Internet Brands Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Internet Brands CEO Bob Brisco
Bob Brisco

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401K match and the CEO has literally said to employees at a year end party in 2014 (in 18 reviews)

• They convert you from intern to full time at very low pay (very very less compared to industry standards) (in 36 reviews)

"Great while I was there"

Former Employee - Content Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, hardworking coworkers
    Company was open to my ideas
    Great work/life balance
    Lots of remote jobs

Cons

So huge and slow-moving
    Absolutely NO GROWTH for employees - that's why I left
    Stingy on pay and raises

Advice to Management

Promote from within. The reason I left was because I'd been in the same job for almost 6 years and had no upward prospects. Having said that, I would 100% work for Internet Brands again, I just wouldn't expect to stay for too long.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just joined a new sales team, and have had a lot of success selling the product. On track to make more than Recruiter mentioned Y1.

Cons

No 401k match, and can't work from home.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really like my team. Also, my manager is flexible. Causal clothes, and environment is friendly and not too stuffy. Like the fast paced work.

Cons

Some people on my team have been here longer than me, so not sure when I'll have opportunity to move up.

"Sales - Account Management - Ad Operations"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a recent college graduate, you can get basic experience needed to grow your career. After 1 year (and that's all you should stay there for) you can move on to a new opportunity and double your salary and get better benefits such as 401K match, better work life balance.

Cons

If you have experience, the offers Internet Brands will give you will be under market value and the sales goals are unreachable. No marketing support or brand direction. Performance for advertisers is poor at best due to majority of the publications under IB are "organically" grown traffic and traffic has been decreasing YoY. Most of IB's traffic is UGC (which no brand or agency ever wants) and these users educate each other on how to turn on "ad blockers". Leadership gives little to no direction for it's brands. Horrible communication between editorial and the rest of the organization in what direction the publication (brand) will be making season to season and year to year. No 401K match and the CEO has literally said to employees at a year end party in 2014 . "Not sure about you all, but my bank account has a few new zeros". Then offered a POS back pack as a year end thank you. This all the while when it's employees are well under paid for market value. Also, nearly all the chairs are broken and the work environment is disgusting. Just take a look at the kitchens , the fridges or even worse the bathrooms. The overall experience was awful, employees turnover is a constant issue. The creepiest thing is that CEO makes all hiring decisions and only seems to like hiring female Asian women. Accrual is how you will earn time off, 90 days probation period for any benefit such as medical, dental and time off goes into effect.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, offer better benefits, invest into your products and get chairs that you can actually sit on.

"I had a lot of fun there."

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work is available across different "verticals" (types of market - automotive, home, vacation, modeling, etc). Had fun working with members of online communities that IB supported. The office environment/dress code is casual, which is a huge plus. (I'm no one's dress-up doll. Dressing like Captain Kangaroo is not going to make me better at my job, so I won't do it.) They were flexible on hours, which is another huge plus, as the traffic in LA is terrible. The offices are high up in a building next to LAX, so you can watch airplanes take off and land if that's your sort of thing. The view of the mountains to the north, and the entire LA Basin to the north/east, is stunning. The people are friendly, and some of them have been there since the second Bush administration. You don't see that kind of loyalty everywhere. You can get coffee and food on the ground floor, and there are some fast food places within walking distance. The beach is a few blocks away.

Cons

The location is not central, so expect a long commute if you're not in the South Bay or nearby. The building is next to the 105 and close to the 405, so at least there's that.

Advice to Management

Put your ear to the ground and see how the employees really feel about their managers. Most are good. A few are not, and demonstrate some combination of lack of empathy, and authoritarianism. Both of these signal incompetence. Employees will never tell you about this because they assume that managers will circle wagons should any of them be questioned by rank-and-file employees. Therefore, you need to pay attention to things like facial expressions, body language, how warmly employees receive their managers (especially when not expected), and other social cues.

As a regular employee, I knew who was happy and why - and who was _unhappy_ and why. If you just learn to read between the lines, you can see what I saw. Never assume that because everyone in middle/upper management likes a manager, that they are actually good. I saw talent leave over managers that other managers seemed to like. Think about all the time and money that walks out the door when that happens. Think about the additional time and money you have to spend bringing replacements up to speed. Losing a good employee over a bad manager is a travesty because it's both unnecessary and counter-productive. Most of your managers are good, and have happy employees. It's the few "bad apple" managers, who you'll never hear about, who chase your best resources out the front door. Don't let them do that.

"Run way as fast as you can"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my co-workers were wonderful.

Cons

Everything. My manager was reported to HR multiple times for creating a hostile work environment and HR's response anytime someone complained was, "we have heard that before."

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight. Invest in your sites.

"This Place Is One Big "MEH""

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex time in terms of arrival to work (no WFH)
    Work life balance
    Pretty standard vacation (but ZERO sick days) and bosses are generally ok with taking unpaid vacations if you use up your time
    You learn a lot, and you'll take it to your next job where you'll increase your income SUBSTANTIALLY
    Give entry level people a chance
    The grass will be much greener on the other side!

Cons

Management is weak all around, there is zero communication from the top about company goals and vision
    Benefits, perks, & compensation for most employees are garbage (I've heard that the C-Suite has their own bonus plans, catered daily lunches, and special benefits plan... surprise surprise)
    No money for employees even though they just bought WebMD for 2.8 billion.... in cash
    No sense of an overarching company culture, I couldn't tell you how the upper management describes it.
    Recruiting is known to look for whoever will accept the job at the lowest $$ possible, which isn't even close to market value. Also, it's pretty alarming to see how many recruiters work there and how fast they turnover...speaks to how difficult it probably is to get anyone to agree to work there.
    Turnover is relatively high company wide .
    Most people look generally uninspired and unimpressed coming to work every day... rather depressing

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, it's not 1998 anymore. Don't threaten and mistreat employees that have put in their time once they are on their way out the door, pay them more so they'll stick around.

8. "Nice Job to get Foot into Door"

Current Intern - QA Engineer Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Current Intern - QA Engineer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-It's in a good area
    -I started with other interns who were nice
    -The Trainers are all nice and respectfuk

Cons

-Pay, I wish pay could be better
    -People seem kind of stuck, I wouldn't stay here too long

Advice to Management

-Better pay would be nice but I am happy with the job

"Stale"

Former Employee - Sales in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time

Pros

Descent intro into digital, but no real career growth.

Cons

Stale culture.
    Out of touch execs.
    Horrible hr department, and shady recruiting practices.
    Sub standard pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

I wonder how HR will deal with with new legislature being passed - can't ask potential employees salary history. I was asked to forward my previous offer letters.

"run"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule located near LAX

Cons

NONE.. this company has no need to be in business

Advice to Management

manage