Internet Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Internet Brands CEO Bob Brisco
Bob Brisco

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, below industry average (in 35 reviews)

• no 401k match sucks, first company i work that doesn't have this (in 13 reviews)

"Job ended in less than 3 months"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time

Pros

Work location is good and colleagues are very friendly.

Cons

Can end the job anytime.

Advice to Management

Do not expect a lot of experience from an entry level person. He/She came out with very little knowledge and seeks some guidance.

"Company with ZERO ethics"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Laid back environment (casual dress code)
    -Non-stressful job (for the most part)

Cons

-Corrupt employer is an understatement
    -Lied to regarding employment status and benefits
    -Forced to work OT with NO pay, instead was forced to take PTO, which doesn't make sense, because I was not offered any benefits to begin with
    -Pay equivalent to minimum wage, yet position requires 4-year degree

Advice to Management

When your employees' cons are far greater than the pros, know that's a red flag, and it's time to work towards a solution instead of sweeping everything under the rug and pretending they don't exist. Reward employees for their dedication and hard work instead of treating everyone like wage slaves.

"Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Terrible Benefits, No 401K Match, Company places no value on employees. Salaries they should be ashamed of.

"Work here if you have low self-esteem"

Former Employee - Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-It's always better to have a job while looking for another one.
    -Everyone knows this place is a stepping stone so it is fine if you leave early.
    -Freedom to do your own work on the side.

Cons

-low pay
    -low decision making opportunities unless Director or above
    -unorganized process
    -People constantly move in and out so can't really dive deep into projects. Your job is really picking up where the last person left off. Sustain that level and leave.

I should have known about the problems while I went through interviewing. If you are not of a fan of anyone you meet or have worried feelings about what is going on, do not go through with it. If you feel like it is something you can deal with on an everyday basis, then it could be bearable.

Internet Brands Response

Aug 16, 2016 – CTO

I'd love to hear more about the issues you experienced since I think we generally have a strong development process and are very inclusive in engineering decisions. I have an Open Door policy and ... More

"Internet Brands, takes small companies and destroys them."

Former Employee - Support in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Support in Portland, OR

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros, since my experience with Internet Brands was that they took a great company and made it worse.

Cons

Internet Brands bought out a small company I worked for and replaced the highly trained, devoted specialists with people making a fraction of the cost and getting a fraction of the training to provide an especially small fraction of the service.

Advice to Management

Learn what your employees jobs were before you lay them off.

"SEO sales job - Online Practice"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training offers great sales techniques and knowledge. Great coworkers in the trenches. Decent pay for inside sales positions. Not much else.

Cons

Incredibly narcissistic and aloof manager who will micro manage you to death. No roof for growth. Limited solution selling but inside sales position makes it like shooting fish in a barrel. Our competitors sit directly across the office from us, and parent company owns nearly all of the competition you run up against. Also, company is still in growing pains, so their onboarding process is sloppy and unrefined. Often times management are reactively making decisions that are not well thought out and poorly executed. Commission scheme and lack of accelerators on comp made it a very unrewarding and unmotivated job experience.

Advice to Management

Figure out where your people are going to be in 5 years.

"No place for re-hires, less compensation"

Former Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA

Pros

good work culture ,
    work life balance

Cons

no place for growth
    no place for re-hire. I interned during summer. When applied for fulltime, wasnt given a chance for face to face interview

Internet Brands Response

May 18, 2016 – CTO

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really sorry that you had that experience! We care a lot about our interns and making sure they have a great experience and learn a ton while they are at IB. We also ... More

"Incredibly Easy. Incredibly Unrewarding."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• The easiest paycheck I've ever received with an amazingly flexible schedule. Truly the only reason I stayed longer than 6 months.

Cons

• No clear direction or involvement from management or executives. I would frequently email my boss giving him project updates or ask for direction and never receive a response.
    • No defined process. A project cycle from start to finish would be completely different depending on the vertical you were working in.
    • Unsatisfying and unrewarding work. Constantly starting and stopping or only completing half of a project before being assigned a new project or taken off without explanation.
    • Terrible development of sites when compared to designs unless every last detail was outlined by the designer.
    • Was hired as a contractor and told a full-time position was likely to be offered after 3 months. Worked here for over 3 years and the only time it was discussed is when I brought it up with no follow through on the company's part.
    • Never met or saw the CEO in 3 years.
    • Absolutely no reward or positive reinforcement for going above and beyond.
    • No emphasis on good design, all that matters is the bottom line.
    • Nice co-workers but everyone seems happy with mediocrity and afraid to try anything new.
    • No big picture. I would get assigned work without much background, details or research provided and deliver a design without receiving any feedback, positive or negative.

There's so much more, but to summarize, this place is soul-crushing. The incredibly high turnover tells you all you need to know about how much they value employees. If you need an easy paycheck while looking for another job, use it for that but get out as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

• Have some kind of communication with employees and at least act interested in what they are doing. Give some kind of feedback, positive or negative.
    • If you're going to fire an employee after 3 years of working for you because you 'no longer have the budget' for their contract, maybe have the decency to give them any kind of notice beforehand.

"CarsDirect Partner Integrations"

Former Employee - Senior Partner Integrations CarsDirect in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Partner Integrations CarsDirect in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed hours, the management couldn't care less about the state of the websites

Cons

If I list the actual cons of this job the review will be rejected they are so bad.

Advice to Management

North Korea is nice this time of year and the homes should be affordable there with the IB salaries.

"Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team environment and got to work with smart people, Zero growth opportunity.
    One year is more than enough to spend your time at this place.

Cons

poor pay, Higher management sucks at knowing the core issues