International Justice Mission Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Gary Haugen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best of the best working to protect the poor from violence all over the world (in 5 reviews)

• This is a hard-working and kind bunch of employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • IJM attracts very motivated and dedicated employees, which tends to exacerbate an environment of performance at the expense of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Classic growing pains as IJM "graduates" to (in 6 reviews)

1. "Terrific place to work"

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IJM's mission to end slavery and protect the poor from violence is incredibly motivating. The staff are passionate about their work and take very good care of one another.

Cons

IJM is going through a lot of change and this has at times been overwhelming to some.

"Compelling mission, stuffy culture, haphazard project & change mgmt"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at International Justice Mission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compelling mission with great benefits, and better than average pay for an NGO

Cons

Staff are almost always very stressed because there's an expectation to constantly bite off more than can be chewed due to the urgency of IJM's very compelling mission. As a result projects and change are poorly managed, lacking some very basic standard operating procedures, resulting in even more stress. IJM moves so quickly that it virtually never pauses to reflect, analyze, and learn. Lessons are not absorbed into the organization's knowledge & culture.

IJM seems fairly typical of DC culture - the expectation to be straight-laced and type-A. Add to that the slightly conservative bent of it being a christian organization and the requirements to dress in business formal clothing every day, the result is a suffocating company culture. Only work here if this sounds attractive to you.

IJM has grown very rapidly in recent years. As a result, their back-office operations have had tremendous growing pains, causing very high leadership turnover and chronically unfilled positions. Things feel constantly in-flux at IJM which takes its toll on everyone. If you interview at IJM, specifically in business or people operations, demand honest answers about leadership and management turnover before accepting an offer.

IJM has approached a lot of these problems by just hiring more staff, hoping that more employees will plug the gaps in missing or inconsistent back-office processes. Unfortunately, this not only makes back-office processes more disjointed; it also means that a staff's job description is only accurate for the duration of the quick-fix project they were hired to work on, if ever. As a result, there is no clear career path for most staff.

Even though IJM does commit a great deal of resources towards spiritual formation, quarterly retreats, daily prayer and sincerely pursues spiritual well-being in its work, I find that too often this results in dismissing pressing business operations problems with a "Just turn it over to the Lord," attitude, or outright hostility at being told where things need to improve. Comments on how to improve things disappear into the leadership void.

It pains me to say, because the mission of IJM is so important, but my overall experience with IJM was very negative.

Advice to Management

Slow down your Advancement and Field operations long enough for them to develop reliable, consistently managed programs. Stop living project-to-project and demanding unrealistic timelines. Only then will Business operations be able to provide the proper support that IJM needs to thrive in the next several years. Senior management who do not deal with business operations nor have experience with innovative business practices badly need to increase their awareness of the role of proper business operations.
    Slow down long enough to reflect, analyze and learn.

"Cost of Living in DC is a Challenge"

Former Employee - Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at International Justice Mission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IJM is a unique organization that is accomplishing amazing things in the world by the grace of God. IJM's success and its powerful vision and mission attract diligent, kind people who care for the poor and are willing to work long hours to help improve the lives of people across that world that they have never met.

Cons

At the same time, it can be easy to care about people that we've never met, and hard to care for people we see daily. There is a danger that some IJM staff can begin to rely on their own strength and achievements rather than trust in God, which can lead to pride and a disregard for colleagues who are at a lower rank or perceived as less important. There is also a huge wage gap that leaves lower-ranking employees barely able to afford rent and stigmatized so it's difficult for them to be promoted in the organization.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that all glory belongs to God and it is a privilege to have the opportunity to join in his work of caring for the poor. As you care for the least of these across the world, open your eyes to the needs of your own staff who are not able to afford housing in the costly DC area. Make adjustments accordingly, such as acknowledging talent and increasing salaries, subsidizing housing or perhaps even moving HQ to another city with a lower cost of living.

4. "Program Manager"

I worked at International Justice Mission full-time

Pros

Mission oriented, purposeful work, and great benefits.

Cons

Lacks diversity in leadership. No clear career track once you've been hired.

"Overall, it was a rich experience"

I worked at International Justice Mission full-time

Pros

The community provided by staff is amazing. This is a hard-working and kind bunch of employees. Benefits are strong, and pay is relatively competitive (although non-profit pay in the DC area is always a little tough to make ends meet)

Cons

The culture was a little TOO strong, and leadership seemed to be unwilling to let go of some of the parts that made it unhealthy. As I left, the tide seemed to be moving towards using people as a means to an end, rather than truly valuing individuals. While peers were amazing, some of the leadership didn't want any diversity of thought.

Advice to Management

Listen to people with expertise, both inside and outside the organization. When you disagree with feedback, don't chalk it up to "well, they just don't understand IJM." Instead, try to hear the truth and opportunity for improvement in the feedback.

6. "Assistant"

I worked at International Justice Mission part-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and wonderful mission

Cons

Lots of overworked employees

7. "The best and hardest thing you'll ever do."

Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Nothing beats how rewarding it is to know that, regardless of your department, you may be part of rescuing someone from slavery that day.

Cons

It takes an incredible toll on you to constantly be reminded of how broken the world is and how greatly people are suffering.

Advice to Management

We have excellent leadership at IJM.

"Great place to work for a few years"

I worked at International Justice Mission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, wonderful mission. Work at IJM is exciting, management is sharp, passionate, and fun.

Cons

It's difficult to build a career at IJM. Advancement happens for some but you have to make your own path.

Advice to Management

Find ways to retain and reward employees who have been there a while - give the veterans a reason to stay.

9. "Results Driven Human Rights Organization"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Justice Mission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at IJM means that every day you can leave work knowing that you made a tangible difference in the world. You are privileged to work with like-minded colleagues who care about the mission, our clients and each other. IJM also trusts its employees to do their work and make business decisions based on data and results. The culture at IJM is encouraging and caring.

Cons

Because of the type of employee at IJM attracts and the compelling mission we are undertaking, it can lead to periods of high work volume. In my experience, when you have a conversation about work/life balance with your manager it is well received and steps are taken to mitigate it, but there is a cultural push to strive that needs to be fought against.

Advice to Management

The changes made in the past couple of years have been positive, and IJM continues to be a rewarding, fun and challenging place to work. As more change continues to come, having an internal communications staff and rhythm of internal communications would go along way towards having positive change management (instead of learning of things through the grapevine).

"Inspiring & Learning to Innovate"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The same things that attracted me to work at IJM are still true every day: the vision is inspiring, the accomplishments are rewarding, the colleagues are hilarious and brilliant, and the other benefits (pay, spiritual formation, community) are fantastic.

Even on the days when my job can feel tedious or frustrating, we get to see the real impact of our work: children and families are rescued from slavery and violence, and we're creating massive change to better protect the poor long-term. I've gotten great experience as a young professional to grow and develop.

Cons

IJM has gone through a lot of growing pains over the last few years as we transition from a small organization to a medium one. It's meant a lot of shifting priorities and structures, which has felt very painful at times. Within the last year, though, leaders have done an intentional job of communicating clearly and helping manage change to keep us on track.

In the day-to-day, I think we struggle with many of the same challenges of other non-profits: keeping things lean enough to be cost-effective while not having enough staff and resources to always innovate the ways we'd like. Our work in the field is very cutting edge, but we're still learning how to do that in our U.S. office and it can feel frustrating for some people coming from resource-rich corporate backgrounds.