Interpublic Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Interpublic Group Chairman and CEO Michael I. Roth
Michael I. Roth

Pros
  • Great environment, tons of PTO, competitive pay and benefits, great training to enhance your soft skills, work/life balance is great (in 8 reviews)

• Casual work environment, fun co-workers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There are constant budget meetings where senior management and the accounting team review the budget in detail once per month (in 6 reviews)

• Advancement opportunities are lacking, some management needs to be developed (in 3 reviews)

1. "Low pay has caused employees to leave this company bitterly"

Current Employee - Treasury Analyst
    Current Employee - Treasury Analyst

Pros

Life balance and very nice work environment. I really liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Low pay and limited forward movement in the company

Advice to Management

Reward your employees and your employees will stop jumping ship

2. "Absolutely no communication, leadership, or training"

Former Employee - Invoice Controller in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Invoice Controller in Omaha, NE

Pros

Benefits were okay, and the casual dress was a nice change from most jobs. The hours were okay. Honestly, however, I'm racking my brain to think of these pros.

Cons

A complete lack of cohesive training. There were three people training me during the first week and I was told different things by all three. There was no positive feedback, or any feedback for that matter. I was hired because of anticipated heavy work increase, but that never materialized and then without warning, after 21 days of employment, was let go because I was "not progressing fast enough". How can a person learn a job when the work doesn't exist and they are kept busy by pulling staples for three days? After I was let go, I didn't receive my check for 20 days afterwards, and the check I received was incorrect. I would not recommend IPG to anyone.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start. This company needs a complete overhaul and communication, leadership, and training needs vast improvement.

3. "just one messed up place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Biztalk Server Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Biztalk Server Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

pay was kinda fair though it was less than few other companies in the area
    work location is good for commuting

Cons

worst management
    dont anything about project management
    lack of respect for hard working people
    incompetent fulltime staff , most work is pushed onto consultants
    lack of QA team

Advice to Management

learn to respect your best guys

"I worked about 5 years for IPG in IT department"

I worked at Interpublic Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On that period was good salary and good location

Cons

Right now they are moving to Omaha . They are not interested in people in other areas.
    No I would not recommend this company to my friends. If company tried to save money by relocation - may be no reason to go to this company.

6. "Avoid this toxic place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Interpublic Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The office is in downtown SF.

Cons

Be prepared to be used, abused, and discarded. I worked there for over 7 years and the only raises I got were only because I threatened to quit. Even then I was paid at least 10% below average. Management is a big joke both locally and from NY. Walking away was the best thing I could have done. Very little career growth, they prefer to hire from outside than promote from within.

Advice to Management

Work with your people not against them. Hire enough support staff and pay them better.

7. "No Training"

Pros

Great holidays - 12! Two weeks of vacation the first year.

Cons

No training. No organization. I played Scrabble for the first two weeks. I begged for any type of assignment, but no one knew what I would be doing... When I was given an assignment, I was told there were no SOPs in place. Training was almost non-existent. Manager would assign project but be too busy to walk me through it - or taking her dog to the vet - or getting her nails done - or home with her kids - or going to the dentist. If I couldn't finish a project, manager would finish it but not tell me how it was done. Communication was not high on the list of priorities.

Advice to Management

SOPS should be an integral part of every department. I don't know if my department was an exception - or the norm. With SOPS, new employees can hit the ground running. Absences can be covered efficiently. Communication can be moved up in importance. Work can get done efficiently - the first time. I would strongly recommend that each employee know what they are doing and why. I spoke with my manager several times regarding a lack of direction. There was no response until my last (and only) HR meeting when I was told the job and I were not a match. Luckily, I had determined that my manager and I were not a match earlier.

8. "Manager"

I have been working at Interpublic Group full-time

Pros

fun group of people to work with

Cons

long hours.
    low pay
    drinking problems among senior management

Advice to Management

Get pass the midlife crisis

9. "Great place, people and procedures"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great Offices, people listen and help out when you need it.

Cons

There are none I really enjoy it!

Advice to Management

Carry on what you are doing!

10. "The work could be challenging, but knowledge is contained and protected by those in management positions."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

The work-life balance is quite fair. The flexibility to work from home or managing your own work hours is very refreshing.

Cons

There is no career ladder at IPG. Former Agency Employees hold most of the leadership roles and are stubborn when it comes to discussing new ideas or approaches that may help the company grow. Compensation is very poor. Contractors make twice as much as full time employees and have better job security because they protect their information/knowledge.

Advice to Management

Management needs to allow fresh ideas and young talent to grow. Stifling a new generation of thinkers and eager workers will only lead to high turnover with a bitter resentment towards an old-school style of management.

"IPG is a caste system"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Free coffee and great views... some colleagues are nice, but they leave all the time. It's hard to make a nd keep friends.

Cons

Management is promoted based on friendships with higher-ups. Competence and good management skills are not considered for promotions. HR is the least "human" function.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to justify your $300,000+ incomes to the rest of the staff who make less than one-quarter what you make, yet do all the heavy lifting.