International Speedway Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
International Speedway Vice Chair and CEO Lesa D. France Kennedy
Lesa D. France Kennedy

1. "Upper Management Only Cares About Their Own Agenda"

Current Employee - Agent in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Agent in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at International Speedway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Tickets - occasional Travel. Got to learn a lot about NASCAR. The team leaders and the trainer care a ton about the overall success of the company.

Cons

The management team is cold and uncaring when it comes to the employees. One manager in particular would hold mistakes against you until you got fired or quit. The pay was unacceptably low considering what they ask you to do.

Advice to Management

Spend more time at the call center to make sure your employees are treated with kindness not like children.

2. "Unfortunate typical corporate greed environment"

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health insurance and 401k if you can afford to contribute on what they pay

Cons

This was a good place to work many years ago but due to growth they have lost all of their values and have become a cold and uncaring employer only interested in profits and perks and bonuses for upper management at the cost of their lower level employees. Not enough compensation for the work load and responsibilities they demand. No matter how well or how long you have served they will terminate you per someone's whim in a heartbeat. Unequal and sometimes unfair practice of their policies. They market family entertainment yet could care less about their own employee's families. You will only succeed if you are good at office politics; not necessarily on how well you perform.

Advice to Management

Remember how you got to be where you are today, don't forget about those who have contributed to your success. Stop "restructuring"; new faces won't make a difference if you treat the new faces the same way you treated the old faces, you are just creating instability and distrust among the remaining staff.

"Terrible place to work"

I have been working at International Speedway full-time

Pros

well its a job if nothing else is available

Cons

if you want a life this job is not for you. There is no work/Life balance. They expect you to devote all your time to this place. No advancement and unfair tactics used with employees being belittled and treated like a child. Management goes over the line with statements on your personal life.

Advice to Management

you need to wise up and realize that your workers are the backbone not the higher ups and friendships don't make a person qualified to do a job .

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like NASCAR , you will enjoy free tix. for races in town.

Cons

Poor management , very low pay with lots of stress. Not enough hours, they sent you home quiet often . Courtesy call would be nice, but they make you get to work , so you can turn around and go home.Very high goal , to earn commissions almost impossible .

"Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at International Speedway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free coffee and soft drinks. Many hard working people that sacrifice everything to keep their jobs. Treated slightly better than slaves.

Cons

Very poor management, low pay, long hours, if your a friend of the owners family your job is safe otherwise they can fire you at anytime. I have seen several long term employee's fired this year already. They care about nothing in regards to their employee's well being. Horrible benefits package. They no longer give free race tickets to events. Over worked and very under paid. Everyone working here is always afraid of getting fired. Drug use is rampant, several high ranking members including board members are drug and alcohol abusers. Beware of this place it is poison.

Advice to Management

Drug test your employee's especially those working for Americrown 90% of them are hard core drug users. Treat the people that work for you as you would like to be treated. Stop wasteful spending of stock holders money.

7. "Don't Value Their Employees, Don't Pay Enough!!"

I worked at International Speedway part-time

Pros

NONE, I have nothing good to say about this company; I wanted so much to love working for such an iconic business but that did not happen.

Cons

I am a very hardworking, honest college educated woman who decided to work for the speedway during the races. I was hired as a low level manager and worked 3 times before I had an issue. We were told if we needed a day off to give a 2 week notice. I gave over a 2 week notice to take off for the Daytona 500. We were never told if we could not work that race we would be fired. Again, only told to give a 2 week notice. After that race, those of us who did not work it were scolded for missing the biggest race of the year. I stopped getting contacted about future races and when I tried rescheduling myself for other races and I never get contacted back. I called and emailed my manager Dan Parsons and I even called his manager several times only to be ignored.

Advice to Management

We are working there only as needed. A lot of us have regular jobs we have to work around. That should be understood. Not everyone is a retiree who can work every race unlimited. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

If you can afford to spend $400 million on a renovation you can afford to pay your employees more. $8-$9/hour, standing on concrete all day for 10-12 hours minimum. That is HORRIBLE!!!

"Cool company to work for but ridiculously high stress and low pay"

Former Employee - Service Desk in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Service Desk in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free race tickets, free sodas and coffee, the job itself wasnt bad overall, it was awesome being able to say you worked for the track. My pay was ok although my co workers made considerably less than i did.

Cons

A lot of back stabbing, managers dont really care about their employees will sacrifice them in a heartbeat to make them look good. Overall VERY stressful work environment i wouldnt go back under any circumstances at this point.

Advice to Management

Promote from within instead of going outside the company you might find someone better suited to managing people and getting the job done.

"Only For Select Few"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

>FT benefits are well laid out & easy to follow/enroll
    >Supply expenditures & expense reports rarely questioned
    >Accounts with vendors kept up-to-date so no delays in deliveries due to overdue account
    >Many trainings & employee services easily available through computer

Cons

>No work-life balance - will work you into the ground - long days, long weeks, long months without compensation
    >Inconsistent leadership - management structure & personnel always in flux so company's direction reflects a squirrel crossing a road
    >Decisions, promotions & inter-department relations heavily influenced on internal politics ...many people in positions they should not be in
    >Company has all the problems of a big corporation but is 20 years behind the times
    >Considers employees as disposable - squeezes every drop of work they can out of FT and PT staff members and then moves on to their "next man up".
    >Pay rates/raises appear to be arbitrary and randomly determined on a whim
    >No commissions & bonus plan is a joke - there is no monetary motivation to excel

Advice to Management

>Streamline management structure. Use pyramid chain-of-command structure.
    >Develop short, medium & long range goals and stick to them.
    >Develop a rewarding commission & bonus program.
    >Investigate why your employee retention is what it is. Develop a work-life balance program.
    >Watch OFFICE SPACE and send in the Bob's to evaluate everyone's job responsibilities & performance because you have a few people doing a lot of the work load and a lot of people coasting along

10. "Bs"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hamburg, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hamburg, PA

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It helped me move up fast within the company. Money was OK. People who you worked with were generally friendly.

Cons

Didn't treat their workers fairly and made them all feel worthless. Nothing was never good enough because they constantly changed everything all the time.

Advice to Management

Dont give up on your workers especially after they have proven to you over and over again that they are doing their best and giving you their all and don't always trust what you hear from fellow managers

"Long time ISC employee"

I worked at International Speedway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work in Sports! Team atmosphere, Big Events and Big Exposure. Great Partners!

Cons

Very Thick Glass Celling, Hard to move up, horrible budgets for merit increase. Sr. Management that doesn't value employees.

Advice to Management

Know what your people bring to the table, not only what they cost to pay.