Interstate Blood Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Larry Moss

1. "Physician Substitute"

Current Employee - Physician Substitute in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Physician Substitute in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Detailed oriented work environment. Family oriented staff.

Cons

Safety for staff and donors
    communication from management.

Advice to Management

Must maintain inclusiveness for all employees.

2. "Quality Assurance Coordinator"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Coordinator in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Coordinator in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, some freedom and not micromanaged

Cons

Pay and lack of organization from corporate

Advice to Management

Pay employees more and make sure everyone's on the same page

3. "DRUG TEST"

Current Employee - Health Historian in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Health Historian in Temple, TX

I have been working at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You think you can move up.

Cons

Male dominated, subjected to vulgar conversations, never was paid what I was promised in interview. Employees aren't drug tested or background checked.

Advice to Management

New trainers. Old ones are jaded and don't have time for one on one.

5. "ok place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly coworkers, managers friendly. closed on Sundays and Holidays

Cons

Pay is lowest in industry, no paid sick days, few vacation days, no chance for advancement

Advice to Management

need to raise pay and look to improve things like paid sick days

6. "Interstate Blood Bank Review"

Former Employee - Donor Processor in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Donor Processor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best Pro for Interstate Blood Bank was the benefits by far. They provided employers with a good health care plan for basically free.

Cons

The Cons for Interstate Blood Bank was that they started you with low pay and the job had a high turn over rate. The Job requires a lot of work and you have to stand up all day with limited breaks.

Advice to Management

My advise to management is to consider paying the employees more money. I will also advise for everyone be treated fairly and treated with equal respect.

7. "phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Frayser, TN
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Frayser, TN

I worked at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you love phlebotomy, then this is good for you.

Cons

Not yet automated like other centers. Great chance of human errors at fast pace. Tons of paperwork.

Advice to Management

Stop standing over employees watching them. Trust your employees. Make advancement chances more of an upward move, instead of lateral. Those who work hard shouldn't be overworked and promised help. Sometimes 3 or 4 months working understaffed. When overstaffed, jobs are always in jeopardy. When understaffed, sometimes they use you and when you make a mistake they let it slide mainly because management won't come out and help. When staffing resumes, after sometimes being all they had doing low staff times and overworked , have been known to bring up old(some recent some months old errors to get rid of staff.

8. "DONT DO IT."

Former Employee - Donor Processor/Lab Tech in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Donor Processor/Lab Tech in Miami, FL

Pros

Cool Co-workers, weekends and holidays off, and some of the donors are fun to talk to.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. VERY BAD. Favoritism. Train you when they want to train you for new position. It's never a choice or option. Work managers could have done during the work day, they want you to stay after work hours to do it for them, then they have the nerve to rush you and complain that their tired after sitting on their butts all day!! THEY MAKE YOU WANT TO QUIT!!!

Advice to Management

Stop expecting everything to be perfect, stop pretending, grow up, leave the favoritism at home. You guys are lazy!

9. "Training Coordinator"

Former Employee - PHLEBOTOMIST/Donor Processor/Lab Processor in Kingsport, TN
    Former Employee - PHLEBOTOMIST/Donor Processor/Lab Processor in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hours, and holidays. The people, and the benefits

Cons

the pay, sometimes you never know when your going to get off,

Advice to Management

watch the favoritism, and allow HR into the centers so that management can't pick on other employees.

"Medical staff; largely positive experience working for this company."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Interstate Blood Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, flexible scheduling, insurance very affordable, low stress environment, good crew of people at my center, good learning opportunity if you utilize it.

I'd say overall I think my experience has been vastly different (way more positive) than other reviewers due to the location where I work. Some centers have quite a bit of drama, unnecessary and childish, passive aggressive women creating chaos amongst their centers; I have had the exact oposite experience and am quite happy and content with my job. Sure, there are some cons, but that's every company in the world. As a company that has centers in several states, I believe most everything should be judged on a center by center basis.

I have a great group of people at my center, with a strong sense of fellowship. Almost everyone is truly in line with the mission of what we're doing as a company, the product we manufacture and a strong ethical sense for the importance of our contribution to medicine.

Overall, despite the cons, I love my job, my co-workers and the environment of my center. I left a higher paying gig with way better benefits for my job here and I would do it again without compunction! My complaints are largely based on higher up stuff and very little based on my specific center. Good job to my managers for creating such an environment, despite a few flaws. Low stress, mentally stimulating, fun place to spend half of my life.

Cons

Sometimes the drama of the corporate higher-ups trickles down to micromanaging each center beyond what is appropriate.

No sick days, ever, no matter what. 2 weeks vacation, forever. While I am satisfied with my salary, the lower level staff have little incentive to do a good job.

Lack of professional structure in implementation of policies (except their strict attendance policy) such as employee reviews.

Management poorly trained in all things HR related. This is how laws get broken, however, this is a lack of training, not a lack of capability on management's part.

Scheduling is flexible, but is more reminiscent of working in a bar as a college kid. Not a very adult, career oriented set up. As one of the few 'adult over the age of 35' employees, this hardly is conducive to having a normal family life.

Corporate historically has done a VERY poor job with marketing and advertising, only recently stepping it up to last century's norm. Paper job applications, paper charting system, outdated policies and guidelines, and lack of forward thinking made me seriously doubt this company's vision and understanding of the need to compete, both as a manufacturer and as an employer. The pros outweigh the cons, but I still think we're only just stepping into 1999 here.

Professionalism of staff, and management's general lack of placing value in any sort of work ethic, competency or drive is unsettling. Basically, one doesn't have to be good at the job, you don't even have to TRY to do well, as long as there's warm bodies in the house.... For those of us who give their 110% but have normal human challenges, the appreciation is lacking. Performance standards here are very misdirected...

Advice to Management

Increase pay for lower level workers as well as QA, lower level management, etc.
    Learn about what top companies do for their employees that makes them competitive!
    Create a desirable benefit package that is more in line with today's expectations.
    Tolerating petty, transparent attempts at sabotage by people misusing their position and creating unnecessary problems is unfortunate and costly, in more ways than one.
    Allow center managers more autonomy. Micromanaging hampers independent thought and can stifle positive growth.
    Value competency, intelligence and work ethic over less important qualities to promote quality and a satisfying work environment.
    Train all management in the basic HR laws and guidelines. EEOC, ADA, FMLA, and discrimination; beginning to see the repercussions of this, there will be more if change doesn't occur.
    Take a good hard look at your automation training team. Chaos creating, hypocritical, unprofessional, etc, group of people. Such a let down! Sadly, only a few on the larger team, escaped my regrettable impression of this group.

Overall, moving in a positive direction, but progress is slow.

For my center, again, I'm overall very satisfied giving what I was looking for in a job. Low stress, relaxed, not stuffy, challenging learning environment with a great group of people.

11. "Donor processor"

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Interstate Blood Bank full-time

Pros

Job security, benefits, hours, works around your schedule

Cons

Lacks team work. Too lenient, no one cares. You work hard while other co workers sit around.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favortism. When a rule is established make sure everyone follows!!