International SOS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
International SOS Chairman and CEO Arnaud Vaissié
Arnaud Vaissié

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Venture into a new working environment and scope of practice" (in 30 reviews)

• "It provides a good work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "You need to be pretty firm to ensure a work life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "Senior management team is stuck in the middle ages with old school knee jerk strategies" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Human Resource Director"

I have been working at International SOS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Definitely a global organization with a clear mission to help others with a diverse working environment. They offer career advancement as well as individual growth. A company you can say you are proud to work for.

Cons

As with a lot of organizations, investing in technology and critical roles within the organization has been delayed but the current focus shows a strategic investment and understanding of this.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your staff and teams.

2. "Provides great products, services but in a state of constant flux"

I worked at International SOS full-time

Pros

Provides great products, services, fascinating clients across all verticals, remote work for sales people

Cons

Seems like they are always in a constant state of making personnel change, they fire top producing sales people after long tenures, then fire the VP's that hired them.

Advice to Management

Would you like to be treated the way you treat sales reps? Cut the spin and fabricated reasons for doing so, you lose people who love what they do and do it well but you come up with weak excuses to let them go and then ry to repalce their top sales production.

3. "mixed bag, like many companies"

I have been working at International SOS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The general mission of international SOS is something one can be proud of to contribute to. The people you work with are generally good and nice to work with, and there are interesting transformation projects to work on

Cons

Too many legacy processes and systems, too many things to do, not enough ressources to achieve the needed transformation in the required time.

4. "Excellent place to build experience"

I worked at International SOS full-time

Pros

Intensive work, dynamic environment, upward movement opportunities

Cons

Schedule, difficult work subject matter, emotionally draining

"In-the-Box"

Former Employee - Manager in Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Trevose, PA

I worked at International SOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some very nice and hardworking staff. Free coffee.

Cons

Very narrow minded thinking. Extremely duplicative with respect to processes. Antiquated and archaic ways to treat employees. Expect employees to pay for all travel expenses except flight up front and then apply for reimbursement. The cost is excessive if traveling for a week or so and really a backwards way of thinking for such a large company. Do not want to learn new ways to do business. Unable to quickly adapt. Conducts most business with foreign governments so they can abuse foreign national employees. Want most employees to work for 1 year before they are allowed to take vacation. Some very pompous staff that are unprofessional and cannot think collaboratively. Some staff don’t have a clue how to work on US government contracts.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and mind.

"Just glad to be gone"

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Trevose, PA

I worked at International SOS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

International SOS is by far the worst employment experience I have had in my career. Since this was rock bottom, I anticipate that things can only go up from here.

Cons

The majority of the Americas’ “Leadership Team” sits in the Jersey City office overlooking the NYC skyline. They are physically removed from the day to day happenings in the Trevose Office as well as the drab conditions such as torn carpet, filthy bathrooms, leaking ceilings, and broken furniture. It is obvious that this “leadership team” is not being held accountable for any of the company’s problems such as poor financial performance year after year, high staff turnover rates, and low levels of employee morale. Frankly, why would they want to exert any effort to make improvements when their situations with the company are quite comfortable and require minimal contributions on their part. The “leadership team” is very reactive in how it approaches “managing” the company. Problems arise or some negative comment on Glassdoor piques their interest and that becomes the focus for a month or so and then it is onto the next thing that bubbles up. At the end of the day, the cycle continues and the core issues are never resolved.

For me, the time I spent at International SOS was a waste and I consider it a blip on my resume. The company is so far behind in the technology it uses and there is no support from leadership (financial or otherwise) to modernize and streamline the company’s archaic systems. It makes everything inefficient and you spend too much time spinning your wheels instead of getting the work done. My department tended to hire people who had potential instead of possessing the actual knowledge to do the job. With workloads already being so heavy and morale so low, this just further aggravated those who were already overburdened with the nonsense that went on at International SOS. My annual merit increases were nothing more than cost of living increases and my bonus amounted to less than 50% of the target bonus percentage all due to what I am told was company financial performance. After repeatedly being let down by the company, I was relieved to just cut ties and start a new opportunity. Only wish I would have done it sooner.

