International Sports Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 16, 2019

3.6
David Whitmore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Made some good money from sales and would come back if my situation changes- manager left door open for that" (in 9 reviews)

• "Cool office location and City views" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because you make lots of cold calls to C-Level Executives on a daily basis, you deal with a lot of rejection" (in 13 reviews)

• "Not counting commissions, the base pay rounds out to about 11 bucks an hour" (in 11 reviews)

"A lot of training, but up to you to apply"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office location. Fun enviromnent and lots of incentives to perform with commission, bonuses, event gear, dinners & happy hours.... Most managers truly want you to succeed, they help to both prospect, set up and close sales for you early on and don't take or split your commission. They also do a lot of what I'm doing which is helpful to hear how to be successful vs. reading about it while the manager makes "easier" sales for themselves. Advancement is opening up, they just announced more expanding of teams which opens up manager spots.

Cons

I understand some of the negative reviews on here, as you can't be halfway in this job. or just to "try out" sales. If you need constant hand holding or lots of training before you feel confident in how you communicate something, this can be tough. I've got some early success going like others here, but the guy I sit next to I already know isn't going to make it. Looking for reasons why he doesn't like the job instead of making it his own and leaning on his manager for help.

Advice to Management

Cut down the size of some of the sales teams maybe? They are not huge teams, but get rid of the people who are only here for the sports and not for sales.

Apr 17, 2019 – Employer Representative

Appreciate the review- we try to make it fun for everyone but are always looking for new ways to improve the experience. Glad you appreciate the managers doing what you are too - leading by example... More

2. "Good place to work at"

I worked at International Sports Management full-time

Pros

Management cared, nice boss who expected the most

Cons

Not sure probably the hour lunch.

Advice to Management

Good place to work just got a different opportunity elsewhere

Apr 17, 2019 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your time here. Not sure about the lunch issue but would love to hear more or contact your former manager. Best of luck in the future.

"Great"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at International Sports Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, Opportunity to make $

Cons

None, if you work hard there is great opportunity

Advice to Management

None, head management handles everything great

Apr 17, 2019 – Employer Representative

Thanks for taking the time to write this. We appreciate your work and look forward to seeing advancement for you in the office. Best of luck and please work directly with your manager for anything... More

4. "Exciting Job"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

I didn't have much in the way of sales experience so I have learned so much in a short amount of time. I have started to perfect cold calling, getting through gatekeepers, presenting to c-level decision makers, overcoming objections, and learning how to be consultative to find the right fit. There are no caps on commissions which is great and I am about to become a senior account executive! The office is on the 18th floor right on the river which is pretty cool.

Cons

It was tough for the first couple of months since I didn't have a lot of experience. The base is low so I had to really work on the basics so I could start making sales.

Advice to Management

Have patients with new staff and listen to new suggestions.

Apr 17, 2019 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time here. It's a process but one that is explained and proven to work with positive results! Stay focused and enjoy your progress!

5. "Fun office"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

About 30 people in the office on different teams but feels like its one big team. Managers show you how to be successful instead of focusing on their own stuff which is nice. Senior company management hands on with training so it's a top-down involvment. Revenue sharing program helped me out last month when I didn't have a sale, but I've got 2 this month so far.

Cons

Lots of newer managers who came up thru the process, so a bit of a learning curve. But thats why the other senior guys are involved to help with that. Didn't get to close my first 2 sales which was my personal goal, but both were done by my manager and I still get the full commission which is nice.

Advice to Management

More retraining on Salesforce after the first week or 2 would help. It's not difficult, but the small nuances can mean the difference in how many sales opportunities I create each week.

Dec 4, 2018 – Employer Representative

Glad you were able to participate in Revenue Share - it's an easy way to make some extra money just for keeping the metrics in place! Salesforce training is getting built out with videos that can be... More

6. "Last week I got my first sale!"

