Intuit Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

San Diego, CA

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Traffic is absolutely crazy around the area (on the life side of the work/life balance) (in 127 reviews)

• Decision making in middle management is something that is getting better but still a struggle (in 88 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer 2"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance, Career growth opportunities, New technologies to work on

Cons

None as of now

2. "A company that truly values employees, innovation, and customers"

Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intuit is a place where your individual contribution can actually be seen and felt by millions of customers. What I put into this job is what I get out of it (and more!). Truly feel valued as an employee and as a thought partner when it comes to the strategy and direction of the product. Leadership has invested in growing individuals as well as managers to better lead.

Cons

- Sometimes too any chefs in the kitchen (could use fewer stakeholders)
    - Startup mentality means that some project teams flounder without process

Advice to Management

Love the culture and values at the company! Would like to see continued tops down commitment on growing the focus of managers.

3. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, Compensation, Flexibility, 401k, Perks

Cons

Medical - Don't take me wrong. Medical coverage is very good but I had better coverage earlier. I believe there is some scope for changes to make it better.

4. "Great culture, life balance, amenities and pay"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Intuit is an excellent company to work for. There are excellent perks and benefits including bonuses of various types. The people at Intuit are of the highest caliber and are heavily vetted. The culture is similar to what people might expect at tech giants such as Google or Facebook. In the San Diego campus they have a large cafeteria, gym, volleyball, full outdoor basketball court, bbq etc. Intuit is also known for hosting several tech meetups and socials with alcohol to keep up moral.

Cons

There's a lot of turnover. The company is heavily tax focused which means its seasonal and engineers are typically contracted between August and roll-off in April as the tax season ends. I've seen only 1 contractor conversion in 18 months out of 50 plus engineers whom maxed out their contracts. Intuit also has an 18 month policy for contractors where they must leave for 3 months before possibly being invited back. The reason for so little conversion is the emphasis on college grads who either interned or was a coop and are offered a position when the graduate. This keeps the headcount stacked before the contractor ever has a chance.

Advice to Management

Try converting more contractors who are good enough to see the maximum 18 month term. This is a huge benefit to the company since knowledge gained and spent on behalf the company stays. I could only imagine how costly the 2-3 months of on-boarding 50 brand new engineers are every year.

5. "Intuit is both a place for professional growth and university for learning"

Current Employee - Technology Evangelist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Evangelist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of amazing technologists who are passionate about the craft and about the unique problems we solve at Intuit.
    Lots of opportunities for growing career - whether up or to another type of role...I'm a great example.
    We are obsessed with our customer and a lot of focus on design thinking

Cons

We are still in the journey to ensure that all of us ( at all level and at all roles) keep the end customer in mind when we create our solutions.

Advice to Management

We need to continue to celebrate technologies and technologists.

6. "Genuinely Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Intuit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy + Flexibility + Collaborative + Selfless = an infectiously good environment to ply one's trade

Cons

Consensus-based decision making, while inclusive, can inadvertently slow the process - seeing an idea into fruition can occasionally require perseverance (but this, in their defense, holds true for most companies of a certain size)

7. "Company creates something that makes financial lives better"

Current Employee - Lead Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location (San Diego), products, compensation

Cons

Slow to make decisions, trying to be a startup but has the baggage of an older company, rules are king instead of principles.

Advice to Management

Place more trust in employees and allow the company's principles and culture to permeate and flourish, instead of codifying how employees should behave.

8. "Inspirational leader, Culture that lives it's values"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Do what we say! I love working at a company where we live by our values. Leadership all the way from our CEO Brad Smith, down, exhibit our values in everything we do- and it inspires me every day. The work is meaningful and I feel challenged every day. My peers are fun to work with, supportive and inspire me to deliver and work hard.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time!

9. "Do what you say, say what you do"

Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

While many organizations pay lip service to their "mantra" and company values, Intuit actually lives by them resulting in consistently best places to work.

Cons

There may be challenges sometimes finding the right talent to fill the right roles

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. "It really is about the people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are many companies that say the care about their employees, but Intuit really really truly cares -- not just about their well-being, but about their career development and how they are treated. There are great HR programs and leadership programs to help people really thrive. Our leaders talk about how important leadership is--it's expected of everyone--and everyone has an opportunity to be a leader (not just a people manager). We may not have the free food or happy hour every week, but where it matters most, Intuit rocks!

Cons

Because we're so people centric, the downside is that we're constantly trying to make sure we're "brining people along" when decisions are made or change is happening. It's the right intent but it can slow things down and frustrate people. We need to get better at times of causing friction and getting some people angry, in order to move fast and get stuff done!

Advice to Management

Be examples of how to remove barriers quickly - don't be the barrier!

Showing 408 of 3,676 reviews