Internet Marketing Ninjas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Jim Boykin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Job with Amazing People"

Current Employee - Link Builder in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Link Builder in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at the company for a few years and I've definitely seen an uptick in employee happiness over the years as we have grown and changed as a company and over the years the pros have definitely started to add up. For example:

Recently, we were all given free Iphone 7's with unlimited messaging and data on our CEO's plan so we don't have to deal with paying a phone bill anymore! It was an amazing surprise especially coupled with all the free food we have been getting at work (hot dog machine, popcorn maker, snack cart, catered lunches for example) as well as the cash that our CEO has personally been handing out to every single employee in the company as a “Thank You” for working so hard.

The CEO also has “open door days” every once in a while where employees can get some face time with the owner of the company and talk to him about whatever you want: where you want to go with the company, ideas you have, your weekend plans, etc.

Another pro is that we have Flex Scheduling. The doors are open from 7am to 7pm and as long as you get 40 hours a week in, you're good! When you want a 3 day weekend, it isn't hard to just put in some extra hours Monday or if you have an appointment or something to get done, that's perfectly fine because you can just make up the time later.

There's a Fun Committee that schedules fun events like trivia, happy hour, Christmas parties that involve actual fun times, hiking trips, tubing and even vacations to the beach (recent trips were to the Dominican Republic and Jamaica) and honestly, these are the people you would want to go on vacations with and do these outings with. The ninjas here are incredibly welcoming and friendly people who have honestly become like a second family because they are actually fun people who make coming to work everyday worth while and enjoyable. The work at IMN can be difficult sometimes, but you can always go to other Ninjas with any questions you have and they are always willing to help.

Cons

We tote our culture a lot, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but people tend to forget that IMN is first and foremost a business. A lot of people who join the company tend to get caught up in the fun of it all without realizing that the job is actually quite demanding and requires effort and dedication to get things done. Nobody is breathing down your neck to get things done on time, it's up to you to make sure you're working smart. Not everybody works well like that.

"Stay Away"

I worked at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very few pros, occasional bonuses but they don't make up for the lack of raises

Cons

If you want to work for a company that likes to throw around the word family but then fire people for no reason, the IMN is for you. This is a company that does not evaluate based on performance but rather how willing you are to be a brown noser. If you are not up for going and getting fall down drunk at company events, then you will probably not be successful. Employees are pitted against each other in a very unhealthy way, leading to zero teamwork and every man for themselves. The company is extremely cliquey, very reminiscent of middle and high school. HR does not do anything about the negative environment because the worst offenders have the highest numbers and that is all that matters. Prepare to be told how awesome the company is doing, and then walk into massive layoffs the next day, as there is zero transparency. IMN is the most unprofessional, poorly managed company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees, and judge people based on their work, not their willingness to party with the bosses.

3. "Work Hard, Play Hard & Have Fun"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are tons of pro’s to working at IMN. The environment alone makes it a pleasure to work here and make good friends.

The biggest pro is the flexible schedule each employee gets to enjoy. If you have a car appointment or need to go to the doctor, you can easily take the time to do so and return back to work. Most employees here work longer hours Monday through Thursday and have Fridays off. Three day weekends are very common!

A small tech café is just down the hall with vending machines and microwaves, however IMN provides a snack cart selling items at cost. If you forgot to bring your wallet you can still enjoy hot dogs, nachos and make your own popcorn. There is coffee, hot chocolate, tea, water and even a freezer full of ice cream all free.

We have a Fun Committee that plans food events catered from local food vendors and businesses. There is pizza once a month and salad is provided a couple times a month. Every couple of months we have a vendor bring us food depending on the occasion. Everything from Breakfast to Dinner! Once a year the company grilles their own food in the afternoon celebrating with a ½ day paid. You get to go out on the grass and lounge and play games of all sorts.

The Fun Committee also plans our travel events and gatherings. Annual company trips in the past have been to Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. Trips to local area events are also common. We have been on tours, participated in charitable galas and even took an afternoon to go see a band.

The work is fun and challenging. With the support of team leaders, it is a pleasurable work environment. If you ever need help, you can easily turn to your neighbor and get the help you need or message a team leader. There are not many people moping around on Monday morning because they had to go to work.

You neighbor here at IMN will eventually become your friend and what else is better than going to work with your friends where you can work hard, play hard & have fun.

Cons

I have to get up really early so if I must list a con I would have to say that I wish we opened earlier. We open at 7AM so its really not that bad.

"The Best Company - Even Better People"

Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not in this order*
    -Fun
    -Friendly
    -Interesting
    -Fair
    -Welcoming
    -Compassionate
    -Innovative
    -Sincere
    -Playful
    -Open Minded

Cons

-Way too much free food

Advice to Management

1. Don't let the immaturity of some negative comments about IMN online get you down. All professional adults know that expressing bitterness towards an "ex" of any kind, is an emotional expression of delusional grandeur.
    2. Contract Me for Life

"Internet marketing ninjas"

Former Employee - Link Builder in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Link Builder in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, young staff and social events outside of work, opportunities in multiple departments/facets of internet marketing. Generally hands-off management approach with access to C-level managers relatively easy.

Cons

Low pay, not the industry for me so I won't comment too much on the workplace

"A welcoming and friendly environment, full of opportunities"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff at IMN is incredibly welcoming. They're open and encouraging of questions and many senior employees make a concerted effort to invite newbies to events and get to know them. IMN has been around for 15+ years and some of its employees have been there for the whole ride. This shows every day at the office - people are invested in the future of the business and want new employees to feel like a part of the family.