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Last week I got my first sale! I’ve been here for a month or so now and have really started to understand the process, I’m excited to grow. Last week we had several sales ($$) in this office and they were all for account execs and there is a “buzz” going around. The continuous training really helps and has made me confident with my sales ability. With the uncapped commission pay structure, you control how much you make. The office culture is positive and motivating, management is hands on and helpful. The Sr. VP comes up regularly from the HQ office in Chicago to help us too. There is definitely a good group of people here. Company provides leads right off the bat and teaches you how to research additional leads to stay fresh. Your manager is there to help guide you throughout the entire sales process from start to finish and the open office environment is nice so you can listen to top sales people close deals, and learn from that.

Cons

The learning curve right when you start. It took me some time to understand the process. It’s definitely not a “quick hit” type sales position. A lot of rejection but is worth it when you get a sale as you will get a solid commission check! Low base salary which puts pressure on people to get sales to make good money, so you must possess confidence and believe that you can do it!

Advice to Management

We need to keep up with the extra trainings we have been doing the last few weeks as it really does help us.

Dec 4, 2018 – Employer Representative

Glad you are catching on. Continued trainings are now built into schedule and will be even more robust to start new year. Keep up the good work!

"Account Executive"

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job to acquire, mostly good people in the office.

Cons

hires are not meant to succeed here, they are used to add potential contacts to the salesforce, high turnover, leadership is not motivating lacks proper knowledge on managing people

Nov 12, 2018 – Employer Representative

Thanks for taking a moment to respond. Not sure what happened to cause your exit but it sounds like you struggled to make a sale. As for "hires are not meant to succeed here" there couldn't be any... More

"Very tough job, but you are given the tools to succeed."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately for me, I only lasted 4 months at ISM but that is only because the cost of living in Chicago was too much for my finances to handle, which made me have to move back home to the East coast. It was a great experience and i cant thank senior management enough for the opportunity given to me, even though it was short lived.

-Great group of managers, people to work with.
    -No ceiling as to the potential income you can earn.
    -Awesome views from a downtown Chicago office.

Cons

-Its tough to make a sale (for me at least), but everyone is different in this aspect!
    -The base pay per month is low, however, the commission percentage is high so as long as you're making sales, you will be making good money.3
    -The cold calling is tough but you are given training on how to make the process easier and more natural.

Advice to Management

None, everything that you can and will experience on the job is exactly what the managers and training prepare you for. If you need the help, no one hesitates to put in extra time to help you out.

Oct 18, 2018 – Employer Representative

Thanks for your time to review. We are sorry you had to leave esp. after 4 months but wish you the best in your future endeavors.

9. "great people and chance to learn and earn!"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

office is full of really cool people
    work is challenging but deals = good money
    great gym and bike room
    good mentoring
    lots of support

Cons

so far it's been as advertised - the "cold calls" are actually much easier than I thought they would be as they train you how to make them into "warm calls". that was my biggest fear and so far so good!
    getting past admins and operators takes some practice but here again, the process they have works . also, they have been very specific in tell me and the others to never lie about our name or company. that was important to me.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work - keep advancing training

Oct 18, 2018 – Employer Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share. This helps give people an accurate glimpse inside vs. some of the other reviews. Best of luck going ahead!

"There's better options than this"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly environment. Managers are helpful. No work outside the office.

Cons

-Terrible base pay
    -Commision is nice if you can get it, but don't expect to make many sales.
    -No vacation days the first 6 months, 5 each year after that.
    -150+ calls each day to the same people over and over that go nowhere.
    -You're lying to secretaries all day and hacking voicemails because no good secretary would put you through if they knew what you were doing.

Advice to Management

Listen, if you're fresh out of college and have no clue what you want to do go for it. It's a bunch of sports bros packed into one office so it can be fun. But, you spend all day on the phone and the second you talk to someone you're encouraged to transfer it on to a manager. Your take-home pay is embarrassingly low. The only skill you learn is cold calling, but otherwise, there's nowhere to really go with this. I used this job to springboard to a much better position. I was taking interviews the first week I was there. I've never seen so many people leave a job in the first week. There are much better fish out there, just keep looking and take a pass on this one. The latest reviews on Glassdoor for this company seem like they may have come from someone at ISM, which is the only real reason I went through with publishing my review.

Oct 18, 2018 – Employer Representative

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. A few pieces need clarification however starting with the pay - base is not big because commissions are. From there: 1) not expecting to make sales... More