Internet Brands "low pay" Reviews | Glassdoor

Internet Brands Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Dec 16, 2019

3.5
Internet Brands CEO Bob Brisco
Bob Brisco
Pros
  • "Good benefits, work-life balance, standing desks(in 37 reviews)

• "Lovely people to work with, 401(k) match as of January 2019 , exciting work environment, and challenging projects that move the needle(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very low pay compared to the market(in 52 reviews)

• "Because of the high turnover rate(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Flexible and diverse"

Former Employee - Community Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

-diversity in employees -flexible work schedule -understanding management -casual dress

Cons

-lack of upward mobility -low pay

Internet Brands2019-10-16

"Only for the desperate or lazy"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is in terms of QA. * Very casual in terms of office culture and work load. * Never felt pressured with a deadline or felt overworked. * For the most part, can set your own schedule and are free to change it once in a while.

Cons

* The salary pay is abysmal. Easily under $20-40k in comparison to other companies. Bob Brisco once sent an email stating how he was affected emotionally in seeing homelessness in El Segundo to the point where he created a townhall meeting to discuss issues to tackle the problem. I just find that ironic seeing how little he pays his employees who are probably in debt with school loans and that he also paid a lot of money for WebMD. I once found an intern job posting that listed a hourly pay that was higher than my salary once. * The turnover rate is high with people leaving at a consistent rate. This is most likely due to the first point where the pay is low enough, that people need the job in the mean time to look somewhere else. * The products you work with are horrible, which is also due to high turnovers and low pay. They tend to not work for the most part which makes it difficult in performing "Quality Assurance". So developers end up leaving and then the replacement takes a while to come since the salary pay is bad and have a bad product to work with. * Some business verticals are stretched thin in comparison to others, so QA in one team is fully equipped to handle their needs since their verticals makes the most money, while others are left dry. * The company only hires interns for QA and I was as told this specifically from the higher ups. The QAs that are not interns were promoted to full-time so when someone from QA leaves, it creates a gap until another intern comes in and has to go 3 months of training before they can replace someone. You will also probably with outsource workers which might creates issues with communication. * You are easily disposable in QA. As in, someone left and now we are moving you from one team to the next to fill in that role. Which leads to issues where now your work schedule might need to adjust if you have a outsource team to work with also. * They pay increases are laughable. They give you $2500 pay increases every "performance review" which happens "quarterly". It hasn't been "quarterly" for a couple years and also the base salary you start with is so low that the pay increase, while being something nice and you always want it, is still disappointingly low. When an intern was promoted to full-time, I also learned that they ended up with a higher salary than me. I don't know why that is or the reasoning, but it still to this day, frustrates me. * The company is just cheap in general. You can tell instantly by the squeaking chair you sit on for the first time with the old dell computer, monitor, and keyboard. This year, full time employees finally started to upgrade to Windows 10, but I feel this is because it would cost more money to pay Microsoft for Windows 7 support. They also stopped paying for TestRail which is the tool that we use the most for QA. The only money Bob wants to spend on is another website to recoup the cost by shoveling ads all over the place. The following is for any potential interns that apply. * The interview process is too long and too involved for what you are going to do. I had to do a phone interview, an online hacker rank test, an additional phone interview, and then an in-person interview. It took a month to get the job. * Despite taking years of schooling for your degree and the interview process, you will most likely not even write a single line of code. You only have one shot of writing code in a daily basis by doing well with automation training and that is your only opportunity. If you don't do well, you won't join the automation team and you end up doing normal QA in some vertical. All those years studying Computer Science for nothing. * You can ask to basically start your internship over by asking to change into a "developer" internship, but that also mean re-applying once again, but not before finding someone from the higher-ups to let you. I have only seen this happen 3 times after around 30 people that have came and went from the company. * You are done after 3 months. You will have learn everything the company can offer and you can either just keep the easy money and get full-time employment or find somewhere else to put your degree into. Their job description might give the impression that they might not, but that is a lie. You WILL get a full-time position offer. Why? Because of the high turnover rate. Average time to full-time employment is 8-10 months, but you will get it. As long as you can write code in general, it should be easy enough to get the intern position, but will be annoying how long it takes. The pay is bad, but the work load is easy and you can set your hours whenever and everyone is friendly. So if you are just an incredibly lazy person, this is just easy money. If you are desperate to find a job, THIS has to be your final choice. I can only recommend it if you cannot find anything else.

Internet Brands2019-12-17
  3. "Horrible!"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Better than no income, 3 weeks PTO

Cons

Lowest pay in the industry, no room for advancement, favoritism, discrimination, incompetent and unqualified middle management. Upper management is just there to make their own money while most employees work very hard for very low pay and benefits get worse as days go by. Health insurance has gotten more expensive, while deductibles have gotten higher and plans offer less benefits. Turnover is the norm. Promotions only for favorites regardless of experience, qualifications or competency.

Internet Brands2019-10-08

"Upper Management should should encourage Team collaboration, not the other way around"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time

Pros

- Steady job - A good ledger for anyone who wants some industry expertise

Cons

- Siloed environment - Upper management has blame-placing culture VS collaboration on solutions - Low pay unless you earn dollars and pay in pesos. - Unnecessary drama-driven culture from Management, plus, no room for healthy discussions on deliveries

Internet Brands2019-09-13

"Very, very low pay"

Former Employee - Product Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time for less than a year

Pros

- low effort - work/life balance

Cons

- incredibly low pay and poor benefits - the DMV of tech

Internet Brands2019-09-12
  6. "Great stepping stone for those starting, not a lot of growth opportunities"

Former Intern - Software QA Engineering

I worked at Internet Brands for more than a year

Pros

- Was thoroughly trained in manual and automated QA testing methodologies - Company events were fun - Work/life balance was good

Cons

- Low pay - Little to no room for growth

Internet Brands2019-07-02

"AR Nightmare"

Current Employee - AR Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mostly cool people, not all though.

Cons

Extremely chaotic, mismanaged work environment, nobody knows what to do, huge work load, severely and chronically understaffed, no OT, unrealistic expectations with extremely low pay and no perks at all.

Internet Brands2019-06-09
  8. "Great Starting Grounds"

I worked at Internet Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provides a good environment to launch your career

Cons

Low pay, very political, not innovative

Internet Brands2019-04-30
  9. "Great culture, low pay!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture and ability to grow

Cons

Very low pay compared to industry standard

Internet Brands2019-04-19

"Sr Account Executive"

I worked at Internet Brands

Pros

Casual environment. Nice co workers

Cons

Everything. Abusive managers. Low pay

Internet Brands2019-02-05