International Speedway Reviews | Glassdoor

Lesa D. France Kennedy

1. "Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Sales Service Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Service Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company, Great Benefits, Excellent Work Environment

Cons

There were not any negative aspects

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "Don't Value Their Employees, Don't Pay Enough!!"

I worked at International Speedway part-time

Pros

NONE, I have nothing good to say about this company; I wanted so much to love working for such an iconic business but that did not happen.

Cons

I am a very hardworking, honest college educated woman who decided to work for the speedway during the races. I was hired as a low level manager and worked 3 times before I had an issue. We were told if we needed a day off to give a 2 week notice. I gave over a 2 week notice to take off for the Daytona 500. We were never told if we could not work that race we would be fired. Again, only told to give a 2 week notice. After that race, those of us who did not work it were scolded for missing the biggest race of the year. I stopped getting contacted about future races and when I tried rescheduling myself for other races and I never get contacted back. I called and emailed my manager Dan Parsons and I even called his manager several times only to be ignored.

Advice to Management

We are working there only as needed. A lot of us have regular jobs we have to work around. That should be understood. Not everyone is a retiree who can work every race unlimited. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

If you can afford to spend $400 million on a renovation you can afford to pay your employees more. $8-$9/hour, standing on concrete all day for 10-12 hours minimum. That is HORRIBLE!!!

3. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free lunch on select days

Cons

the pay could be better. and the commission structure is a little off, you have to have a certain amount of call volume to sales ratio, just to get paid comission

Advice to Management

nothing i say will help.

4. "Bs"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hamburg, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hamburg, PA

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It helped me move up fast within the company. Money was OK. People who you worked with were generally friendly.

Cons

Didn't treat their workers fairly and made them all feel worthless. Nothing was never good enough because they constantly changed everything all the time.

Advice to Management

Dont give up on your workers especially after they have proven to you over and over again that they are doing their best and giving you their all and don't always trust what you hear from fellow managers

"Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at International Speedway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free coffee and soft drinks. Many hard working people that sacrifice everything to keep their jobs. Treated slightly better than slaves.

Cons

Very poor management, low pay, long hours, if your a friend of the owners family your job is safe otherwise they can fire you at anytime. I have seen several long term employee's fired this year already. They care about nothing in regards to their employee's well being. Horrible benefits package. They no longer give free race tickets to events. Over worked and very under paid. Everyone working here is always afraid of getting fired. Drug use is rampant, several high ranking members including board members are drug and alcohol abusers. Beware of this place it is poison.

Advice to Management

Drug test your employee's especially those working for Americrown 90% of them are hard core drug users. Treat the people that work for you as you would like to be treated. Stop wasteful spending of stock holders money.

"Ups & Downs, Just Like Anywhere Else"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great dynamic culture in our particular business unit. Not a typical 9-5 job and the encouragement and motivation within our team was second to none. Benefits and holidays/paid vacation were outstanding, if not, better than what most companies offer. As is typically the case in a sports business environment, there are long hours involved but it can be a fun place to work if you let it be fun!

Cons

The non-traditional hours were never an issue for me but the career growth opportunity was. Had tried on several occasions to move into a higher-level role only to find out that most of the time those positions would be filled from outside the company (despite the fact that I had started out as an intern and then had nearly 3 years of full-time experience within the company). I knew a lot of people but sometimes that's just not enough. Unless you happen to be very close friends with the hiring manager or anyone who works in the same department of whatever position you're interested in, or if you're closely connected to senior-level management, don't expect much luck with internal career growth. In fact, that is the number one reason I moved on after being in the same position for so long - I wanted that opportunity to grow in my career and to showcase my skills much better than I could with what I was doing.

7. "great company to work for"

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Pueblo, CO

I worked at International Speedway (Less than a year)

Pros

I had plenty of autonomy when working for this company. They provide support at many levels, and let you create or choose your own path for decision making.

Cons

I never really experienced anything I could rate as a con. The time I spent with ISC was well spent, and I enjoyed it.

Advice to Management

Keep making good decisions and putting the right people in the right spots, just as you have for years.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, great office building, 7-hour work days, you're opposite the Daytona Speedway!

Cons

Morale keeps plummeting. NASCAR as a sport is dropping and management have no clue how to stop it's slide

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like NASCAR , you will enjoy free tix. for races in town.

Cons

Poor management , very low pay with lots of stress. Not enough hours, they sent you home quiet often . Courtesy call would be nice, but they make you get to work , so you can turn around and go home.Very high goal , to earn commissions almost impossible .

"Only For Select Few"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

>FT benefits are well laid out & easy to follow/enroll
    >Supply expenditures & expense reports rarely questioned
    >Accounts with vendors kept up-to-date so no delays in deliveries due to overdue account
    >Many trainings & employee services easily available through computer

Cons

>No work-life balance - will work you into the ground - long days, long weeks, long months without compensation
    >Inconsistent leadership - management structure & personnel always in flux so company's direction reflects a squirrel crossing a road
    >Decisions, promotions & inter-department relations heavily influenced on internal politics ...many people in positions they should not be in
    >Company has all the problems of a big corporation but is 20 years behind the times
    >Considers employees as disposable - squeezes every drop of work they can out of FT and PT staff members and then moves on to their "next man up".
    >Pay rates/raises appear to be arbitrary and randomly determined on a whim
    >No commissions & bonus plan is a joke - there is no monetary motivation to excel

Advice to Management

>Streamline management structure. Use pyramid chain-of-command structure.
    >Develop short, medium & long range goals and stick to them.
    >Develop a rewarding commission & bonus program.
    >Investigate why your employee retention is what it is. Develop a work-life balance program.
    >Watch OFFICE SPACE and send in the Bob's to evaluate everyone's job responsibilities & performance because you have a few people doing a lot of the work load and a lot of people coasting along