International Justice Mission Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Haugen

Pros
  • Best of the best working to protect the poor from violence all over the world (in 5 reviews)

• Wonderful, hard-working, excellence-seeking people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • IJM attracts very motivated and dedicated employees, which tends to exacerbate an environment of performance at the expense of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Classic growing pains as IJM "graduates" to (in 5 reviews)

1. "The best and hardest thing you'll ever do."

Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing beats how rewarding it is to know that, regardless of your department, you may be part of rescuing someone from slavery that day.

Cons

It takes an incredible toll on you to constantly be reminded of how broken the world is and how greatly people are suffering.

Advice to Management

We have excellent leadership at IJM.

2. "Results Driven Human Rights Organization"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at IJM means that every day you can leave work knowing that you made a tangible difference in the world. You are privileged to work with like-minded colleagues who care about the mission, our clients and each other. IJM also trusts its employees to do their work and make business decisions based on data and results. The culture at IJM is encouraging and caring.

Cons

Because of the type of employee at IJM attracts and the compelling mission we are undertaking, it can lead to periods of high work volume. In my experience, when you have a conversation about work/life balance with your manager it is well received and steps are taken to mitigate it, but there is a cultural push to strive that needs to be fought against.

Advice to Management

The changes made in the past couple of years have been positive, and IJM continues to be a rewarding, fun and challenging place to work. As more change continues to come, having an internal communications staff and rhythm of internal communications would go along way towards having positive change management (instead of learning of things through the grapevine).

"Inspiring & Learning to Innovate"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The same things that attracted me to work at IJM are still true every day: the vision is inspiring, the accomplishments are rewarding, the colleagues are hilarious and brilliant, and the other benefits (pay, spiritual formation, community) are fantastic.

Even on the days when my job can feel tedious or frustrating, we get to see the real impact of our work: children and families are rescued from slavery and violence, and we're creating massive change to better protect the poor long-term. I've gotten great experience as a young professional to grow and develop.

Cons

IJM has gone through a lot of growing pains over the last few years as we transition from a small organization to a medium one. It's meant a lot of shifting priorities and structures, which has felt very painful at times. Within the last year, though, leaders have done an intentional job of communicating clearly and helping manage change to keep us on track.

In the day-to-day, I think we struggle with many of the same challenges of other non-profits: keeping things lean enough to be cost-effective while not having enough staff and resources to always innovate the ways we'd like. Our work in the field is very cutting edge, but we're still learning how to do that in our U.S. office and it can feel frustrating for some people coming from resource-rich corporate backgrounds.

"Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

The mission is fantastic and most of the employees truly strive for excellence.

Cons

The changes that have occurred, especially among leadership, in the past two years are so have been truly disappointing. There is little to no accountability and decisions are rashly made without thinking about the long term effects on staff. (Reorg after reorg) At one point, I would have highly recommended working here, but now, cannot with good conscience recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Leadership desperately needs more accountability and humility. I wish the board and HR would take former staff complaints more seriously.

International Justice Mission Response

Jan 6, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your sincere feedback. I acknowledge that words can’t go back and change you experience, but would share that I’m sorry it was not a positive one. IJM has certainly changed, as we’ve ... More

"Great organization, Stuffy staff"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at International Justice Mission (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership makes a concerted effort to keep the entire organization involved in the mission. Daily briefings truly make the lowest level employees feel like they are contributing to saving lives and ending poverty.

Cons

It is a religious organization and it is easy to see how placing that at the center of the company limits the scope of the mission. The model relies upon pre-existing Christian communities within areas of operation to serve as volunteers, host fellows and interns, and act as liaisons to the wider community. This is not to say that IJM will not work to say Muslim or Buddhist or Hindu victims, but the organization's preference for Christian employees and refusal to work where there is not a large Christian community does scream irridentism.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Pay your interns and fellows. And for the love of God, lose the Kingdom Come mentality- it makes your worse at your job.

