International Republican Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 23, 2019

Found 64 reviews

3.6
Mark Green
Pros
  • "Travel: Even Program Associates typically have the opportunity to travel once or twice a year(in 7 reviews)

• "some of great people and most hardworking(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior staff: there is a serious lack of communication and trust between(in 4 reviews)

• "Truly, I can not stress this enough, a terrible work environment(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great environment, dedicated co-workers, and surprisingly high research autonomy."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

First serving as a research intern and then being retained as a research assistant, I was surprised by the breadth of research projects that I am able to pursue with a great deal of autonomy. IRI encourages innovative projects and supports dynamic research. The cooperative environment at IRI supports this greatly. As an organization, IRI is highly innovative and is current management strive to make an impact in the countries...

Cons

The tea and coffee selections could be improved. No real negatives at this point.

International Republican Institute2019-02-01
  2. "Vindictive micromanagement"

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

IRI has a good mission and local staff doing the work in countries abroad are amazing. Junior staff band together to survive (pro and con I guess), you get to travel a lot

Cons

Truly the worst environment I have ever been a part of generally speaking - whether it be academic, social, or professional. Management is vindictive and micro managers get away with anything. My bosses were true bullies. The work experience varies greatly across division. For an organization that has been around for 30+ years, they do not have streamlined and systematic program management processes. I liked he mission,...

Advice to Management

Invest in managers and directors that know how to manage and supervise people! Technical skills can be learned, but at the base level managers need to be good managers of people.

International Republican Institute2019-05-23
  3. "Lucky to be Part of IRI"

Current Employee - Deputy Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Are the hours long? Yes. Do the days sometimes blend together because you are overseas and are getting little to no sleep? Yes. Do you want to scream because you can not figure out why your reconciliation keeps getting rejected? At least once a month. Is it worth it? Yes. Every second of it is worth it. The work IRI does is topnotch. At times we forget how important it is because we get bogged down...

Cons

If you do not want to put in 9 to10 hour days on a consistent basis, this place is not for you.

International Republican Institute2019-05-03
  4. "Fast past environment for committed political and democracy nerds"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for idealists looking to contribute to accountable democratic governance and empowerment of marginalized groups while learning or honing program management skills in an international setting.

Cons

Nine-to-five-rs will not thrive here. IRI leans on lean teams to deliver high impact work. Life/work balance tilts toward work.

Advice to Management

Know/be mindful of the workload on mid-level/junior staff

International Republican Institute2019-03-10
  5. "Great place for learning and exposure"

Former Employee - Program Associate

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for travel and exposure to some great and pressing topics

Cons

High intensity job with limited communication from leadership and difficulty for advancement. And salary.

International Republican Institute2019-02-21
  6. "Getting Better Every Day"

I worked at International Republican Institute full-time

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, youthful working environment, excellent place to learn the field.

Cons

If you are not a Republican you may find the tendency to use Republican party trainers and recruit from old boy networks frustrating. This is also getting better however.

International Republican Institute2019-01-02
  7. "Program Manager"

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time

Pros

Lots of travel opportunities and flexibility to explore unconventional programming ideas; increased attention on promoting flex-time and teleworking

Cons

Depending on division, limited upward mobility beyond middle management

International Republican Institute2018-12-17
  8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Tons of travel, room for growth, welcoming diverse work environment, probably the most fun working I've ever had, despite the difficulty of the job.

Cons

Even after the review of salary bands I believe I am under valued and disappointed with the compensation regulations.

Advice to Management

I cant live on my salary and I have to work an additional part time job to pay my bills, this prevents me from dedicating my self to the full needs of the company and its the only reason I consider leaving, otherwise it is a great firm.

International Republican Institute2018-10-12
  9. "Great entry level job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Quick way to learn a lot of valuable skills and gain experience in international development.

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times.

International Republican Institute2018-10-02
  10. "disrespectful atmosphere"

I have been working at International Republican Institute full-time

Pros

some of great people and most hardworking

Cons

some demeaning and disrespectful people and not very helpful

International Republican Institute2018-09-13