Internet Brands Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Internet Brands Los Angeles Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Los Angeles, CA Area

Pros
Cons
  • They convert you from intern to full time at very low pay (very very less compared to industry standards) (in 36 reviews)

• no 401k match sucks, first company i work that doesn't have this (in 16 reviews)

1. "QA Engineer jr."

Former Employee - QA Engineer Junior in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer Junior in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with updated software development practices and technologies includying issue managers, scrum, testing in modern browsers.

Cons

The environment feels task oriented instead of centering the envionment on the development of the persons that work and their habilities.

"No place for re-hires, less compensation"

Former Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA

Pros

good work culture ,
    work life balance

Cons

no place for growth
    no place for re-hire. I interned during summer. When applied for fulltime, wasnt given a chance for face to face interview

Internet Brands Response

May 18, 2016 – CTO

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really sorry that you had that experience! We care a lot about our interns and making sure they have a great experience and learn a ton while they are at IB. We also ... More

"Needs improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment. Location is decent, although not many options for food within walking distance. work can be interesting sometimes

Cons

Low pay. Not really a good work culture and lots of turnover in certain areas. Poor benefits. For an internet company, should provide some perks/benefits to compete with other companies. Company owns so many websites that not all of the websites get the same attention, so some of the websites look cheap and not professional. The executives are mainly focused on buying more websites rather than making the current websites and services good.

Advice to Management

Make the current websites more professional looking and run them better, rather than continuing to buy more and more websites. Foster a better working environment and add perks/benefits. Stop underpaying people and value your employees.

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Company is growing really fast!
    Good opportunity to learn, grow, work/balance your life.
    One of the best is, org pays close attention when it comes to work/personal life balance of employees, employee issues, concerns and provide's best work opportunities.

Cons

Take's a lot of effort to get a Job! QA Interview's are very strict, disciplined and be prepared to show your talent!

Advice to Management

Great job managing Work/Life Balance of employees! Thank you

"So So"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to have a good project manager that was willing to set aside his time to mentor me.

Cons

Pay is bad Lots of turnover.

Internet Brands Response

May 18, 2016 – CTO

First of all, thank you for the three+ years of service! I'm glad you got good mentoring from your PM, I hear all the time that people really grow a lot working at IB. I'm sorry you didn't have a ... More

"Incredibly Easy. Incredibly Unrewarding."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• The easiest paycheck I've ever received with an amazingly flexible schedule. Truly the only reason I stayed longer than 6 months.

Cons

• No clear direction or involvement from management or executives. I would frequently email my boss giving him project updates or ask for direction and never receive a response.
    • No defined process. A project cycle from start to finish would be completely different depending on the vertical you were working in.
    • Unsatisfying and unrewarding work. Constantly starting and stopping or only completing half of a project before being assigned a new project or taken off without explanation.
    • Terrible development of sites when compared to designs unless every last detail was outlined by the designer.
    • Was hired as a contractor and told a full-time position was likely to be offered after 3 months. Worked here for over 3 years and the only time it was discussed is when I brought it up with no follow through on the company's part.
    • Never met or saw the CEO in 3 years.
    • Absolutely no reward or positive reinforcement for going above and beyond.
    • No emphasis on good design, all that matters is the bottom line.
    • Nice co-workers but everyone seems happy with mediocrity and afraid to try anything new.
    • No big picture. I would get assigned work without much background, details or research provided and deliver a design without receiving any feedback, positive or negative.

There's so much more, but to summarize, this place is soul-crushing. The incredibly high turnover tells you all you need to know about how much they value employees. If you need an easy paycheck while looking for another job, use it for that but get out as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

• Have some kind of communication with employees and at least act interested in what they are doing. Give some kind of feedback, positive or negative.
    • If you're going to fire an employee after 3 years of working for you because you 'no longer have the budget' for their contract, maybe have the decency to give them any kind of notice beforehand.

"Growing So Fast"

Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities. Great people. Very challenging environment. Stable.

Cons

Fast paced environment that's not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on culture building.

"Laid-back Company with Potential to Shine"

Current Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No Dress code, good bonus plan, liberal PTO and work schedule, friendly people to work with. People will complain about a lot of things at IB, but the Inside Sales Teams are for the most part left alone. If you're a self-starter and are willing to push yourself to be the best, you'd do fine anywhere. Where IB helps push you is the laid-back atmosphere and guidance from Sales Managers IF YOU ASK FOR IT.

Cons

Lack of training, sink or swim mentality, lots of sales drama between teams, overworked IT department, horrible sales systems, horrible clients. Again, a lot people here hate working for IB, but there are far worse companies to work for. The Inside Sales Teams have a lot to learn, but like any sales office, there are winner and losers. If you're a loser, you'll probably lose everywhere unless you stand up and ask for help.

Advice to Management

Quarterly/yearly bonuses and pay structure changes would go a long way in furthering the company's short-term and long-term goals, and meetings with Management more than once yearly would help keep us all on the same page. There also needs to be a greater push to keep new people.

"Former sales rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and good place to learn the ropes.

Cons

Pay is below industry standards. Good short-term employment to learn about the digital industry then move on to get paid what you deserve. Poor communication between upper management, middle management, and reps.

Advice to Management

Reward employees. Communicate company goals.

"CarsDirect Partner Integrations"

Former Employee - Senior Partner Integrations CarsDirect in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Partner Integrations CarsDirect in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed hours, the management couldn't care less about the state of the websites

Cons

If I list the actual cons of this job the review will be rejected they are so bad.

Advice to Management

North Korea is nice this time of year and the homes should be affordable there with the IB salaries.