Intertek Reviews | Glassdoor

Intertek Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work life balance if you have the right job and boss (in 14 reviews)

• Respecting and pretty lenient work environment it was (in 27 reviews)

Cons

1. "Unprofessional Incompetent no value of employees"

Former Employee - Pilot Plant Operatot in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Pilot Plant Operatot in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When work is available it's is good work and time passes. Regular employees operate as a team like family. Paid holidays 2 weeks vacation 2 weeks sick time for new employees

Cons

BS training insufficient wages compared to industry standard poor management causes lack of projects dated equipment prevents influx of projects very unprofessional management engineering passes their task to operators very lackluster value of employees rotating 7 day schedule with 6th and 7th days falling so only 1 day of overtime per month short handed 80% of the time

Advice to Management

Formal training fair compensation bring equipment up to date or at least to safe functional operation

2. ""Lab Technician. Just do it and don't ask why.""

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You got paid company holidays.

I really don't know what else to say.

I hated going to sleep knowing I had to go to work.

Cons

Ridiculous hours.

Rotating schedule.

Taking a day off when you're sick was a super inconvenience to everyone.

LOW PAY!

Horrible managers who only care about results and NOT YOU.

BROKEN EQUIPMENT!

Horrible laboratory environment.

HORRIBLE TRAINING.

ONLINE TRAINING IS IRRELEVANT.

Coordinators don't care about you. They care about results.

TRAINING is not about WHY but HOW you do something and WHAT to report.

Never reimbursed for expenses!

Advice to Management

I really don't know what to say. It was just a horrible experience from HR all the way to training.

It sucks that clients have a non-experienced, badly trained, employee, behind the wheel doing all the test methods for a very important job(s).

Never will I recommend this company to anyone.

3. "Unreliable Disorganized Company"

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

Some good coworkers who can be fun sometimes as well

Cons

They are highly unreliable, disorganized, and layoffs occur all the time. They don't stick to what they say. They often make people work jobs that they didn't sign up for. I've seen people start the job and within a few weeks, they are getting assigned to a completely new role whether they like it or not and somehow they expect people to actually stay. Often time, the role an employee gets reassigned to will not work out well because they often just make the decision from up above without knowing much about the situation. They make false promises while never planning to honor those assurances. A manager will sometimes promise an employee one thing, while they are actually trying to prevent that thing when talking to other management. If they just didn't think that the person was right for certain positions or opportunities, that would be fine. However, they are very manipulative about it to a degree that I have never seen at any other employer. The company is also very disorganized and there seems to be a big round of layoffs about every 3 months or so with some other firings here and there in between. They constantly change their minds about whether they need to be hiring people or laying people off. I've seen people stay and put up with a lot of stress because of false assurances they were given about their career advancement, and they often just get fired at the end of wasting their time there when they could have been looking for better positions. The VP and operations supervisor make terrible decisions and they both seem quite ingenuine. Those two seem help to cause many of the problems that I mentioned. I heard the VP got let go but the operations supervisor is still there and she is still doing a lot of the same things apparently.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, stabilize your workforce, and develop your talent better

"Management by Balance Sheet/P+L and Pressure"

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

International company, so great opportunities to work in other countries.
    150 years old, so good heritage and known brand.
    Good base to get a grounding early in your career.
    Stock is available, but it is a UK company.
    Benefits plan is not too bad, including medical.

Cons

Pressured culture - performance management and KPIs, with the P+L and cash being the key measures. Seems little respect for employees as other than workers.
    Loads of reporting, weekly plans, and then review against those plans. Kai zen action planning. Little time to engage with customers.
    CEO sets extremely aggressive targets, is demanding and can be rude and disrespectful in demeanor.
    Career advancement is difficult, with many executive positions filled from auto company, Inchcape.
    Work - life balance is not respected. Employees told to be 10X better than everyone else.

Advice to Management

If you want to be best in the Industry, you need to invest in the labs and equipment, and not just run them for the short term, as you will not have a business in the longer term. Try and stop the amount of daily and weekly reporting as it is taking up so much of your management time in just internal reporting and discussions.

"Wonderful people, terrible management"

Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intertek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here were the reason I came to work every day. The work is interesting and perhaps unbeknownst to management, you have a lot of freedom to come and go during long incubations.

Cons

I worked here for 4.5 months and witnessed four layoffs in that time, the last of which I fell victim to. Management hires lot of people when there's a lot of work, wastes thousands of dollars training them, and then lays everyone off when work starts to slow down again. They even called me back to see if I wanted my old job back, but for a $6/hr pay cut. Insulting. Towards the end, people started to get competitive and catty just to get ahead so they would keep their job.

Advice to Management

Hire good people, train them and keep them. You're getting a reputation for being a volatile and unstable company and that will eventually cause prospective employees to skip right over your listings.

7. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours with a hands-off management style means that you have a lot of autonomy

Cons

Quick project completion requires good individual project management and time budgeting skills to be sucessful

8. "Sales Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Intertek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and time off

Cons

Monthly sales goals are not based on anything in particular and raised at any time. They do not help with client facing or building numbers. You do all your own work from paperwork to meeting with clients. All the large clients are taken by people who have been there for a while.

Advice to Management

Do not hire someone into a job that is not needed. Move empoloyees to where they would benefit the most. I was a very hard worker and dedicated to the company they lost a great person! But they didnt care.

9. "engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Intertek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

learn by yourself, good employees

Cons

companay is mean, low pay

"Do not apply...run and hide"

I worked at Intertek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and middle management...they all work so hard and are supportive with little to no gratitude from upper management.

Cons

The whole place is a cluster**** being held together by competent middle management/associates and being destroyed by upper management. Yelling at employees, passive aggressive comments, flat out lies, laying off many employees a week before the holidays. Who does that!?

Advice to Management

Take a good, long, look in the mirror and think about what type of person you are....then leave the company. (Disclaimer: This is for the San Diego, CA office)

"No support, no training"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the day your hired you have 4 weeks PTO. You don't have to clock in or out and your not micro managed

Cons

Management is horrible! Lack of support, no training. Treat employees with little to no respect. Everyone back stabs and looks out for themselves

Advice to Management

You need to restructure and rehire some of your key kogs. As some who have been with the company for many years feel as if they can talk to employees as they want. Support and train new hires