International Sports Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Good company to get experience in sales (in 7 reviews)

• Made good money and great connections with clients (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They aren't kidding when they tell you in training that you'll be making 150 cold calls a day (in 10 reviews)

• Base salary is pretty dismal as are the 5 days off per year (in 8 reviews)

"Great Job out of College"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Uncapped commissions
    -Management eager to help you close your first few deals
    -Fun culture in the Chicago HQ, happy hours, various extra cash bonuses, TV in the office with Sports on all day
    -new Revenue Sharing Program where upper management share commissions with account executives
    -work directly with company's top executives to do deals (fantastic experience having those conversations)

Cons

-Benefits/Vacation & Sick days are not the companies strong suit
    -there is a learning curve with this job where the first 6-8 weeks may be difficult or not as successful as you like

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the guys in their first 6 months in mind with RSP program and having managers help them close deals.

Examine and improve benefit and vacation/sick structure more closely as the companies grows

"Challenging but Rewarding"

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned how to find top executives and present to them.
    Made good money and great connections with clients.
    Cool co-workers, for the most part.
    Easy location near MAX.
    Occasional incentives that had some pretty sweet prizes.

Cons

Took longer than I thought it would to make my first sale. This is what I was told but I still expected it right away.
    Wish there would have been a way to continue working remotely (had to move for family reasons.)

Advice to Management

Consider letting staff work remotely and keep training. The senior management has lots of knowledge that, if passed on sooner, could really help develop the salespeople faster.

May 15, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your input. We are looking at developing more satellite offices but as you might have understood, the structure isn't conducive to work from home situations. Hopefully we can work ... More

"ANY positive review on here is fake."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Cons

This company lies.. and lies... and lies. You are forced to bully people, they tell you this is the attitude of a shark, and they try to sell you on the idea of having no morals. I literally had a cell phone pitch written on my desk from them and it was all lies. "My names ____, I need to speak with bob the CEO. I'm in between offices my assistant is out today, I have his number at my other office but I can't get it currently. (Then give them an ultimatum) listen secretary, either you give me the number now or I need to speak with your supervisor and I'm not sure how well that will go for you" LITERALLY HAD THAT PRINTED ON MY DESK. Quite literally the most disrespectful company I've ever heard of. Just please, please do yourself a favor and don't give them the time of day. You deserve better than this company. Constant revolving door, no one stays over 3 months. Look somewhere else!

Advice to Management

Stop writing positive reviews on Glassdoor. That's not how this is supposed to work. Wouldn't ya know, you're lying again. God bless these ISM people, they truly need help it's actually sad at its core, hopefully they can sleep at night.

Mar 24, 2017 – Employer Representative

This sounds like you had a difficult experience but to set a few things straight, no one is EVER told to threaten or coerce someone to get information. That is a lie. The Chicago Office also now has ... More

"None of these should be 5-star reviews, since most are fake reports"

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to put you were employed for 1-6 months on your resume

Cons

"Young environment” … This means its a lot of kids right out of college, which really means that there aren’t many people to help coach you as a young professional. Also, this means that most people with any real experience know that this is a company to AVOID

“Took longer to make my first sale” … Huge red flag!!! This is a commission job! If you’re product can’t sell itself, or you can’t sell the product, you will not make $$$! A solid part of this job is getting the right person on the phone at the right time! 160 calls a day for several months…!!!! Think about it… if it takes you 3 months (which is fast or a new person) to make a sale, is it really worth being hung up on 15,000 times?

Pay is pretty terrible. When I was with ISM pay was $1,500/month and after taxes it was $1,200/month. Keep in mind that I didn't have to pay my own health insurance. If I did my take home each month would have been $950/month…. Ask yourself, “can I live on less than $1000/month?”

Company is very fratty, but not in the right kinda ways.

It’s off-site sports packages are sexy to talk about, but hard to sell… I switched industries to something not sexy to talk about, but now I have a product people want to know about and can sell itself.

Call minimums… 160/day with no exceptions

Mandatory Overtime

No severance if you’re fired

Cant take PTO around holidays. If the 4th of July falls on a Thursday you will not be allowed to take that Friday off so you can have a long weekend.

