International Monetary Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
International Monetary Systems CEO John E. Strabley
John E. Strabley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Efforts Equal Rewards"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at International Monetary Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family/life balance, diverse activities daily, personal satisfaction of knowing you are helping businesses to grow.

Cons

For someone that wants to just earn a paycheck, this job will not sustain you. You will only gain rewards by working hard to help the members in your base find creative ways to grow their business.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and be open to growing with them to build the business together.

2. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in New Berlin, WI

I worked at International Monetary Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High employee turnover creates advancement opportunities. Decent short term gig if you are looking for an easy interview and a quick start. You will make above minimum wage and with ease can bs human resources, taking short times off "interviewing schedule for a real job"

Cons

Core Group which heads departments and overlaps on responsibilities, i.e. Human Resources will be handing out leads (crazy) and the CRM system is antiquated. Leads are recycled, duplicated and not in the least market qualified. Just not a modern sales entity in a dying market. Company and Marketplace is shrinking fast. Cold environment. People here today, gone tomorrow.

Advice to Management

Introduce yourself to a professional CRM, use Analytics, research Prospects (dumping an internet phone book on a sales rep doesnt work), simplify propositional value and ditch the ever silly competition between inside and outside sales. Company has workforce protecting job vs working together.

3. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Broker in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Broker in Columbus, OH

I worked at International Monetary Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that can be mentioned. Trade shows are fun but that's about it. Would not recommend at this time. Search elsewhere

Cons

Everything about it from the micro management to lack of respect. Would not recommend to anyone. Management has no desire for employee growth

Advice to Management

None

International Monetary Systems Response

May 5, 2017 – HR

IMS does appreciate feedback and feel our culture is continually adapting to the changing dynamic of the workforce. Brokers at IMS do have guidelines and expectations placed upon them as do employees... More

4. "Broker"

Former Employee - Broker in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Broker in Niles, IL

I worked at International Monetary Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The daily routine is different, which is good. I enjoy working with members from different walks of life.

Cons

Like with all companies, there were times things didn't go my way. I made sure I went in and talked when problems arose.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Sales Support"

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Delaware, OH

I worked at International Monetary Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Not too much room for growth.

Advice to Management

Company should be more apt to expand.

6. "Good Culture"

Current Employee - Trade Broker in New Berlin, WI
    Current Employee - Trade Broker in New Berlin, WI

I have been working at International Monetary Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company culture, enjoyable co-workers.

Cons

Few improvements needed but they are being worked on.

Advice to Management

Management is interested in the welfare of its employees, and I believe this to be true on a professional and personal level.

7. "Broker"

Pros

Trade dollars available for staff

Cons

Pay is extremely low. Expectations are high with low pay.

Advice to Management

Pay better wages

8. "Six month job. Once the insurance kicks in, you're gone! Just ask the customers"

Former Employee - Broker in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Broker in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at International Monetary Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

None at all. If you only want a temporary job for six months, then this is the job for you. Otherwise, keep looking. Don't waste six months of your life you will never get back. Run to a better opportunity.

Cons

No dental, vision and no 401k contributions. Your so called commissions are paid with trade money. You can only spend it at IMS or their customers. You have to go to court and fight their cases. Your car, your mileage, no reimbursement. Also, if you find mistakes that management made, you're gone too.

Advice to Management

Be truthful to your employees. Stop letting employees go just because you don't want to pay for their benefits. Pay your sales team real commission (cash, not trade).

International Monetary Systems Response

Nov 4, 2016 – HR

We appreciate feedback from both current and former employees; however, when incomplete or inaccurate information is given in an anonymous review, we feel a response is sometimes necessary.

While... More

"Sales Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Berlin, WI

I have been working at International Monetary Systems full-time

Pros

This company has a great working environment. The co workers are great. The hours are very flexible for someone with a family. You are not required to come in to office on weekends at all. The additional add on trade benefits for Health Care with the dental and eye care are very helpful. The PTO time for the employee’s the first two years is very progressive compared to many others in the area.

Cons

I would like to see a little more progressive 401 K Plan to build for retirement.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employee’s involved in finding new ways to keep the staff motivated. It is nice to see that is becoming more of the norm at IMS this year.

10. "The New York Yankees of the Industry"

Current Employee - California Regional Manager in Rohnert Park, CA
    Current Employee - California Regional Manager in Rohnert Park, CA

Pros

I wake up each day knowing that I’ve got an opportunity to impact the lives of the local community. We put braces on kids who otherwise couldn’t afford it. Our clients take vacations that on a cash basis wouldn’t be viable. Our members invest in advertising and employee benefits that wouldn’t happen on a cash basis. The walk-in pantry in my kitchen…built on barter. We improve the lives of our clients and I could cite a thousand examples. IMS is the premier barter organization in the United States by a lot. Aside from the brokers and sales reps, our legal, HR, accounting, and IT departments are comprised of exceptional people. The benefits are very good: cash bonuses, PTO, wellness program, 401K and medical.

Cons

While public awareness of barter companies has increased over the past twenty years, we’re still a very small part of the economy and of our clients overall business. It takes a smart and dedicated person at least six months to get up to speed and learn the nuances of trade. Frankly, some people don’t want to work this hard. The money is there, but it does take a little time.

Advice to Management

Don't abandon the principles that got us here and continue to lead this industry. Build around our most loyal and brightest employees and don't let them go.