Interstate Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Interstate Hotels & Resorts CEO Mike Deitemeyer
Mike Deitemeyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance could sometimes be an issue (in 8 reviews)

• Was hired as sales manager and given no support / training from upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Best in the business"

I have been working at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Culture, training, systems/technology, career advancement opportunities, senior leadership

Cons

Due to size, the volume of hoteltransitions can be overwhelming.

2. "Okay experience, no room to move up and terrible pay"

Former Employee - Outlet Supervisor
    Former Employee - Outlet Supervisor

I worked at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff was mostly friendly and cared about their jobs, and the some of the management was really smart and good at their jobs

Cons

The pay was way below subpar, I was management and couldn't afford to pay rent. Most of the upper management is terrible and plays favorites with family and friends

3. "Depends on your GM or VP"

Former Employee - Executive Housekeeper in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Housekeeper in San Diego, CA

I worked at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, strong support & infrastructure, good systems, 4dx

Cons

Too much independent operation on the frontline, each hotel has a different owner, different salaries, different expectations

Advice to Management

Somethings should be structured, based on specific operational guidelines... for example, how can a hotel with 141 rooms budget for $600 for linen, and another 90 room hotel budget $500 month... red flag!!!!!!

4. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Dana Point, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Dana Point, CA

I have been working at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits

Cons

Not getting paid enough for the amount of work, not having weekends or holiday's off.

Advice to Management

Pay us more.

5. "Front desk supervisor"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor

I have been working at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Okay with room to grow

Cons

Nothing really about to say

6. "Growing Company"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interstate is growing! Before they grew they focused on their properties. Budgets are very fair between ownership and hotel operations. A lot of employee growth.

Cons

Needs more Interstate trainings on conference and in person trainings.

Advice to Management

Focus on building teams in hotel to grow woth interstate.

7. "management"

I worked at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent benefits, opportunities for growth

Cons

excessively focused on profits leading to a narrow understanding of what it takes to float a ship in a long run and disengaged with their workforce.

Advice to Management

Listen!

8. "Limited Possibility for Growth"

I worked at Interstate Hotels & Resorts part-time

Pros

As a separate company, Interstate is very organized and coporate-ladder-esque. You have high chance to "meet people who know people" and if you're very charming that will help you get around.

Cons

Hires out, focuses too much on the fine lines and not enough on the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

I have worked for two different properties at two different times in my life during or just after Interstate ownership begins. Union and non Union. Both times experienced a team with low morale, and saw hard workers let go over minute technicalities instead of disciplinary actions on team members that were skirting by and cheating the system immensely. Both times long time property employees were training for promotion and the position was given to a person from outside the property and both times the new hire in management position did not know the property operations systems at all and were then trained by the long term employees that had applied for the position. Both times I have seen tension rise because of these situations and both times I saw good employees lose their motivation and willingness to give their full effort to the company because the lack in possible growth became apparent. I advise Interstate corporate staff to use their intuition more than their paper data. It has been recorded in falsity by cut corners and charming snakes, taking advantage of good people and making them question their self worth in their careers. After changing properties and being managed by different companies inbetween my two encounters with interstate, it is easy to tell a good manager from a bad one. Sad to see that from the beginning of my career in hospitality to the most recent of it, Interstate proves to be repetitive in this. Disappointing. Also, a continued run in with victim blaming in sexual assault reported cases. Only ever experienced this with this company. It is infuriating and deafening all at once to hear the stories of my young female team members and how shamefully their cases were handled. Cementing the feeling that this company does not care about their employees.

9. "Too big now"

I have been working at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong leaders at corporate level and many hotels. Far less sketchy than some competititors.

Cons

New ownership's desire for growth has just about ruined what was great about company. Transitions can be questionable and company seems more interested in collecting fees from ownership than fostering employees.

Advice to Management

You don't need any more hotels right now. You need to get your home offices sorted out. Many corporate departments barely function because they are overwhelmed.

10. "I enjoy working for Interstate"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Interstate Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over all, Interstate is a great company. They have been in the hotel business a long time and they know what they are doing. Great benefits, medical, dental, 401K, PTO, discount hotel rooms (pretty much anywhere you want to go).

Cons

It is on the low end of the pay scale. The associates have constant change with transition ins and outs and that can be kind of nerve racking (not sure if too many transition outs will cause layoffs). The hours are very long at times and there is a definite need to focus on work/life balance.

Advice to Management

When your associates do well, let them know that they are doing well. The best way to lose great people is to accept and reward mediocrity.