Advice to Management

just try to be honest about the way you conduct business. don't try to spin it. don't try to cover things up. try being honest and accountable for your short comings

Mar 17, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for feedback. A few of your points however need to be expounded upon / corrected. The first 3-6 months are really where the sales individual learns about product and engagement with the ... More

6. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at International Sports Management (Less than a year)

Pros

High earn potential, Great environment and excellent place to sharpen your sales skills.

Cons

Sales can be far and few between. Also the job itself can be very challenging and stressful.

Advice to Management

Pay a higher base and you will have much less turnover.

May 15, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your review. We agree it is not easy and not for everyone however the commission structure is quite generous, though sales are obviously a critical component in addition to the base ... More

"Fun and fast paced office - NOT like the negative reviews make it sound"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at ISM for 2 years as an Office Manager. When I decided to leave to pursue a different career I asked my boss for advice and he helped me get my next (and current position). He encouraged me along the way and we still stay in touch which is why I'm writing this review. I was on Glassdoor for my current company and as I looked back at some of the negative reviews listed here, I felt compelled to write in to set some things straight.

First, the atmosphere is pressurized but fun and fair. As the one who administered contracts and leads, the managers would often give away their own contacts or even past clients to help the sales people. They never, ever took anything from an account executive. The managers always felt it was much more important to help the sales people in any way so they could grow. This is the same in all of the offices as I had interactions with the others too.

We also had many sales people who would come in, make good money (I saw a number of sales people collect commission checks over $10,000) and save up so they could go travel or go back to school. I feel reading the negative ads however that too many people expected to come in and make easy money. It took time and lots of effort for those who were successful to get that way.

I also was responsible for setting up office activities, from winning the monthly sales targets we would go golfing or bowling with the entire office. Happy hours to beer Friday's to toy drives and food drives, the staff care about having fun and each other. The CEO as well (who definitely lives in London and definitely is NOT a jerk!) was always pleasant and fair to deal with.

The lead tracking and work to reduce bad data and crossover is of great concern to all from the CEO to all of the office management and I took great time and effort to work on this. It was not perfect and could not be but it certainly was better than many others I reviewed when we were setting up the systems.

My benefits package included a 401K that has gained money more steadily than any other investment I had, including the 25% match the company puts in. I believe they still have that and other benefits like paid vacation and sick leave along with a healthcare package that is not the cheapest month to month, but has very low deductibles and maximums (at least it did before Obamacare - not sure now.)

Cons

While there are many great examples of people making money and having fun, it certainly was not the story for everyone. In sales, some people seemed to have a knack for speaking with executives and getting them on the phone more than others. I witnessed many sales people who thought it was going to be easy to sell (this is contrary to anything I ever heard any manager explain) get downtrodden and develop bad attitudes blaming everyone and everything else. Many of the negative reviews I have read here sound exactly like those people.

Also, many of the people came in expecting instant success without understanding the process or that it takes time to learn how to do the job. It always frustrated me to hear people complaining who thought they should be getting everything without putting in the work This was not everyone but it did (and apparently still does) happen.

It is not to say that some people simply weren't able to perform even with effort. They would talk about it being a "grind" and while the pay offs were big, some people simply couldn't handle the grinding in between. The sales part of this position is not easy and some people would go a couple months without a sale but they would make a big sale when they did that was worth thousands of dollars to them. Others were more consistent - it all depended on a number of factors but usually came down to the individual from my experience.

When people are not performing well, there is tremendous pressure to get on track. Some respond well to this and others do not.. Being able to handle pressure and uncertainty was something the successful people did well and those that didn't did not make it.

Often times I had many projects that I was juggling and that got crazy from time to time but that wasn't what I saw with the sales people.

Advice to Management

Keep systems transparent and make sure employees understand the 'why' behind what you are doing. I always understood that and it made my job and time with ISM fun and fast paced. I also saw many others come in and have success as well as enjoy their time. For those that didn't, that is unfortunate and some of the negatives in reviews should be monitored and adjusted, and were, like giving time to work on research during the day. Keep listening to the employees and having meetings to check in so they can let you know what's important early before it becomes an issue.

Mar 17, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your feedback here. We have incorporated more of the regular meetings with employees to provide guidance and 1 on 1 assistance with specific issues to be more custom in solution finding.

"Take the job, work hard and it will payoff."

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Keep in mind that I worked there a while ago so I'm sure plenty of things have changed.

If you get somebody who is interested, your managers will do everything they can to help you close the deal. By far the biggest pro and you really can't find that kind of support in most sales jobs.

