International SOS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
International SOS Chairman and CEO Arnaud Vaissié
Arnaud Vaissié

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Venture into a new working environment and scope of practice (in 28 reviews)

• Great people (colleagues and management), fantastic spirit driven by a contagious passion (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Management has a unrealistic view of what work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Senior management team is stuck in the middle ages with old school knee jerk strategies (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Diverse, Engaging and Never a dull moment"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at International SOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at International SOS for just over 6 months and I expected the novelty to have worn off however it hasn't, each day I go in I have a new challenge and an opportunity to learn something new. It's cultural diverse and the people I work with are brilliant in support me and having the same purpose.

Cons

Would like to see more inter-department working

Advice to Management

Keep having open doors, we need to learn from people who have been where we are

"Senior Manager"

I have been working at International SOS full-time

Pros

Passionate people that care about our clients
    Truly global
    Opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Broken internal systems and processes

Advice to Management

More Investment in Innovation

3. "International Operations Coordinator"

Former Employee - International Operations Coordinator in Trevose, PA

I worked at International SOS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does amazing work and the job can be very fulfilling. The benefits and insurance plan are excellent. They like to promote people from within, so there are opportunities for advancement. However, it usually takes a few years of working in the assistance center before transferring is possible. The company is willing to take people with little or no work experience and train them. There is almost always overtime available, so you have the option to make much more than the base salary you are given.

Cons

The work environment is very stressful. It seems that there are never enough people staffed for a shift, so the phone is always ringing and everyone has a high case load. You have to be very accomplished at multi-tasking to do the job. The schedule is also very irregular, and the 13 hour shifts are exhausting. Everyone does their rotation on nights and weekends, so it is hard to maintain a normal social life. There is a very high turnover rate within the assistance center; most people burn out quickly in this role.

4. "Coordinating Nurse"

I have been working at International SOS full-time

Pros

Not in the hospital. Does not have hands on contact with patients. Pay is good for location.

Cons

Can be unprofessional. Things are always changing. The work can get boring. High turnover of nursing staff. Things promised are not always given. No a advancement opportunities for the nurses.

Advice to Management

Get it together or your nurses will keep leaving.

"Management does not have a clue"

Former Employee - Deskside Support Technician in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Deskside Support Technician in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I worked at International SOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company does amazing things all over the world for people in need

Cons

IT management from the top down, especially in the America's region, are useless. Outdated technology being used. Still using office 2010 and Windows 7

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about your bonus money and actually try to care about the employees running your company.

"Great purpose, terrible management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trevose, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trevose, PA

I have been working at International SOS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (insurance, company membership)
    Good locations with easily accessed roads

Cons

Diversity ends at a certain management level. Higher management consists mostly of white, non-American, men. Every now and then there is favoritism towards a few women who in turn get promoted; many of which are white and/or non-American also.
    The pay is decent at higher management level but the cost of living seems to be overlooked when it comes to any other position.
    Your level of education rarely matters.
    Re-structuring happens very often and I don't know anyone that has not worried about job security at some point. Sometimes re-structuring means changing titles, which doesn't always impact one's resume positively, but allows them to justify paying you less.
    Certain departments have high turnover rates but this doesn't seem to matter to executive at the corporate level, since they allow directors whose departments continuously don't do their job well or fail audits, to lead for years. How many years and employees leaving is it going to take for them to realize management may just be the issue? Who knows!
    Human Resources..........just a mess. Not supportive, hard to get a hold of and often fail at the basics of HR.
    Raises are not merit-based, but every year the work just keeps on piling up. The average raise is usually between 1-3%.....if there is a budget. You are lucky if you get a bonus.
    For a company that relies on technology so much, the systems are slow and outdated.
    Paid time off policy changes every so often and they do not give enough hours for the amount of time people put into work.
    Most managers are extremely cheap with their department budget and do not invest in their development.
    The student reimbursement for undergraduate and graduate degrees is the absolute bare minimum. (Enough for them to write it off on their taxes).
    Most jobs, even when they are posted (for HR reasons), already have a name on them.
    A ton of emphasis on numbers and micromanaging and not enough on people.
    Operations managers are often condescending (verbal and written) and not easy to approach.

Advice to Management

If you want to see better results, the change must happen at the top. Work on your company culture!
    Take note of the positive qualities in those companies that are constantly awarded "Best Place to Work".
    Promote diversity among higher management, not just entry-level positions.
    Allow Americans to grow too. Talent doesn't only come from France, Australia and the UK. Talent and hard work also come in female form.
    Invest in your employees' education!
    Re-structure some of your directors and you may actually see changes in output.
    HR either needs more people, or employees with better experience.

"#misleading Don't do it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at International SOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

5 weeks of training is the only pro

Cons

It's not $31,000 yearly.
    You will be assigned the shift they want; not the one you need. After the first week you will not be able to find someone in charge to help you. You are never given enough time to work on your customer's requests to be able to reply to them in a timely matter. The bonus is another misleading "benefit" They will everything possible for you not to be able to qualify for the bonuses. I can go on, and on, Do not apply. You will regret it.b

Advice to Management

Get retrained. Answer our questions. Treat us equally.

8. "Good company but!!!!!!"

I have been working at International SOS full-time

Pros

Doing good things for the clients

Cons

Not great for African Americans

Advice to Management

Get out of the good ole boy network

9. "International Operations Coordinator"

Former Employee - International Operations Coordinator in Trevose, PA

I worked at International SOS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people doing amazing things. A Global team supporting clients and their business travelers when traveling outside of their home country.

Cons

24/7 operating environment which doesn’t suit everyone!

Advice to Management

Work on improving your scheduling process - I hear it’s coming so I hope that is true!

"Current update"

I have been working at International SOS full-time

Pros

Great Global Exposure. The work the company does matter. They actually save life and help family with getting a love one home sooner.

Cons

Company continue to cut staff; however, no systems improvement or process improve to help with the work load. Management has a unrealistic view of what work life balance.

Advice to Management

Remember, when cutting staff what is being removed from the work load. What systems or efficiency are we doing to make this happen properly