Intrawest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Intrawest Chief Executive Officer Tom Marano
Tom Marano

Pros
  • Free ski pass, co-workers typically all very passionate about the outdoors and active lifestyle (in 9 reviews)

• Ski pass, great location, co workers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Usually have to have two jobs to survive at a resort (in 7 reviews)

• Management is only driven by Fortress group desire to raise the share price (in 5 reviews)

1. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Intrawest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part is the Professional atmosphere with in house legal team. Amazing office location downtown near the coolers Field.

Cons

There is a lot of room for growth and cross departmental experiences between marketing and sales and finance and customer relationship management and information technology

2. "Ski Resort"

Pros

Living in the mountains is the best way to live

Cons

High end jobs few and far between. Usually have to have two jobs to survive at a resort

3. "Chef"

Former Employee - Chef in Hot Springs, VA
    Former Employee - Chef in Hot Springs, VA

Pros

The employees that work there are some of the best people you will ever meet! Great team members and just good people

Cons

Pay is way below what it THE industry standard! Especially for management also not very gender friendly in management I worked close to 16 hours a day while my male
    Counter parts worked 8 to 10'and had 2 days off a week while plenty of weeks I worked 6 sometimes 7 This made my hourly pay close to 8.35 an hour. Higher management always had time to ski and criticize. I had gone from a 5 star resort to Snowshoe so I guess I could have had to high expectations but I felt used and lied too. My chef told me we made our time up in the summer It the long time employees said that since I was salary they would make me work long hours all summer so as not to use the hourly employees At the end of the season I placed my 2 week notice. I spoke to the HR director as an exit interview. But speaking to all my friends from up on the Shoe it's business as usual! With the new federal law hopefully the new salaried employees will at least get their Just pay. I was the only woman salaried chef and from what I could determine I was paid 4 to 6 thousand dollars less a year.

Advice to Management

I gave an exit interview.

"Denver IT - toxic and unstable."

I worked at Intrawest (More than a year)

Pros

CIO assembled a really strong, competent and fun team.

Good location and great work space.

Ski industry is fun and interesting.

Cons

CIO fired or frustrated most of that great team he assembled into leaving. Most of the rest of IT are trying to find another job.

The only goal is to save costs mostly through headcount reductions. No thought to consequences of work or impact on people.

Eliminated roles like head of Data and head of Security and consolidated them with people who have limited experience or a real conflict of interest. Work is still needed, just fewer people and a lot less expertise.

Very unstable and you never know when the next wave of reductions will happen. Twice they promised no more and then more happened.

Management is only driven by Fortress group desire to raise the share price. So, reduce costs, reduce costs, reduce costs.

Advice to Management

It was a good place for about a year. And then it really wasn't. Very toxic environment full of rumors and worried, unhappy people.

For those seeking a role in IT Denver, beware. The CIO is an interpersonal disaster, who is disliked and not respected by anyone in Denver or resorts. He has limited IT knowledge and experience, despite having been a CIO previously. Scratch the surface, and there just isn't much there. If he listened to or consulted with his team, might be be okay. But that doesn't happen. And he has no problem firing people who have been there less than 6 months only to save costs (not performance based).

VPs and Directors reporting to him are generally really good. Working for them is mostly reasonable and normal (if they don't quit or get fired), but the rest of the environment is really tough right now.

Intrawest Response

Dec 15, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your views about your experience at Intrawest. Candid responses like this provide us an opportunity to evaluate and take positive actions to help all employees become more informed ... More

"Former Retail Manager"

Pros

Fun work environment and locations.

Cons

Pay is below industry levels

"At Headquarters: Jump while you can"

Current Employee - Program Function in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Function in Denver, CO

I have been working at Intrawest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free resort passes. Denver LoDo location. Reasonable pay if the job is not eliminated.

Cons

The executive team is just guessing. The Fortress Investment Group tells the company to cut costs regardless of logic. Some of the best people in the company are eliminated to quickly save money or because they disagreed with the executives. Most of us now are hiding to avoid the next round of position eliminations. All the work from the recent eliminations are dumped on those of us that are still here. The smart and lucky ones have found jobs elsewhere. I'm frantically looking. Bottom line it is obvious this company is looking to sell of many of its resort properties and dump more dedicated staff. We assume this triggers bonuses to the c-level execs to save short run costs. Staff on two floors now collapsed to one at headquarters in the past month.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to new hires about the stability and good opportunities that await. Be truthful and transparent. Maybe listen to the talent that you have versus making ill advised decisions.

Intrawest Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Director, Talent Management

Thank you for your candid feedback - we welcome the opportunity to respond, and to hopefully react in a positive way to help all employees feel a better sense of communication and transparency ... More

8. "Intrawest Steamboat Lifts & Ski instructor"

Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Steamboat Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Steamboat Springs, CO

I worked at Intrawest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a Lift Operator and Ski Instructor for Intrawest in Steamboat Springs Colorado. First let me say that this was one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. I moved across the country and was provided a place to stay and a minimum paying job in one of the most beautiful places in the country. The pay isn't great but the mountain lifestyle is rewarding. There are a lot of good people in the employee housing for pretty cheep but if you live there more then one season you will want to move out.

Free ski pass
    Meet great people
    Ski every day

Cons

Low pay, early mornings, company could care less about you

Advice to Management

Pretty sure the management doesn't care what I say, which is the downside of a huge multi-nationals coming into amazing small towns.

"once loved company gone away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Intrawest full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

hard to find a reason to stay. Working in the ski industry can be fun, work life balance was always a key part of the industry but those days are gone at the corporate office.

Cons

The office culture has shifted to management by fear. no clear leadership or vision. only goal is higher stock price for the short term.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the team. Share the vision and direction, employees should not be looking over their shoulder daily wondering if theirs is the next job to be cut.

10. "stratton"

Former Employee - cres in Stratton, VT
    Former Employee - cres in Stratton, VT

Pros

always jobs available in winter, Lots of skiing perks. Easy to get hired but pay is pretty low. Employees are fun to work with.

Cons

Cares way more about guests than employess. Does not back up staff when customers are being incredibly rude and demanding,

Advice to Management

treat your employees better

"Snowshoe"

Current Employee - Financial Reporting Accountant in Snowshoe, WV
    Current Employee - Financial Reporting Accountant in Snowshoe, WV

I have been working at Intrawest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful location, great co workers, recreational perks, some discounts on retail food etc... some housing if you're lucky. remote location with very rural community. Decent weather.

Cons

Management at the higher level is fairly inscestual with little opportunity for outside influences to help steer the company. Smart employees are constantly loss because of poor executive level employee management. Senior team is over compensated with not trickle down. Nonsensical combinations of business units at the senior level reduce the opportunity for good managers to move up. (IT+F&B+Maintenance combo for example) COO is not involved with employees or community.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to start looking a little closer to the operations teams at the resorts. Denver seems as unconcerned about employees as the resort level. A lot of talk about a employee culture but zero implementation due to a weak senior team and COO.