They're also incredibly good at what they do. Even better, they're eager and willing to share their skills and knowledge with others. Upper management is very supportive of new ideas and independent projects. The CEO is very generous with his time, resources, and training for employees.

There are ample opportunities to learn more about digital marketing, SEO, content creation, sales, and more here. You can be in any position and learn about all aspects of the business. You just need to take the initiative to ask other people. I work in one department, but I think I've received basic to intermediate training in almost every aspect of what IMN does. For someone looking to build a career, working at IMN is an invaluable experience.

When I was interviewing for IMN, the interviewer told me that it's a "work hard, play hard" kind of company. I think that's very true - we have a lot of fun, but everyone in the building is also working their hardest to get their jobs done and excel. It is an inspiring place to work!

Cons

There are cliques and a bit of drama. It's not hard to avoid and it doesn't impact the work that gets done, but it can be unpleasant sometimes.

This isn't a con for me, but I think it might be for some others: this is a place where you are expected to have ambition. If you want something - if you have goals, if you want to excel, and if you want to accomplish your work - you have to want it and work for it. "Opportunity knocks, but it is up to us to open the door." If you can't motivate yourself or push yourself to succeed, you may have a difficult time here.

Advice to Management

Keep your open door policies and share your struggles and triumphs with the regular employees. I have seen my colleagues double or even triple their efforts for the sake of the company and their fellow employees. When it comes down to the wire, your teams will get the work done.

As some other reviewers here have said, a handshake and a pat on the back mean the world to us. Constructive feedback, given in a safe environment, is also very helpful.

"Former ninja"

I worked at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time

Pros

Casual environment, lots of free food

Cons

arrogant/selfish management, expected to work 40+ hours/week with no extra pay, demanding time limits on projects

Advice to Management

grow up and think about what's best for business, not what's best for you.

"Unique and rewarding work environment"

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Internet Marketing Ninjas for more than eight years and my experience has been very positive. IMN is well-known in the Internet marketing/SEO community which means that there is a high standard for quality here. We are always evolving our product offerings and I'm proud of the work I do. The company offers a laid-back environment, flexible hours, and a casual dress code.

CEO is very generous and rewards employees with ample bonuses (both around the holidays and randomly to motivate us), fun events (catered lunches, company trivia nights, etc.), and even trips to places like Jamaica, Las Vegas, and Cancun. Sometimes my friends can't believe the perks!

Cons

The nature of the Internet marketing industry means that processes and best practices can change without much warning, so you have to stay on your toes. Flexible schedule and little micromanagement means you have to be self-motivated - if you fall victim to the casual environment and don't produce quality work, you won't do well here.

Advice to Management

Communication could be better - make sure all information gets passed down to the employees it affects

"Unique and Exciting Experience!"

Current Employee - Digital Media Specialist in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Media Specialist in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My job is awesome and challenging! I have the privilege of being involved in two different creative departments, so the work I do is constantly evolving and fun. It is definitely an active learning environment - we are always learning and experimenting with new ways to deliver maximum impact for our clients on top of our solid foundation of results. If you do fantastic work and go above and beyond, you will get recognized personally. There are also amazing perks like company vacations, themed parties, game nights, and more. The culture is lively and eccentric, and we're always trying to get the newbies involved. However, if you're introverted and just want to work, that's cool too! As long as work gets done, that's the important thing.

Overall, it truly is a company like no other. You'd never expect to find such an unconventional and driven marketing company in Upstate NY. I truly love what I do and can't recall a time I have dreaded coming to work.

Also, the flex scheduling system is incredible! The CEO is very kind and generous - you can tell that he truly cares about his employees. He has helped me immensely personally during tough times, and I will always be so grateful for that!

All in all, you get what you give here. Work hard, and you'll be rewarded in an enriching variety of ways.

Cons

The laid-back atmosphere and flex scheduling can be deceptive at times, because at the end of the day, what matters is how much quality work you contribute. If you're not self-driven to some degree, you may struggle here. The nature of internet marketing is fickle, so you need to be on your toes and ready for sudden changes in pace. Communication could be better at times and information doesn't always trickle down to everyone who should know. However, this is understandable due to the fast-paced environment. There have been some rough patches here and there, but we have so much momentum and enthusiasm now, I am very hopeful for my individual future and the future of the company.

Advice to Management

Communication could be improved to some degree, but otherwise - keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Re-started my carreer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Internet Marketing Ninjas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Internet Marketing Ninjas is a great place to begin your career. They will teach you everything you need to know to be successful in this company. They will provide you with specific skill sets that college hasn’t been able to teach as this industry is ever changing.

This is the first company I have ever worked for that tries to make EVERYONE happy. Sure, there are cases of ice cream, snacks and 8 flavors of coffee to appeal to anyone’s taste. But employees are also provided with a flexible work schedule and a casual work environment. The events committee schedules trips to the Saratoga thoroughbred track, Paint-n-Sips, regional breweries, …. and did I forget to mention THE CARIBBEAN?!?

With hard work you get the opportunity to represent Ninjas at conferences from NYC to San Francisco. And if that isn’t generous enough, the CEO enjoys passing the successes of the company onto the employees with random bonuses.

Cons

Internet Marketing Ninjas is a small to mid-sized company so opportunities for upward advancement are rare. However, for those who express interest, management offers lateral movement to gain additional experience.

Advice to Management

A pat on the back goes a long way! Greeting staff with a handshake and a “thank you for contributing” may help to foster a greater sense of brand loyalty.