The commissions are pretty sweet considering the short sales cycle. It's very rare to find a sales job that pays uncapped commission on large deals with a 1-week sales cycle. Most sales jobs that give you the chance to close $30k+ deals have much longer sales cycles.

The career ladder is straight forward and they tell you exactly what they would like to see from you to earn your next promotion.

Most of the people here don't suck.

Cons

Upper-level management has very little respect for quality research. Sure some questions need to happen over the phone but you should have a good idea of what exactly you need to know beforehand, They thought 90% of the research can be conducted over the phone. That is just a form of soldiering and a huge waste of time but great for your dial numbers.

They also want you to squeeze the lemon on every bad phone call no matter what. Sometimes it's just smarter to end a call and move on to someone else.

Advice to Management

I strongly suggest hiring a certified salesforce administrator. You have so many new guys plugging in so much bad data that it drowns out valuable information. There is also no plausible reason for any commission salesperson to have free rein over the entire company CRM.

Senior account executives should be able to pitch any event they want on the first call.

Mar 17, 2017 – Employer Representative

Thank you for your feedback. The managers work diligently to help close sales for their teams and also promote their salespeople. Research is an interesting topic. In no way does the sales management ... More

"It's fun selling sports packages in a great downtown office!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

Pros

Incentives from plane tickets to great cash bonuses and being able to attend events - once I have some more clients attending!

Office location is great and there is a small gym w/ showers and bike room in the building that is included.

They just introduced a new revenue sharing program for all staff and are giving us more ownership in some decisions like charitable giving.

Cons

The new lead generation program has had some glitches that are being worked out.

Some previous co-workers were fun but weren't very serious so they didn't make it. That is part of sales as I've found but it still is frustrating.

Sales are worth a lot but they don't happen every day (which I was used to before).

Advice to Management

Maybe have a day like Friday where we can come in early and leave a little earlier? Also, would like to see some video of the events and more pictures. Training has continued- would like to know more about specific events.

"Account Executive"

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits seemed to woo you at the beginning. And the packages they are selling are very extravagant and the clients love them.

Do not apply here. Do not work here. You will regret it.

Cons

The boss is a micromanager. He can come off very passive aggressive. Not a good work environment to be involved in on a daily basis. Constant revolving door of new employees. Most don't even make it through their first month
    There is no time for research so you basically call and try and wing it.

Advice to Management

Don't take these negative reviews with a grain of salt. They are legitimate. Do more training with new hires. But I guess it's not worth the time because they are in and out so quickly.

Oct 11, 2016 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your contribution but it sounds fairly bitter right away. People from offices in Portland, Chicago, and Milwaukee have developed great careers, earnings, and personal growth along with ... More

"This job was exactly what I expected it to be"

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to get experience in sales. This is literally the ground level of sales, as you are essentially prospecting and cold-calling the entire time.
    I was fortunate to have a great sales manager who helped me learn a lot.
    Also fortunate to be part of a sales team that was fun to be around.
    There is some potential to make some money and sales do get made a few times a week.
    The product itself (corporate hospitality tents for mostly golf events) seems sound.

Cons

Low base salary. Average sales job base seems to be about 35K, you'll be making around half that.
    Not the best commission rate either (it used to be 10% before they changed it to 5% in May).
    Most people don't stick around for more than a few months it seems (myself included), some have even quit after a few weeks. Sales in general has a high turnover rate but this seems especially high.
    150+ cold calls a day does get very tedious, and you are responsible for your own lead generation most of the time.
    Expect to get hung up on a lot, as you are calling from a blocked number and are not allowed to give admins any information about what you are selling.
    The pitch needs work. Anyone with a brain can see right through some of the things we say in it. "Our inventory has been sold out for a while now, yet here I am cold calling you and offering you a discount so you can reserve that last remaining space that is in such high demand!!!". Please. This has never made sense to me as the hospitality event set up we provided is actually pretty nice and on par with the hospitality that the PGA itself provides, why we sell it in such a shady way is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Management does a good job telling you exactly what this job is and what it entails during the interview process. I don't understand all the negative reviews on here as you are literally told step by step that those things are going to happen.

Being inside all day with a phone glued to my ear wasn't for me, however, I'd recommend this job to anyone that doesn't have any real work or internship experience and is looking for an entry level job. You will learn a lot (if you have the right sales manager) and it is something positive to put on your resume.