Intrinsyc Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Tracy A. Rees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent company with good embedded software technology capabiliities"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Benefits, salary and work-life balance were all good.

Cons

Ability to respond to changes in business realities was very limiting

"Trouble Ahead Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good teamwork ethic and a customer centric product team driven to perform. Some solid engineering talent remains, although the brain drain is rapidly becoming evident. Caring employees with a desire to succeed.

Cons

Executive management continues to manage for the very near term. A culture of pursuing opportunities that are outside the core competence of the company results in sacrificing stability and consistency. Chronically behind in scheduled deliveries to customers. Layoffs have decimated the company leaving little expertise in core businesses and emerging technologies. Sales team seems unfocused and could use serious upgrades.

Advice to Management

It is time to stop cutting corners. Either sell off your assets and return some value to shareholders or put some needed emphasis on building the business.

"Intrinsyc Software outsources to China"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The benefits were great especially the health care benefits. Also a nice group of people to work with.

Cons

Very bad management decisions in the last year. Gave away services to a potential customer with no guarantee of a return. Bought a small company in China and proceed to lay off the entire Bellevue office and outsource jobs to China. Tacky. Upper management to far removed from the people who actually do all the work.

Advice to Management

Scrum is a waste of time. Passing up good people for promotion and hiring from outside is bad for morale especially considering the quality of people who were hired. Need better sales people too.

"Intrinsyc is a great company to work for if you like programming for devices"

Current Employee - Setup Engineer
    Current Employee - Setup Engineer

Pros

It was an challenging environment with very talented and decicated employees. They had some of the best medical and dental benefits that I have ever had. The work was appropriate for my skills and kept challenging me to learn more each day. The company is international and headquarted in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I thought this would be a detriment, but it didn't seem to be at all. The management flew around to all the locations to try and keep the employees abreast of the latest changes in the company and the software product lines. The vacation and sick time benefits were also very good.

Cons

I did have many weeks where I would work way more than 40 hours. In the setup area I had to fix problems that might occur in the build of the setups at odd hours of the day and week, even weekends. So at times I was tied to my computer at work and after hours at home. If I left town for vacations, I usually took my laptop with me so that I could keep abreast of what was happening at work and make any changes when needed. Also, there were times when we could have been better kept knowlegeable of the product directions being sought by customers.

Advice to Management

There should have been more people keeping the employees up to date on product acceptance and things we could have done to make the products more enticing to the customers.

5. "Good Company"

I worked at Intrinsyc Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Newer Technologies, Good Management, Life/Work balanced

Cons

I didn't see any cons there.

6. "Worst employment experience of my career."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Intrinsyc Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Located in downtown Vancouver which provided fabulous choices for mid-day eating as well as beautiful areas in which to walk and get fressh air very nearby. For those who wished to shop, the Pacific Centre was just steps from entrance to office building. We got to watch the Canada Line being installed under Granville as well. Fun times!

Also, fairly decent salary was offered (to me at least) and many of my fellow developers were some of the best folks I've met since coming to BC for this job.

Cons

Unimpressed with management at all levels at the time I was there and during dealings with them while on LTD. (2006 to - hard to say for certain but 2013 seems as good a pick as any)

Was hired despite my references never being checked. Was exasperating to deal with HR re: employment contract details, moving expenses, OHSC concerns and my issues with direct manager when environment became extremely hostile and toxic to myself.

Wound up blowing whistle on OHS violations - anonymously at first, but outed myself to senior mgmt when attempt to lay me off was undertaken by them and declined by me. (Unsure whether HR was privy to this move since not in attendance at meeting and I didn't ever read what was in folder I refused to accept.)

Later was denied accommodation for (known to them) nerve problems that flared up during very stressful time - personally and professionally - instead was made to accept LTD which became another disagreeable, stressful encounter with the worst insurance company in Canada (judging from number of lawsuits successfully taken against them) for provision of employee health benefits. (Much more on this but not time or place to disclose just yet.)

Advice to Management

Luckily most of original upper management has moved on. But to the current management, I would say:

"You can and could have done better. Hope you are doing better by current employees."

7. "Great place to work on latest technology, especially Qualcomm."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Intrinsyc Software full-time

Pros

If you like working on the latest ARM based processors from Qualcomm and new applications like augmented reality and robotics, then Intrinsyc is the company for you. Work is interesting. Company is growing. Management treats employees well.

Cons

Need to expand office with more lab space and private rooms.

Advice to Management

Doing great. Improve facility.

"Overall good"

I worked at Intrinsyc Software full-time

Pros

Provides you with good opportunities for advancement if you step up and show you are capable of more responsibility or a higher level position.

Cons

At times the company seems to lose its way and the directions and products it is pursuing turn out to be dead ends. This is not only frustrating but puts the company at risk.

Advice to Management

Make sure that there is much more research done and that the direction the company is heading in really does represent a genuine opportunity.

"Once upon a time...."

Former Employee - Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Intrinsyc Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were generally cool to work with; we had the occasional anger-management case and a raging alcoholic or two, but things were usually smoothed over or fixed.

Cons

Management was cheap like creamed wheat.

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap. When you look at R&D versus Sales and Marketing (also known as S&M), you see how much money goes to each. Programmers get cool stuff, the marketing and sales people enjoy lavish lunches, and the lower-end of the food chain is either eating a slice of pizza or out of a contain brought from home. If you want loyalty in business in this city, you'd better be willing to pay for it.

"My time at Intrinsyc Software"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Intrinsyc Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intrinsyc provided a pretty good company culture and the matching of RRSPs was a nice perk. I did like management, but I hear there have been some changes made since the time I was there.

Cons

Matching RRSP contributions only at the end of the year didn't work in my favour when laid off.