International Human Resources Development Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great life/work balance.
    Fantastic group of people to work with. Everyone (from every level of the org chart) have a genuine interest in getting to know you and help you.
    Depending of position, opportunity to travel to exotic places and interact with people from all around the world.
    Culture permeate from top to bottom

Cons

Limited growth opportunities
    Attire is business formal, even for teams with no client interaction

"What a MESS! Stay away from competency management"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at International Human Resources Development Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can get paid well. Met some great, interesting people

Cons

They DO NOT understand how to develop software, nor do they care. If you care about quality and success in the marketplace, you will hate it here.

Advice to Management

Learn how to develop good software before it is too late.

"Incompetence runs rampant in Comptency Mgt Group"

Current Employee - Minion in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Minion in Boston, MA

I have been working at International Human Resources Development Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the employees are very intelligent and passionate about their work. Hard work is recognized and celebrated by a generous box of bagels and multiple types of cream cheese. It's what makes the team want to come to work and perform harder. Verbal accolades are never necessary because we are all mind readers and we don't need it. We can just "sense" it. Even if you do something wrong it is gloriously spread throughout the company so others can join in on the fun. It's exciting!

Cons

The only down side it the lack of micro managing. There needs to be a little bit more of it because everyone love to be micro managed. Perhaps more chocolate chip bagels too.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to give to a perfect management team who love the word "I". So much so it's used incessantly throughout most conversations. They are always right and are more than happy to tell you so. Heck, you can even go into the directors office and talk about how wonderful they are at any time and for as long as you like. It's an environment that is so amazing it make you go "wow".

4. "Fairly new to the Company; first time at a small firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Well respected products; good company overall. The people are great and the diversity of ages, genders and ethnic backgrounds is surprising considering the small size of the company. With a small company comes less structure, more ability to consider the personal side of things. Some of the policies around dress code and working hours could probably be more flexible, but the atmosphere is professional. Senior managers seem genuinely interested in their employees well-being.
    You are not expected to work all hours - reasonable 8 hour days are the norm.

Cons

There is room for improvement in some policies and practices, and more flexibility in working from home, 'jeans' on Friday and the like would be appreciated. Need more transparency in how decisions are made. Some changes are happening but could be moving faster.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more freedom and provide more communication on company strategy. For an Education Company, there is not enough emphasis on employee training and advanced education support.

5. "Family-owned and operated company with good senior management and old-school traditions/values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Bottom line, this place is a comfortable, friendly place for a traditional 9-5 cubicle job, with decent pay, caring management and good coworker relationships. Strikes me as a great place for someone who wants to work the same job till they retire at 65 (aka an ideal company 60 years ago).

Each of the three major business units are overseen by a son/daughter of the founder and current President. I've heard good and bad things about the various BU and lesser department heads (more good than bad in general), but for my part working directly for Tim Donohue under the eLS Business Unit, I can say that I am very happy with my boss. He is smart and capable of discussing/understanding technical ideas, while still being largely hands off and willing to place trust in employees. He maintains a professional but relaxed atmosphere.

The Donohue family as a whole seems to be very community-oriented, which shows in the way they treat and care about their employees. Having come in from a cut-throat startup atmosphere, I found this very impressive.

The coworkers are great too. There's definitely a younger and older generation, but there's plenty of independent coworker hangouts and friendships that reflect the friendly nature of the group as a whole. Generally a well-educated workforce, many PhDs and technical competence. There are pockets of employees around the world, in Nigeria, Malaysia, Argentina, the UK, all of whom work with us at the main office.

The company is well-established in the industry, and in terms of its own culture. There are maybe 50-80 people in the Boston office spread between two floors. I know and work with maybe half of them on at least an occasional basis, and closer to a dozen on a regular basis.