"I love my job here!"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started at IJM in an entry-level position and can hardly believe the opportunities I have had to grow and use my skills in my work here. In particular, it's remarkable to me how much IJM's leadership invests in the younger staff. The leaders are personable and encouraging, and they have challenged and mentored me, helping me grow professionally and personally. At all levels of the organization, the people who work here are amazing, driven, fun people; I've met some of my best friends in my colleagues.

Cons

IJM is growing fast. We are also consistently learning from our work and adapting in order to serve our clients better. As such, there has been a good bit of change in the past few years, which I think has been seen as a bad thing. But change can actually be a GREAT thing if it means you're adapting and working smarter. As someone else wrote in a previous review, if stasis is not your thing, then you might find IJM's adaptations stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people -- and thank you for the significant focus on employee development recently!

"Best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Very compelling and focused mission. Amazingly smart, talented and fun colleagues. Holistic professional and leadership development including the most robust spiritual formation environment I've ever experienced. Over an almost three-decade career spanning three different large organizations, I can unreservedly say that IJM is the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Through my time at IJM, change has been constant. There is no stasis. Over the last few years in particular, different divisions have met the challenge of change with differing levels of management expertise. As a result, some parts of the organization have experienced more pain than others. If you prefer stasis, IJM may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Keep leading through change. Continue working to stay in front of the growth curve. And please continue to innovate ways to bring rescue and restoration to those vulnerable to abuse, restraint to perpetrators, and transformation to public justice systems. Two decades ago all this seemed impossible to most. These days we are witness to almost daily miracles as justice is actually delivered to more and more of the world's poor.

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IJM is a results driven team that seeks to protect the poor from violence across the world. The staff are the smartest and finest people I could ever hope to work alongside.

Cons

As a results driven team that attracts top talent, staff are called upon to work very hard. This can present challenges to maintaining sustainable engagement.

Advice to Management

Continue to ensure that compensation is competitive and sufficient for the Washington D.C. area, which has a very high cost of living.

"World-changer that adds great meaning to my work and life"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to help change history, make a difference in the world as part of the largest, most effective organization battling modern slavery.
    Amazing colleagues, many of whom took demotions and/or pay cuts from brilliant careers elsewhere to come to IJM.
    Integration of faith and work beyond any church or faith-based organization I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few).

Cons

Classic growing pains as IJM "graduates" to > $50M annual revenue, the big hurdle few INGOs navigate well. Lots of change; change management is not IJM's strength.
    Daily exposure to darkness and evil, the everyday violence perpetrated upon the poor and oppressed takes its toll on your heart. We can't rescue every victim, the fight to end impunity is long and hard, but miracles ARE happening and it's totally worth it to me to know that I play a small part in rescue and restoration of real people, and transformation of broken public justice systems so fewer real people will be at risk.
    So much to do, so few resources. Like all non-profits, IJM has to stretch donor dollars to the max. The nature of the mission is so compelling, it's easy to work longer hours than managers are even asking for, longer hours than healthy.

Advice to Management

Examine yourselves, don't let fear drive you. Be vulnerable. Err on the side of over-communication, up, down and sideways. Own mistakes. In budgeting staff requirements, recognize that the value of setting aside 1 hour/day, several days/year for prayer and spiritual formation is compromised by the reality that that time (and more) has to be put in as overtime to get the job done.

"Great mission, people and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission is great and challenging. The people are motivated and passionate. The overall culture is great. Leadership cares about the staff, their spiritual health and life outside of work. The CEO is often encouraging us to be kind and caring toward one another in our work. Leadership communicates well with the staff, especially while dealing with a lot of recent transition and restructuring.

Cons

IJM has been growing and is scaling up a number of areas to support an even larger organization, not for the sake of size but for the sake of protecting more people from violence by ending slavery and human trafficking and transforming justice systems globally. Growth means that things change, and sometimes they change significantly and often. A new ERP system is in the works and will bring more changes to processes and roles. You need to be comfortable with change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with open, honest, and frequent communication with staff. Maintain high integrity and humility always.