Internet Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Internet Brands CEO Bob Brisco
Bob Brisco

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401K match and the CEO has literally said to employees at a year end party in 2014 (in 18 reviews)

• They convert you from intern to full time at very low pay (very very less compared to industry standards) (in 36 reviews)

1. "A good place to start"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to pick up new skills.
    Wonderful group of people to work with
    They care about making a good work place

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement
    Not much support from corporate headquarters

Advice to Management

Keep the environment and push to give your employees the tools they need

"Great while I was there"

Former Employee - Content Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, hardworking coworkers
    Company was open to my ideas
    Great work/life balance
    Lots of remote jobs

Cons

So huge and slow-moving
    Absolutely NO GROWTH for employees - that's why I left
    Stingy on pay and raises

Advice to Management

Promote from within. The reason I left was because I'd been in the same job for almost 6 years and had no upward prospects. Having said that, I would 100% work for Internet Brands again, I just wouldn't expect to stay for too long.

"Do not waste your time"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Little Positives, I started looking for a new job within 2 months.

Cons

Unorganized, no direction, awful leadership

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just joined a new sales team, and have had a lot of success selling the product. On track to make more than Recruiter mentioned Y1.

Cons

No 401k match, and can't work from home.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really like my team. Also, my manager is flexible. Causal clothes, and environment is friendly and not too stuffy. Like the fast paced work.

Cons

Some people on my team have been here longer than me, so not sure when I'll have opportunity to move up.

"Sales - Account Management - Ad Operations"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a recent college graduate, you can get basic experience needed to grow your career. After 1 year (and that's all you should stay there for) you can move on to a new opportunity and double your salary and get better benefits such as 401K match, better work life balance.

Cons

If you have experience, the offers Internet Brands will give you will be under market value and the sales goals are unreachable. No marketing support or brand direction. Performance for advertisers is poor at best due to majority of the publications under IB are "organically" grown traffic and traffic has been decreasing YoY. Most of IB's traffic is UGC (which no brand or agency ever wants) and these users educate each other on how to turn on "ad blockers". Leadership gives little to no direction for it's brands. Horrible communication between editorial and the rest of the organization in what direction the publication (brand) will be making season to season and year to year. No 401K match and the CEO has literally said to employees at a year end party in 2014 . "Not sure about you all, but my bank account has a few new zeros". Then offered a POS back pack as a year end thank you. This all the while when it's employees are well under paid for market value. Also, nearly all the chairs are broken and the work environment is disgusting. Just take a look at the kitchens , the fridges or even worse the bathrooms. The overall experience was awful, employees turnover is a constant issue. The creepiest thing is that CEO makes all hiring decisions and only seems to like hiring female Asian women. Accrual is how you will earn time off, 90 days probation period for any benefit such as medical, dental and time off goes into effect.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, offer better benefits, invest into your products and get chairs that you can actually sit on.

"I had a lot of fun there."

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work is available across different "verticals" (types of market - automotive, home, vacation, modeling, etc). Had fun working with members of online communities that IB supported. The office environment/dress code is casual, which is a huge plus. (I'm no one's dress-up doll. Dressing like Captain Kangaroo is not going to make me better at my job, so I won't do it.) They were flexible on hours, which is another huge plus, as the traffic in LA is terrible. The offices are high up in a building next to LAX, so you can watch airplanes take off and land if that's your sort of thing. The view of the mountains to the north, and the entire LA Basin to the north/east, is stunning. The people are friendly, and some of them have been there since the second Bush administration. You don't see that kind of loyalty everywhere. You can get coffee and food on the ground floor, and there are some fast food places within walking distance. The beach is a few blocks away.

Cons

The location is not central, so expect a long commute if you're not in the South Bay or nearby. The building is next to the 105 and close to the 405, so at least there's that.

Advice to Management

Put your ear to the ground and see how the employees really feel about their managers. Most are good. A few are not, and demonstrate some combination of lack of empathy, and authoritarianism. Both of these signal incompetence. Employees will never tell you about this because they assume that managers will circle wagons should any of them be questioned by rank-and-file employees. Therefore, you need to pay attention to things like facial expressions, body language, how warmly employees receive their managers (especially when not expected), and other social cues.

As a regular employee, I knew who was happy and why - and who was _unhappy_ and why. If you just learn to read between the lines, you can see what I saw. Never assume that because everyone in middle/upper management likes a manager, that they are actually good. I saw talent leave over managers that other managers seemed to like. Think about all the time and money that walks out the door when that happens. Think about the additional time and money you have to spend bringing replacements up to speed. Losing a good employee over a bad manager is a travesty because it's both unnecessary and counter-productive. Most of your managers are good, and have happy employees. It's the few "bad apple" managers, who you'll never hear about, who chase your best resources out the front door. Don't let them do that.

"Engineering in Search of a Culture."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn. Freedom to innovate.

Cons

No company can excel without a winning culture.
    Engineering leaders should recognize this and spend more time developing talent and a positive workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent. Reward high performers. Set expectations!

9. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job, my coworkers are great.

Cons

They bought our company and took away everything that was good about it. Corporate

Advice to Management

Raise the salary or risk losing more employees.

"Run way as fast as you can"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my co-workers were wonderful.

Cons

Everything. My manager was reported to HR multiple times for creating a hostile work environment and HR's response anytime someone complained was, "we have heard that before."

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight. Invest in your sites.