International Republican Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Green

1. "Great place to work doing valuable work"

Former Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work here are serious, committed, smart and fun to work with. The work remains some of the most interesting out there for those interested in democracy and governance, with some really innovative and novel programming across the globe. The work culture is pretty informal and collaborative. There are a number of reforms undertaken to improve the running and effectiveness of the organization that have really transformed the place into more of a learning organization and in many ways IRI is ahead of its competitors in this respect. Its a great place to learn and share your experience and expertise doing some really valuable, mission-driven work around the world.The benefits are also some of the best in the non-profit sector.

Cons

There remains the same levels of bureaucracy as at many non-profits but still there could be improvements in making processes more efficient and accessible. Managing knowledge still remains a challenge as people move between and out of positions. There are of course remain some folks who are more interested in control than empowerment at the middle management level. Figuring out ways to incentivize team members to reward many of the efforts that are often not included in formal reviews, such as the Institute's Communities of Practice, also remains an area of weakness.

Advice to Management

Continue reforms to improve the functioning of the institute and continue to reward folks who are really adding value to the work that is done.

2. "Administrator"

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time

Pros

worthy international mission and interesting work

Cons

no company is perfect, perhaps a bit old-fashioned management

3. "Good internship with minimum wage"

Pros

Interesting people doing good work worldwide.

Cons

Very tedious work, mostly contract support. Very mundane.

"Missed Potential"

Former Employee - Senior Program Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Program Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really passionate, incredibly motivated and talented people that work at IRI. I was constantly impressed by the ideas and dedication exhibited by some of my colleagues there. I was also given incredible access to high level political leaders from around the globe, decision makers in Washington, DC and leading intellectuals in development and politics. Because the whole place is wildly understaffed, I could take initiative and was able to get experience in areas that would have been off limits to me anywhere else. The trial-by-fire methodology (or culture?) that exists here makes sure that you will learn a lot in a little time.

Cons

Extremely political - skirting (and often crossing) the boundaries of their 501c3 obligations. Constant in-fighting within organizational leadership and front office that trickles down to lower level employees.Makes for an extremely awkward working environment. Lower level and mid-level employees are often burdened with unreasonable work expectations due to extremely poor management (or complete lack thereof) from often incompetent divisional leadership. Those who run divisions seem to be there simply from having stuck with the organization for a couple of decades, not having to prove themselves anywhere else. Nobody here - in a leadership position - understands basic project management. They are still stuck in a 1980's political party/buddy-buddy mentality that the development world moved away from 20 years ago. Leadership often pushes the envelope on corruption by wasting tons of US and Canadian taxpayer money on lavish, unnecessary travel to the detriment of any practical programming. The pay is also a joke - I was paid 40% below my market value here after a promotion and "salary realignment." The benefits no longer make up for this substantial gap - a meagre metro credit doesn't equal hard cash! HR is completely hands off and is forced to do rather unethical things by front office leadership. It is no surprise that turnover in the junior staff here is off the charts - especially at the 2 year mark. Also, there is absolutely NO on-boarding or structured training at this place. If you don't have a colleague to take you under their wing for three months - good luck!

Advice to Management

The board needs to do a total reset - Fire Mark Green and the entire front office lot. Then replace with a manager who understands development and isn't constantly vying for his/her next political placement. A good shakeup of divisional leadership is absolutely necessary - get rid of those who cannot manage appropriately and those who head failing programs. Empower lower and mid-level staff to take initiative and improve processes for efficiency. Increase internal communication greatly and break down the cold war era walls that still pervade this place. Also - hire ENOUGH STAFF to adequately run programming and increase the quality of the programming produced.

Dec 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback—we appreciate the input of both current and former members of staff. We, too, believe that our team of more than 400 people around the world are passionate, motivated and ... More

"IRI IT ROCKS"

Former Employee - Help Desk Level I in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Help Desk Level I in Washington, DC

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shawn (Director of IT) is perhaps one of the best bosses I have ever had. The truly cares about developing his workers and providing them with exciting opportunities in a meaningful environment. The job is challenging but the rewards, the pay and the benefits are outstanding. If you like international affairs but love tech this is a great job.

Cons

As wtih any IT position can be frustrating when you have to deal with hacks etc. But the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide growth opportunities to the junior staff!

7. "IRI - Information Technology (IT)"

Former Employee - IT Help Desk Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Help Desk Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Having worked for Shawn and Geoff for 4 years in IRI's IT department, I can unhesitatingly say that they are the best type of managers and leaders you can ask for. There is a big difference between a manager and a LEADER (Shawn taught me that). These gentlemen are not only committed to the success of IRI, but to the success of each individual under their wing. These are leaders who CARE and have an interest in unlocking the potential of their employees.

I see several reviews on Glassdoor regarding the organization and I simply did not have that kind of experience. I believe it is because IRI IT's leadership are great at shielding their team from political/organizational issues, enabling them to focus on what the IT team is passionate about- technology and great customer service.

Cons

Commuting to Washington DC is not fun.

Advice to Management

Continue striving to provide excellent technology solutions and customer service to IRI, as you have been doing!

8. "IT Internship"

Former Employee - IT Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Shawn, the CIO of the company runs a great shop. The team he assembled is very knowledgeable and have built an environment that is conducive to learning. Coming in as someone with little background in the information technology field, this was extremely helpful. Although it was difficult at times like all roles, the team and management made working at IRI very rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Wish the internship was longer, was absorbing a lot of information and felt like it was cut short. But took back a plethora of knowledge to school the following semester.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up the positive, upbeat atmosphere.

9. "Intern Experience"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship was paid and the location was convenient since it was near a metro stop.

Cons

Interns would watch netflix all day. We did not get enough experience. Everyday we would have to manage the front desk and telephone system. Overall, if you stay there for enough time they will eventually hire you.

Dec 21, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your internship was not a rewarding experience. If you could please provide some specific feedback to human resources, we would ... More

10. "Program Officer"

Former Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at International Republican Institute (More than a year)

Pros

rewarding and fulfilling mission, excellent camaraderie among program staff. Kimber Shearer, Tom Garrett, and Dan Fisk are the only executives that have a clue on how to run the institute.

Cons

deep and never ending bureaucracy, leadership unwilling to take risks or change in any capacity. Lack of divisional strategy, limited professional development opportunities, and over extension of program staff. The communications team also leaves something to be desired when crafting communication strategies for program overseas.

Advice to Management

Step into the 21st century. Invest in digital media for programs, listen to program staff, take risks in programming, make the tough but needed divisional leadership changes, and actually come through on the principles that make up this newly developed IRI Culture.

Dec 27, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback—we appreciate the input of both current and former members of staff. We are glad to hear of your camaraderie with program staff and your belief in our important mission ... More

11. "Good for entry level jobs."

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time

Pros

Young, energetic colleagues and atmosphere.

Cons

Long-term employees lack opportunities to advance.