International Relief and Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Arthur Keys

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Getting back with flair"

I worked at International Relief and Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IRD sued USAID and won. New management removed quite a bit of deadwood. Leaner org, new name in the works, revenue is up, teams are starting to step up and take reigns of the transition well. An amazing concentration of talented and hardworking people at Senior, middle management and junior levels. New control systems are definitely above industry standards.

Cons

Requires more people with international development experience at the Executive level. Roger Ervin, the new CEO is dynamic and clean. But he needs to get more people who understands international development in his inner circle.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to some of your Senior staff who are competent and experienced in international development. Work on boosting morale of the employees. They have been through hell and back to help the organization and you succeed. While the real leaders have been promoted, work on the softer side of motivation. Engage them in policy making.

2. "Great Organization - Great mission"

I worked at International Relief and Development part-time

Pros

Nice staff, very friendly atmosphere

Cons

There were none during my assignment.

"an internationally recognised company"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at International Relief and Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

very organised and interesting workplace, great colleagues, working communication with coleagues, clients and management is in a very friendly manner making it a perfect place to work,

Cons

it is very difficult to find a downside in this organisation, and I need to take some considerable amount of time and be very creative to find some con,

Advice to Management

the best advice I can give, is to keep it like it already is, because the company has shown a very good worldwide reputation in management, having many branches in each continent througout the world

"Tremendous people to work with--don't believe the bad press!"

I worked at International Relief and Development full-time

Pros

The best part of IRD is the people, plain and simple. IRD is an underdog now after a bogus USAID suspension that was ruled illegal and void ab initio by a federal judge, but it is on the way back.

Cons

Morale was low during the suspension, and it was hard seeing so many life-saving programs cut short by USAID for no reason. Many staff had to be laid off or left to more stable opportunities.

5. "proposal recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at International Relief and Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mission driven, meaningful work, smart coworkers from diverse cultures and backgrounds

Cons

Nepotism was a big challenge but since the removal of the CEO and his family members, I presume it is much better.

"HR DIRECTOR REVIEW"

Current Employee - Director of Human Resource in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Human Resource in Arlington, VA

I have been working at International Relief and Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with IRD for five months now. We've added a number of new executives, and the level of teamwork and commitment among the staff and the field is increasing at a tremendous rate. I see employee engagement on the rise, and the level of commitment by employees to the new vision of the organization is reflected in the outstanding performance of the entire team.

Cons

As always happens in times of cultural change and the establishment of a new vision, communication is the greatest challenge. It will take clearly in the HR area, I must do a better job communicating with everyone in the organization, and I know my counterparts feel the same way in their respective areas.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the new changes and stay the course. Our vision is sound, the mission truly worthy of our efforts, and the new technology and processes we are bringing into the organization will posture our teams to execute effectively.

7. "Could be better"

Pros

Most of the Staff working is nice to each other and qualified. The team spirit is present on the mid level

Cons

You feel like there is no appreciation from high level management and some of the good ideas that you want to add to improve are not taken into consideration

Advice to Management

Get ideas and opinions from your staff. Make it two way management

8. "Great Staff, Terrible Management"

Pros

Great staff, technical knowledge, and benefits

Cons

Senior management that promoted family and friends ahead of anyone else. No oversight.

9. "Avoid if you can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at International Relief and Development (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, other than that, no.

Cons

Company has not able to generate any revenue since 2014. All the manage team has been changed, which turns out even worst. Company made promise never delivery and show zero appreciation for your work. Do Not Join.

"Potential for greatness is there"

I worked at International Relief and Development full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IRD has a fabulous mission with dedicated professionals who truly want to help the world's most vulnerable populations.

Cons

Organization is transitioning now from a founder-led company to a new President & CEO. There are some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Spend less time on proposal development and more time on implementation. There should be a balance of the two.