Intuit Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Senior Software Engineer

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance at times is stretched - commute (for me) is one of the primary impacts to work life balance" (in 133 reviews)

• "Maybe even get rid of a couple layers of middle-management" (in 93 reviews)

1. "5 Years at Intuit"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learn a lot. Great people. Great work resources and environment. Good amenities. Good work life balance

Cons

Periodic reorganizations. Lack of whitespace time. Slow to innovate. Some legacy systems.

Advice to Management

Weed out bad managers

"5 years review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good 401k plan, good vacation time, good work/life balance, competitive base salary, the stock price is doing pretty good, good fitness incentive program, free phone with basic storage option, lots of opportunities if you would like to practice public speaking, free tax software while you are an employee and good discount for friends and family

Cons

you will find there are lots of politics if you stick around long enough; as a reward for staying 5 years in the company is only $250 dollars, I think there should be a sabbatical as a benefit to encourage ppl's loyalty; maternity leave is only 8 weeks, not competitive with top companies and honestly it's not much if you need to take care of a newborn baby; stock refresh amount is not a lot.

Advice to Management

suggest having the sabbatical as an encouragement for people to stick around relatively longer and increase the maternity leave

"Sr Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intuit strives to buy the best talent they can find. You’ll be well paid for what you do, and if you’re good they will slap on the golden handcuffs making leaving a painful endeavor.

For the most part, the engineers, analysts, experience designers, quality folks, and devOps are great. Management and architects... see cons.

Cons

So, this company functions by asking it’s more senior engineers to scope out projects months in advance — this is your commitment. Various department heads will then “mandate” certain metrics (quality metrics, perf metrics, deployment metrics, etc) — this all the other work you have to get done for your calibration to work out, and this is how they squeeze just that little bit extra out of you. I wouldn’t not work here for this reason alone, but it’s a nice to know.

Now, the management is straight up incompetent for the most part. I had a few different managers in my tenure there, and one was pretty good, but for the most part they are not technical and they aren’t good at managing, whatever that might mean. The standard manager has 9 hours of meetings a day, and if they all disappeared, I’m not sure anyone would notice.

The architects are where this company goes from a 7.5 to a 4. This elite group of engineers (typically from principle up) probably knows the right thing to do, but they all get caught up with their egos and force their pet projects into the rest of the company with tremendous impact.

If you want to get ahead, buddy up with an architect, do his (it’s always a guy) pet project, and you’ll be promoted, period. Don’t buddy up, and you’ll retain your current title until you die — it’s just the way the Intuit promotion game works.

Ultimately it’s the architects’ egos that find Intuit, time and again, feeling the need to (re)invent new and horrific frameworks. This issue is most apparent on the front-end where you will be asked to implement a handful of in-house technologies which if the real world knew were running their tax and business software, they’d all lose faith in the Intuit brand and probably humanity as a whole. Forget contributing to the open source community — we’re practically forbidden from using what’s out there.

The ideas underlying the frameworks aren’t necessary bad, but the implementation is. But again, it’s not the top engineers doing the work — it’s the engineers that want to get promoted. It would seem then, that architects are rewarded by what’s delivered on the surface. Hey, I got x number of teams to use my framework. It doesn’t matter that the framework is garbage, it just matters that we’re all using it.

Make no mistake. Intuit is not an technology company. It is a product company. There is serious technological shortcoming at the highest ranks and built into the culture.

Advice to Management

Flatten the org. Get rid of all the architects and dev-managers. Get your top engineers together and build a technology company that builds products, not a product company that uses technology. Or do nothing (the stock price keeps rising).

4. "Good Company to work for :)"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Work Life balance
    More supplementary benefits

Cons

Teams work in silos and difficult to push things forward that might lead to frustration sometimes

Advice to Management

When acquiring companies, move people(at all levels) around every few years to get intuit culture across the board and not leave the acquired company's culture stay forever

5. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Proper work life balance.
    Nice compensation and perks.

Cons

Nothing I can think off.

"Senior Software Engineer and Apache Drill Committer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's solving good customer problems.

Cons

It has to work on technical brand

Advice to Management

Nothing. It's same as other companies

7. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, Compensation, Flexibility, 401k, Perks

Cons

Medical - Don't take me wrong. Medical coverage is very good but I had better coverage earlier. I believe there is some scope for changes to make it better.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intuit has great benefit, they do 125% match for 401K, good perks like gym, a lot of free food, they're really good at business. Intuit provides tons of opportunity you can study new technology

Cons

A lot of shift-change in the company, they're good at business but not good at technical. May not be good for a technical person.

Advice to Management

Keep doing on you business, don't make Intuit as an Indian company because it's dominated by Indian people, diversity is important.

"Great company if in the write Org"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some orgs (e.g. CTG) do a great job growing their developments. Great events. For most, great salaries.

Cons

PI and CTO in great decline. Bad organizational decisions in CTO and Ebay nepotism has lead to an exodus of great talent. Lack of good AWS direction.

Advice to Management

If you see entire groups up and quit and move together to Terradata, take notice. If you see senior people with 5-10+ years leave despite top performance marks, take notice.

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, good stocks, switches to new technologies

Cons

need to know in and out of accounting