sexually harassing female employees and nothing was being done after 5 complains. Later these two specific employees were terminated, since easy to replace.

Advice to Management

Please terminate some HR Managers for violating laws and not promote them to avoid problems.

International Flavors & Fragrances Response

Feb 13, 2018 – VP, Strategic Workforce Planning, talent ACquisition, Diversity & Inclusion

At IFF, we take the allegations you raise in your post very seriously. To that end, we have immediately conducted an internal review and were unable to find any record of the harassment reports you... More

"OUT OF TOUCH"

Current Employee - Manager in Union Beach, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Union Beach, NJ

I have been working at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its work
    Large amount of people Leaving for better Jobs so you will have a Job if you want it

Cons

They keep taking away .
    There is NO work life balance , you are expected to be available even when on vacation.
    Benefits are no longer in line with other Jobs

Advice to Management

STOP Spending $$ on Open space , ( Employees Don't like it), and start offering better benefits.

"Perfumer"

I have been working at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time

Pros

I enjoy the entrepreneur spirit of our company. Not too procedural driven still structured enough to function effectively. People here are spectacular, creative, kind, incredible.

Cons

Have not found cons yet in over 11 years. Of course I could say compensation but nothing compensates working with a talented diverse group of people sometimes from all around the world.

Advice to Management

This year they are focussing on transparency and a culture survey. My suggestion is to drive it home, the people are really worth it.

"Work you to death"

Former Employee - Production in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Production in Carrollton, TX

I worked at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

medical and 401k are decent. paid holidays. pays for all safety equipment.

Cons

Employees are treated like second class citizens. Pay is extremely low compared to the market in the Dallas area. Employees with college degrees are paid the same or sometimes less than others with no college education. Since the pay is low you are always working with inexperienced and unqualified people. They can not keep good people because they leave after a few years to get higher pay at another company. They rarely promote from within and usually go outside the company to fill positions. They exploit illegal immigrants for cheap labor. There is at least one guy there using someone else social security number so he can work there. Extreme PC culture there, you can not even say “Merry Christmas” because they think it might offend someone. Instead you have to say “Happy Holidays”. They pride themselves on being diverse but what it means is that they hire mostly everyone that is not white. Hostile work environment for white people. HR is a joke, people throw the race card with impunity. Work hours are horrendous, at times people can be forced to work 15 hours a day and they will not hire any help. Night shift will work most holidays since their shift starts the day before. If you are lucky to get one, raises are terrible and do not even keep up with inflation. They do not have enough employees so if someone is sick or on vacation then you will be forced to work a different shift then you normally do. You can't use your cell phone at all, even if it is to check the time. They will write you up if you even touch your cell phone. Management micromanages everything. They stalk you, sneak up on you, and follow you around; which is very creepy and borderline stalking. Career wise IFF is just a stepping stone, only come here if you need to gain experience. Otherwise STAY AWAY from this place.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay to reasonable levels so you can retain quality employees. Hire people based on merit, not on race. Cut all the liberal politics from the company. No one likes to be forced into another's ideology. Give employees the freedoms to do their job the best way they can, micromanaging people creates inefficiency. Hire more employees or at least some temps so people don't have to work such grueling hours.

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at International Flavors & Fragrances full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and decent pay

Cons

Management issues/Not listening to employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your people