In terms of culture/benefits/policies, most seems to be traditional by-the-book, but a bit more generous:
    - Two weeks off a year.
    - Matching on the 401k after a year
    - Two personal days a year. separate from sick days
    - 8:30-5pm, 7.5 hour workday (early days on the day before holidays/holiday weekends)

Flexible hours and remote work are generally discouraged but still occur, depending on the employees role and who your manager is, etc.

Legitimate work-life balance. This is not a startup where you're expected to put in 12 hours a day. You are expected to perform within the boundaries of a 7.5 hour workday, and the President has the mindset that overworked employees are unproductive. Plenty of employees have families/kids, and there is plenty of flexibility around scheduling conflicts, etc.

Cons

There are some downsides to the old-school mentality. Office formal is the way to go, though non-customer facing men can get away with not wearing ties during the summer months. Don't expect to wear jeans on Fridays though!

The pace of progress is slow, and key decisions are handled by the Donohue family. This is not a company to become personally invested in, unless its as a loyal employee following the leadership of the family. Don't expect to come in here and run the place, even if you've got the talent for it. However, this does seem like the sort of place you could build a long-term career at, so long as your happy remaining largely at your station.

I've been here less than two years, so I'm unsure of the usual MO, but my last salary increase was less than current inflation. I was hired at a fair salary (that I actually proposed), so I will withhold judgement on this till more time has passed and I've made a request for a larger raise (it's also worth noting that I didn't request a salary increase, the one I got was automatic).

Advice to Management

They do most things right. My suggestion is that, as a company with a heavy focus on computer technology, that they work on embracing the modern work culture that has developed in that industry. By this I mean taking into serious consideration their company-wide policy on remote work opportunities, flexible hours, casual dress, all the other perks familiar to Google/Facebook/startup employees.

Separately, I'd recommend a focus on hiring technically competent middle management for the eLS and CMS business units. There are a lot of frontline designers and developers being managed by people who are simply not experienced in how to effectively manage those kinds of projects. They affect morale and lead to poor project outcomes that could be avoided by a manager more experienced in software projects.

There's concern from long-term employees about the future of the company after the President and founder steps down. There are some who believe that the children of the founder intend to cash out on the business and move on, and others who believe that they will try to keep it going but won't succeed. I'm in no position to judge either way though.

"Don't bother"

Pros

Opportunities to travel if you like.

Cons

Poor leadership. Lack of clear succession plan. Discourages creativity.

"Don't work for the firm."

Pros

Back Bay location is nice. Nigerian employees are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The firms way or the highway. Like to blame the employees for client relationship issues even though the VPs (children) manage every relationship. Ask about the high turnover.

Advice to Management

Advice to David. Sell the company so normal people don't have to work for you. Think about why your turnover is so high; good people don't want to work for your children. They have no managerial skills.

"Family-owned and managed. Friendly culture. Tedious and professionally frustrating."

I have been working at International Human Resources Development Corp full-time

Pros

Good location in the Back Bay, camaraderie between employees is good, benefits are good, compensation is OK. Family-owned company so the general feel is friendly. Management is personable, employees are smart and highly capable.

Cons

Micromanaging is a widespread problem-management does not appear to acknowledge the staff's talent and strengths. There is little planning and implementation on a larger scale-be ready to put out fires constantly. Projects are hard to complete or even advance most the time. Advancement and training are little to zero-ironic for a training and competency management company.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do their work well and delegate, there is a lot of potential to be tapped into
    Be more receptive to ideas, listen and give them a chance
    Get out of the "this worked before so it should work now" approach
    Work on company-wide strategic planning and actual implementation

"The epicenter of mediocrity"

Pros

Good location. Some interesting people. Reasonable hours. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

There is no room for growth in many positions. The upper management is very rigid, and is only interested in their own ideas. Creativity is quelled immediately. If you have a boring personality, aren't interested in having any responsibility, and just want a job this is a the place for you.

"Play by their rules."

I worked at International Human Resources Development Corp full-time

Pros

Interesting industry. Employees are loyal.

Cons

Old school management and mentality.