Intuit Interaction Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance - but then it's an employee thing as well" (in 97 reviews)

• Middle management doesn't always make great decisions" (in 74 reviews)

"A mission-driven company where employees come first"

Current Employee - Principal Interaction Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Interaction Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brad is one-in-a-million! I love working for a company that understands that money follows great user-experiences. Brad and Scott set great strategy that's mission-driven and gives me pride in what I work on.

Intuit puts it's employees first, and it shows.

Cons

Despite record profits, the company has pulled back on some of the things that put it there: professional-development (particularly the internal conferences), the Innovation Catalyst Program, and senior User Experience talent. I'm concerned these could cause the company to revert back to it's tech-first ways.

The company isn't very diversified, which means risk, and also means a lot of deep middle-management in each Business Unit. This means too much time spent reporting out and getting consensus, while simultaneously disempowering teams. Directors are famous for swoop-and-poop management. I've worked at much larger companies where I was closer to the CEO in reporting structure.

Promotions can be political and based on your assignment rather than your performance.

Advice to Management

Full speed ahead captain Brad!!!

2. "Great leadership and perks, too much middle-management"

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated well
    CEO & Board make smart, strategic decisions
    Perks and salary are very competitive

Cons

Product work is weak because process and culture is slow to evolve
    Directors and managers think more tactically than strategically, leading to lots of churn

Advice to Management

Remove layers of management or hold managers more accountable. Perhaps more frequent skip levels and cross-department manager reviews.

"Unique culture"

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intuit is widely respected in Silicon Valley for being the first consumer software (Quicken) to break out.
    Founder Scott Cook shows up every day, still on site, imparting his vision to the employees.
    Intuit (through Cook) invented the customer-centric approach to software. That is still a very big part of the company culture.
    Experimentation, innovation, and design thinking are all championed here.
    Excellent pay and benefits (but note below what is the downside of that).

Cons

Lack of diversity is a real hindrance to Intuit's 21st century growth. The execs are drawn primarily from Ivy League schools, + MBAs, with a finishing polish at a consulting co such as BCG, Bain, McKinsey.

At the 5,000+ employee scale, politics are obviously going to be a crucial determinant. Because of executives' white-bread background, there's an additional weird veneer of niceness.

Intuit's developers and managers all make bank. That's not so bad, right? The downside: People stay here forever, because they don't believe they could sustain their high salary on the open market.

Advice to Management

Brad Smith, the CEO, is widely respected, not just by me. I wouldn't be able to to give tips to him about how to ride the whale better. Yes, there are problems with speed to market, with in-fighting, with smugness about how good the products currently are.
    Honestly, Intuit's doing better than America today

"Experience"

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compony to work with. They really care about employees. Your peers are super nice!!

Cons

Hmm...communication sometimes can be more direct.

"Awesome structure in place for design. Amazing designers to learn from. Great work/life balance. But slow implementation"

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are super nice across all products and functions, so it's easy to get along with coworkers. Lots of super smart people, yet super humble at the same time. This is my first corporate job, and I had expected it be a lot more political, cut-throat and (unnecessarily) competitive among employees. I was surprised at how awesomely chill people are here. I love the people that I work with!

Intuit has a design thinking process called Design For Delight (D4D) that was first established around 2007/08, and they encourage all (non-design) employees to go through this training. Over the years, so many employees have gone through these D4D trainings, and it has created an amazing culture where even non-designers recognize and appreciate the importance of being a customer-backed company. At every all-hands presentations, the leadership team emphasizes the importance of putting the end user's needs first.

There's a great emphasis from the executive leadership team that customer benefits are the top priority (vs business benefits), which helps us designers a lot because PMs and PD have to also think of these customer benefits. It was a huge strategic shift made 18 months ago, which has been a big boost for designers. You will love it as a designer, since you have a seat at the table when it comes to influencing the product decisions. If your team isn't yet design driven, you are empowered to create that culture yourself.

There's a huge design community -- a lot of amazing talent who bring a great deal of experience, so you have the opportunity for mentorship from these awesome designers!

The benefits are great -- ESPP, year-end bonus, 150% 401k match (vests after 2 years of employment), $650 fitness incentive per year, paycheck credits for health, etc. etc. Work-life balance is unbelievably good. Great flexibility -- most people work from home on Fridays.

Cons

The shadow side of having a culture of 'nice' is that when you need to give constructive feedback, it's hard to do so without coming across as super rude. So you'll learn to be super diplomatic at giving your feedback. I wish sometimes we could be a little more direct so people get it that we want them to change/improve the way they're doing things.

Also, product development and implementation moves at a snail pace. The leadership team have identified this as an opportunity for improvement. As a designer, if you're someone who wants to ship a lot of designs very quickly, you will be disappointed. I’m not saying that you won’t be doing a lot of awesome designs. It’s just that it takes time for those designs to get to the end user.

Also, if you're looking to add a ton of work to your portfolio in a short amount of time, then this is not the place for you. You should go to a start-up or an agency. That said, your portfolio coming out of here may not have a ton of projects (quantity), but they will demonstrate depth of problem solving and execution, that perhaps you can't do at agency level (quality).

The decision making process is slow since designers need to align at an ecosystem level -- so prepare to present your work over and over to different levels of leadership. It can be taxing when you have to spend so much time preparing and delivering these presentations. And you have to learn to filter the conflicting feedback you get from each meeting. It can be discouraging at times.

Advice to Management

Reduce the number of meetings. I know that every year, the leadership team says we're going to reduce meetings by X%, but within a few months, we go back to having way too many meetings.

Help accelerate decision-making process. Things move too slow.

Please hire awesome front-end developers, or move front-end UI engineering under XD (and not PD). That way you can have XD own the front-end experience instead of having to rely on full-stack engineers who have very little front-end experience. We spend so much time coming up with clean, beautiful designs, and it sucks when the engineer can't implement them because of lack of appropriate skills.

"not as design-led as I had hoped"

Current Employee - Principal Interaction Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Interaction Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible, good compensation, and good benefits. Everyone at the company is very considerate of family issues and responsibilities.

Cons

lots of discussions and meetings, but very little quality work produced. not the right environment for talented creatives... at least not in Marketing. I think within product teams, it may be different. QuickBooks Online product teams, Turbo Tax and possibly even Mint are more design-led.

Advice to Management

take more risks and solidly support your team.

"Treats you right"

Current Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Very well compensated
    -Stable company
    -Cares about innovation, keeping up with technology
    -Nice perks, happy hours, outings, etc

Cons

-I don't see a lot of women in high positions
    -Way too many meaningless meetings
    -Relies on email to get stuff done
    -Lots of reorgs, maybe 1/year

"Very customer-focused company"

Former Employee - Principal Interaction Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Interaction Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intuit has a lot going for it, especially with the pervasive focus on the customer. Nice facilities, especially at the Mountain View headquarters and in San Diego.

Cons

It can get crazy there, with a relentless push to deliver and to innovate. I know people who are unable to take vacations without getting seriously dinged for it, or are unable to do service projects even when their primary work is under control.

Advice to Management

Make sure that Intuit's people-oriented values really do pervade the organization.

10. "I like working for Intuit"

Current Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Work life balance. Undergoing a lot of changes. Exciting time to be part of the journey

Cons

too many old legacy products that prohibits innovation

Advice to Management

Please hire more creative people to make our products better

"Generally a very good place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Work-life balance, compensation, strong focus on customers. Do treat employees with a great deal of respect.

Cons

Complex organization structures and issues making decisions efficiently.

Advice to Management

More needs to be done to break down organizational barriers.