Intertek Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 3, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
André Lacroix

Pros
  • Work life balance if you have the right job and boss (in 14 reviews)

• Respecting and pretty lenient work environment it was (in 27 reviews)

Cons

"Terrible Company/ Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Intertek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Few good engineers in the organization. Unsure why they stay.

Cons

Management is clueless and uneducated. HR is worst of any company been involved with.

Advice to Management

CALL BACK when people take time to come in for an interview. Know of multiple individuals who took the time to have on site interview to never hear back from either phone or email on status. Disgusting.

2. "Unprofessional Incompetent no value of employees"

Former Employee - Pilot Plant Operatot in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Pilot Plant Operatot in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When work is available it's is good work and time passes. Regular employees operate as a team like family. Paid holidays 2 weeks vacation 2 weeks sick time for new employees

Cons

BS training insufficient wages compared to industry standard poor management causes lack of projects dated equipment prevents influx of projects very unprofessional management engineering passes their task to operators very lackluster value of employees rotating 7 day schedule with 6th and 7th days falling so only 1 day of overtime per month short handed 80% of the time

Advice to Management

Formal training fair compensation bring equipment up to date or at least to safe functional operation

3. ""Lab Technician. Just do it and don't ask why.""

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You got paid company holidays.

I really don't know what else to say.

I hated going to sleep knowing I had to go to work.

Cons

Ridiculous hours.

Rotating schedule.

Taking a day off when you're sick was a super inconvenience to everyone.

LOW PAY!

Horrible managers who only care about results and NOT YOU.

BROKEN EQUIPMENT!

Horrible laboratory environment.

HORRIBLE TRAINING.

ONLINE TRAINING IS IRRELEVANT.

Coordinators don't care about you. They care about results.

TRAINING is not about WHY but HOW you do something and WHAT to report.

Never reimbursed for expenses!

Advice to Management

I really don't know what to say. It was just a horrible experience from HR all the way to training.

It sucks that clients have a non-experienced, badly trained, employee, behind the wheel doing all the test methods for a very important job(s).

Never will I recommend this company to anyone.

5. "Watch your Back"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your someone with a lot of experience you may start with a higher than average pay..

Cons

I worked for Intertek for 11 yrs. Each location follows Intertek rules but also they operate as a separate company under the Intertek umbrella. In the scenerio your local management has more power and control than necessary which creates an over dictatorship of my way or the highway attitude. Safety now matter what they say is NEVER the first priority maybe 3rd or 4th realistically. We had an example of an employee having to work with H2S which most know can be very toxic and deadly. This employee was being exposed to levels well above deadly levels and when he requested to put a safeguard in place like a vacuum or snorkel management said no because it would cost too much and he was give the choice of do the job or leave and he left.
    Management (VP) at this same location would speak to you in a Very disrespectful tone often raising his voice yell at you infront of your subordinates. We had a very High turn over of middle management for almost 5 or 6 years before HR from HQ came down to investigate and the non-management employees were never spoken too. Avoid this place at all cost!!

Advice to Management

For Intertek HR to require management training within the first 90 days of assuming a management role.

6. "Unreliable Disorganized Company"

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

Some good coworkers who can be fun sometimes as well

Cons

They are highly unreliable, disorganized, and layoffs occur all the time. They don't stick to what they say. They often make people work jobs that they didn't sign up for. I've seen people start the job and within a few weeks, they are getting assigned to a completely new role whether they like it or not and somehow they expect people to actually stay. Often time, the role an employee gets reassigned to will not work out well because they often just make the decision from up above without knowing much about the situation. They make false promises while never planning to honor those assurances. A manager will sometimes promise an employee one thing, while they are actually trying to prevent that thing when talking to other management. If they just didn't think that the person was right for certain positions or opportunities, that would be fine. However, they are very manipulative about it to a degree that I have never seen at any other employer. The company is also very disorganized and there seems to be a big round of layoffs about every 3 months or so with some other firings here and there in between. They constantly change their minds about whether they need to be hiring people or laying people off. I've seen people stay and put up with a lot of stress because of false assurances they were given about their career advancement, and they often just get fired at the end of wasting their time there when they could have been looking for better positions. The VP and operations supervisor make terrible decisions and they both seem quite ingenuine. Those two seem help to cause many of the problems that I mentioned. I heard the VP got let go but the operations supervisor is still there and she is still doing a lot of the same things apparently.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, stabilize your workforce, and develop your talent better

"Management by Balance Sheet/P+L and Pressure"

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

International company, so great opportunities to work in other countries.
    150 years old, so good heritage and known brand.
    Good base to get a grounding early in your career.
    Stock is available, but it is a UK company.
    Benefits plan is not too bad, including medical.

Cons

Pressured culture - performance management and KPIs, with the P+L and cash being the key measures. Seems little respect for employees as other than workers.
    Loads of reporting, weekly plans, and then review against those plans. Kai zen action planning. Little time to engage with customers.
    CEO sets extremely aggressive targets, is demanding and can be rude and disrespectful in demeanor.
    Career advancement is difficult, with many executive positions filled from auto company, Inchcape.
    Work - life balance is not respected. Employees told to be 10X better than everyone else.

Advice to Management

If you want to be best in the Industry, you need to invest in the labs and equipment, and not just run them for the short term, as you will not have a business in the longer term. Try and stop the amount of daily and weekly reporting as it is taking up so much of your management time in just internal reporting and discussions.

"Do not apply...run and hide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intertek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and middle management...they all work so hard and are supportive with little to no gratitude from upper management.

Cons

The whole place is a cluster**** being held together by competent middle management/associates and being destroyed by upper management. Yelling at employees, passive aggressive comments, flat out lies, laying off many employees a week before the holidays. Who does that!?

Advice to Management

Take a good, long, look in the mirror and think about what type of person you are....then leave the company. (Disclaimer: This is for the San Diego, CA office)

"No support, no training"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the day your hired you have 4 weeks PTO. You don't have to clock in or out and your not micro managed

Cons

Management is horrible! Lack of support, no training. Treat employees with little to no respect. Everyone back stabs and looks out for themselves

Advice to Management

You need to restructure and rehire some of your key kogs. As some who have been with the company for many years feel as if they can talk to employees as they want. Support and train new hires

10. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn sales

Cons

To much competition with other Intertek teams for the same customer.

"Lab technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Harker Heights, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in Harker Heights, TX

I have been working at Intertek full-time

Pros

I can't think think of any.

Cons

No communication, people are staying certified in things that they don't even do, employees are severely under paid, they say you will doing one thing but sneak their way into making you do other things. I found out what people are really making and some techs are making more than 3x the amount I am with less than a years experience. Just an overall shady operation. No family time, completely unorganized

Advice to Management

Understand that not all of your employees are oblivious to the situations going on around them.