Cover image for International Rescue Committee
Logo

Is this your company?

Add a Review

International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews about "learned a lot"

Updated Nov 8, 2021

David Miliband

What people are saying about International Rescue Committee

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about International Rescue Committee? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with International Rescue Committee employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay offered and few benefits(in 57 reviews)
  • "Poor management, overworked caseworkers do not have time to properly train their interns(in 42 reviews)
  • "Salary is low but encouraging(in 34 reviews)
  • "The only downside is that it's an unpaid internship and it caters more to privileged individuals who can afford an unpaid internship.(in 32 reviews)
  • "long hours even though it is an internship (depending on office and who you are working for)(in 18 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of International Rescue Committee and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "learned a lot"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Case Work intern review

May 16, 2016 - Case Work in Silver Spring, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule Lots of opportunities to interact with clients and develop language skills Case workers are wonderful people Reimburse you for transporting clients Get outside of the office fairly often

Cons

Very stressful but that is the nature of the work Most positions are unpaid Very understaffed High turnover rate Upper management might as well be nonexistent

2. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

great experience

Aug 13, 2020 - Safety and Wellness Unit in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This organization does amazing work, and I loved everyone that I directly worked with. I learned a lot about the asylum process and the social/legal needs of those navigating it.

Cons

It was kind of disorganized, there were many days when I wasn't given an assignment and didn't know what I should be doing.

3. Join the International Rescue Committee team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

great organization , very kind full , professional staff

Dec 14, 2017 - Interpreter in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

be part of this great team and be able to help refugees and meet a lot of cultures

Cons

there is really nothing to say

5. 3.0

Intern Refugee Resettlement

Nov 23, 2015 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

-learn a lot about the process refugees have to go through upon arrival to the US -exposed to many cultures and practices -help those who have no idea how to navigate the US bureaucratic system

Cons

-long hours even though it is an internship (depending on office and who you are working for) -a lot of driving around and waiting (at Social Security, DHS , Health Clinic, and other places)

6. 5.0

n/a

Jan 25, 2021 - Economic Empowerment Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to gain a lot of hands on experience and was given valuable responsibilities as an intern.

Cons

COVID made the experience slightly different being completely online.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Nice organization to work at; has a purpose and a vision

May 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Irbid
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can learn a lot by working here; and you would get to serve those in most need. I have enjoyed my 8 years working here

Cons

The organization grew a lot in the past years but its systems has not kept up with the growth scale. This is felt by the workload there, as systems are not yet fit for purpose

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing work experience. Poor management and work/life balance.

Oct 11, 2019 - Caseworker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great population to work with. Most of the employees are highly dedicated. You are given a lot of opportunities to create programming to address needs of the clients as they arise. If you can be a caseworker here you will be able to do any job in the social service industry.

Cons

High turnover due to poor management causes them to lose their best employees. It is an attractive place to work so they attract talented workers, however they burnout rate is high and they move on quickly. You are only allowed to work 37.5 hours, and that is not enough time to complete all your work. Overtime pay is rarely given. The culture that has been created by management is you are expected to work overtime to complete all your work without receiving pay.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0

Internship Experience

Mar 5, 2014 - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed my coworkers and was immediately getting hands on experience. I learned a lot and was able to see many different aspects of the domestic resettlement program. Within a week I felt like I was a contributing member of the team.

Cons

There was no structure to the internship, no beginning, middle and end and no clear expectations of what I, as the intern, was supposed to get out of the experience. It was also clear to me that the organization would be unable to function without interns and I found that morally questionable. By the end of my time at the IRC I was functioning at the level of a part-time staff member, without getting paid. While I didn't mind because at the time I felt I was getting such valuable experience and also really enjoyed what I was doing, looking back I wonder if I was being taken advantage of.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Intern

Apr 1, 2015 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great organization, that really has an impact on refugees lives. As an intern, I learned a lot. I was really challenged and my supervisor gave me a lot of responsibilities (which I appreciated). Met some great people and really enjoyed working with refugees.

Cons

I wish interns were reimbursed, especially when diving clients.

11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Coworkers, Okay Benefits, Average Turnover 2 years

Jun 27, 2022 - Employment Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Committed, dedicated people compared to other resettlement organizations. Upper manager is available, but your experience depends a lot on your immediate supervisor. Made a lot of friends with dedicated people who are talented and want to help people

Cons

Low starting pay ($17), benefits okay for new graduates but insufficient for those with families. Some people may experience conflict with coworkers. Can be gossipy or distracting depending on who is currently working on your team. Entry level workers on average stay about 2 years.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 93 Reviews