Intertek Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management was flakey in our part of the country (in 27 reviews)

• Work - life balance is not respected (in 13 reviews)

1. "AVOID - Keep looking"

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

Brand name, some good people

Cons

Good people will leave for better opportunities, void of competent management, be prepared to fund your own expenses as reimbursement may take 2-3 months, no training, chaotic environment without definition of roles or responsibilities, crazy demotivating goals and commission structures, poor culture, many very unhappy employees

Advice to Management

No point to providing advice as they are not interested.

2. "It could be better but could be way worse"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, Family friendly.

Cons

All about the Money ALL the time. Talk about all the money made but then give you a 2% increase.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

3. "Unreliable Disorganized Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

Some good coworkers who can be fun sometimes as well

Cons

They are highly unreliable, disorganized, and layoffs occur all the time. They don't stick to what they say. They often make people work jobs that they didn't sign up for. I've seen people start the job and within a few weeks, they are getting assigned to a completely new role whether they like it or not and somehow they expect people to actually stay. Often time, the role an employee gets reassigned to will not work out well because they often just make the decision from up above without knowing much about the situation. They make false promises while never planning to honor those assurances. A manager will sometimes promise an employee one thing, while they are actually trying to prevent that thing when talking to other management. If they just didn't think that the person was right for certain positions or opportunities, that would be fine. However, they are very manipulative about it to a degree that I have never seen at any other employer. The company is also very disorganized and there seems to be a big round of layoffs about every 3 months or so with some other firings here and there in between. They constantly change their minds about whether they need to be hiring people or laying people off. I've seen people stay and put up with a lot of stress because of false assurances they were given about their career advancement, and they often just get fired at the end of wasting their time there when they could have been looking for better positions. The VP and operations supervisor make terrible decisions and they both seem quite ingenuine. Those two seem help to cause many of the problems that I mentioned. I heard the VP got let go but the operations supervisor is still there and she is still doing a lot of the same things apparently.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, stabilize your workforce, and develop your talent better

"Safety Engineer"

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Lots of vacation
    Good executive team

Cons

Bad middle management
    Management does not know how to treat any part of the business that involves anything other than testing to a protocol
    No clear career advancement path

Advice to Management

Create a way for people to grow
    Identify top talent early and cultivate
    Be open to new ways of establishing performance metrics

"Management by Balance Sheet/P+L and Pressure"

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

International company, so great opportunities to work in other countries.
    150 years old, so good heritage and known brand.
    Good base to get a grounding early in your career.
    Stock is available, but it is a UK company.
    Benefits plan is not too bad, including medical.

Cons

Pressured culture - performance management and KPIs, with the P+L and cash being the key measures. Seems little respect for employees as other than workers.
    Loads of reporting, weekly plans, and then review against those plans. Kai zen action planning. Little time to engage with customers.
    CEO sets extremely aggressive targets, is demanding and can be rude and disrespectful in demeanor.
    Career advancement is difficult, with many executive positions filled from auto company, Inchcape.
    Work - life balance is not respected. Employees told to be 10X better than everyone else.

Advice to Management

If you want to be best in the Industry, you need to invest in the labs and equipment, and not just run them for the short term, as you will not have a business in the longer term. Try and stop the amount of daily and weekly reporting as it is taking up so much of your management time in just internal reporting and discussions.

"Wonderful people, terrible management"

Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intertek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here were the reason I came to work every day. The work is interesting and perhaps unbeknownst to management, you have a lot of freedom to come and go during long incubations.

Cons

I worked here for 4.5 months and witnessed four layoffs in that time, the last of which I fell victim to. Management hires lot of people when there's a lot of work, wastes thousands of dollars training them, and then lays everyone off when work starts to slow down again. They even called me back to see if I wanted my old job back, but for a $6/hr pay cut. Insulting. Towards the end, people started to get competitive and catty just to get ahead so they would keep their job.

Advice to Management

Hire good people, train them and keep them. You're getting a reputation for being a volatile and unstable company and that will eventually cause prospective employees to skip right over your listings.

"No respect for employees. At any level"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician

I worked at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience to help to get you a better job
    You'll get paid. Not much, but you'll get paid.
    And I made some good friends.

Cons

Asked to work a ridiculous amount of hours. No acknowledgement from bosses about how much you work - it's just expected. Bosses under pressure from upper management to make high revenue. Upper management makes terrible decisions; the entire company will agree with me on this. Incredibly stressful job that shouldn't be nearly as stressful. Culture of nonstop work. The company doesn't value their customers or employees. Proposed solutions to problems are immediately shot down. A trap of a company. They'll never keep good workers.

Advice to Management

Make a drastic change soon or else you will continue to direct the company in a downward spiral. God bless and good riddance

"Could be better"

I have been working at Intertek full-time

Pros

Good health benefits, generous vacation and paid holidays. Good core group of people to work with. Managers do the best they can with what they have.

Cons

Senior management is slow to react to urgent situations. No structure, somewhat chaotic atmosphere. CEO is rude and has a negative demeanor. Career opportunities can be hard to come by.

Advice to Management

All of the upper level management needs to be more in tune with the employees on the front line. Listen to the people who are working for you, you might be surprised what you find out.

"Need to Invest in Engineers"

I have been working at Intertek full-time

Pros

Pay well upon entering company. Depending upon the lab your in, the office environment is fun.

Cons

Disorganized, short-term thinking, little value of the employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and they will invest in you

10. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours with a hands-off management style means that you have a lot of autonomy

Cons

Quick project completion requires good individual project management and time budgeting skills to be sucessful