Interstate Distributor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marc Rogers

Pros
  • I love it when people actually complain about getting too much work, never getting good home time (in 3 reviews)

• I would recommend this number 4 out of 10 best truck company according to national reviews to everyone that wants run there azz off :-) (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of low miles, unprofessional so called "safety managers" (in 4 reviews)

• All new dispatchers have time fight for home time and still won't get there in date (in 3 reviews)

1. "Operations"

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time

Pros

able to learn from skilled workers

Cons

Awful hours and older view of how people should work, creating a stressful environment that doesn't always allow risk taking.

2. "Going to give Interstate a shot"

Current Employee - Regional Driver
    Current Employee - Regional Driver

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I see a lot of good things being said. I love it when people actually complain about getting too much work, never getting good home time. We are truck drivers, it will never be perfect I guess in regards to home time, but I much rather have that problem than to be complaining about having too much work.

Cons

People tend to only comment when they are pissed I think.

Advice to Management

I decided to give Interstate a shot, it looks like they will keep me out of NYC which is a deal maker or breaker for me. I am very impressed that management actually take the time to address concerns here,

Interstate Distributor Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review! Sounds like you have a great attitude. (And yes - we'll keep you out of NYC.)

3. "CS"

I worked at Interstate Distributor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent for the most part.

Cons

Hours are excessive and management planning and foresight is poor.

"Opinion"

Current Employee - Yard Hustler, Forklift Operator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Yard Hustler, Forklift Operator in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

It's a job. And just a job

Cons

No incentives, bonus or raises... Family benefit package is terrible and the company contributes nothing to to your 401k

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of your employees especially the warehouse workers who does the manual labor which keeps thos part of the business thriving.

Interstate Distributor Response

Nov 11, 2016 – Marketing Manager

One of the things we have worked hardest at is our benefits - they're actually very good within our industry and Interstate is bearing the bulk of the cost. Health insurance costs have been ... More

"Truck driver"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time

Pros

Average equipment decent benefits dispatchers are average

Cons

Low miles lot sit time

Advice to Management

Train planners to plan trucks before they deliver loads

"Good and Getting Better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time

Pros

Since the Saltchuk acquisition, things have improved greatly. It takes time to rebuild a company, but we are headed in the right direction. We have a great executive team that is helping guide us toward greatness. We continue to improve our technology in the workplace, with a driver mobile app, and new software in the office to make things run smoother. We have also created desirable driving positions for our driving associates, that will get them home often and provide them a quality pay check.

Cons

Driver turnover has increased, which makes things harder for every department. We need more people in operations who are committed to making this a great place to work for our drivers.

Advice to Management

Invest in developing your associates. We continue to hire outside people for positions that aren't posted online or available to current associates. Build from within, it will help create a culture where people want to grow with the company rather than constantly look for opportunities with other companies. You will continue to lose talented associates, while the lazy ones stick around until they retire or get fired.

8. "Great Family Truck Carrier"

Pros

Very friendly and cooperative environment, very accommodating to meeting personal/family needs (within reason)

Very easy to try out new roles and positions throughout the company

Management will tailor responsibilities to strengths when there is an opportunity

Cons

Training and development is lacking, but a point being actively expanded

Horizontal structure limits upward mobility

Advice to Management

Develop a mentoring culture

Leadership visibility on floor. Too small of a company for distant executives

Some in Ops management are too focused on short term P&Ls rather than big picture strategic deployment

9. "Great Company to Work For"

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity here for anyone who believes in change. Interstate's ownership by Saltchuk has put the company on solid footing making strides in improving our equipment and technology. Processes are always under review for improvement, and I've found executives to be receptive and responsive to feedback.

Cons

Tension between those who embrace change and those who resist it. "We choose to be positive" is one of our foundational principles, but it isn't consistently evident.

Advice to Management

Positive culture needs to woven more into the everyday actions of employees.

10. "Interstate is making a great comeback!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Interstate Distributor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interstate is a great place to work. Your opinions are respected and taken into consideration. If you are passionate about your work, you can make a difference here.

Cons

Employee engagement is low. The environment is negative so you definitely need a positive outlook to thrive here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Driver Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Driver Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Interstate Distributor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small Company feel. Great culture. Leadership genuinely cares about employees. People are all committed to improve. Best Drivers in the industry!

Cons

Going through the change process. Change always causes pain. Will take time to get it right. But leadership is getting us there.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people. Focus on the Driver and don't forget that you are not a trucking Company, you are a people Company that happens to drive trucks.