The values- Care, Respect, Expertise, and Passion- are just posters in the elevator lobby and do not apply to how International SOS treats its employees. Culture is driven by leadership and when leaders do not practice what the company labels as its values, it is impossible to get anyone else in the organization to do so. I was left dumbfounded on numerous occasions by emails that were sent by “senior leaders” because they were unhappy with something and decided to ream out someone over email rather than have a civilized discussion. Management already has unreasonable expectations of its employees and for any employee to have to be subjected to unwarranted temper tantrums by “senior leaders” adds another layer onto the already toxic culture.

The toxicity is just further aggravated by the company’s mentality of nickel and diming employees throughout the duration of their employment as demonstrated by
    o the minimal increases year after year;
    o adding in a company multiplier to the bonus calculations to further reduce employee bonus payouts;
    o adding on surcharges to the medical insurance premium; and
    o taking forever to reimburse you for business expenses you incurred on your personal credit card.

"Could Be Better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I worked at International SOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location close to turnpike and RT1. Free bagels on Friday. Clean office area's they just laid new carpet. Employees willing to help with questions. Hours are great. Friendly people. Not sure about the benefits because I was a contractor like half the people that work there.

Cons

Bad management in certain departments where they care about money instead of taking care of the end users that are affected by there decisions. Too many contractors they should hire on full time. Very minimal chance for advancement. Watch your back there is always someone listing and they will burn you in the end. You don't know who is brown nosing the manger to get ahead. They will release contractors for no reason even if you are doing a good job and you have respect of other employees.

Advice to Management

Employees and Contractors should be treated the same way. The end user is the most important thing (That is why you are there) If someone needs supplies to do there job there should not be a question why just give them what they need within reason. More expensive request like laptops, software, desktops should be paid by the dept asking for it. Management should respond to emails not all managers do this then it get escalated to the users manager to get results. One team member emailed the a manger about the status of her supply request and she never got a response. Certain Managers think they are the king of the hill and you can't talk to them and they know all. You can't have that in a company.

"Operations Coordinator"

I worked at International SOS full-time

Pros

3 day work week/good pay

Cons

Very stressful job with very little managerial support. Chaotic, disorganized with poor business tactics. This goes down as the worst job I’ve ever worked in my life

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings, offer support

"Was a good company with a great culture, but not anymore"

I worked at International SOS full-time

Pros

It was close to home and some good people working there

Cons

Culture changed for the worst and the CFO in Singapore (Nigel Pool) is one of the worst leaders I have ever experienced in my career. He continues to make countless bad decisions and costing the company a lot of money and a lot of frustration and headache for the other teams. Unfortunately he will never be fired, although he should be, immediately. As for his other management friends he scattered across the globe, it would not hurt to remove them as well.

10. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Specialist - Compensation & Benefits in Trevose, PA
    Current Employee - Specialist - Compensation & Benefits in Trevose, PA

I have been working at International SOS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• International SOS offers a comprehensive benefit package. In the Americas there are three levels of coverage to choose from. The Enhanced plan has no deductible and has a 100% co-pay. The other benefits are very competitive as well. The company also offers a wide array of voluntary benefits such as: Legal Insurance, Identity Theft Insurance, Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Pet Insurance, etc.
    • Paid tuition reimbursement policy
    • Extremely generous bereavement policy
    • The culture puts people and care first. Everyone here has a pleasant and positive attitude.
    • Senior management sincerely cares about the employees
    • Smooth recruiting and hiring process
    • Flexible start times for some departments
    • Work from home opportunities for some positions
    • Bagels every Friday and pretzels the last Wednesday of each month
    • Lots of free lunches

Cons

Nothing to add at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!