Intuitive Surgical Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Intuitive Surgical President & CEO Gary S. Guthart
Gary S. Guthart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product that impacts the lives of many" (in 18 reviews)

• "The culture understands the importance of work life balance" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance especially at national meetings is concerning" (in 29 reviews)

• "Fast paced work environment can get overwhelming if not organized" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing work place with inspiring people, innovative technology, and solid future"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is great, everyone is empowered to be themselves. The technology and the sheer number of different projects going on at the same time are astounding, definitely not a company that's resting on its laurels even as the market leader in robotic surgery. This is by far the hardest I've ever worked in my life, and I love it. All of my colleagues are super sharp and dedicated. You can tell they put a lot of effort into hiring the right people, and it shows with the insanely low turnover rate.

Cons

Cost of living. But it's an issue anywhere in CA really.
    Growing so fast that some processes are still being developed to keep up.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent. And as growth continues to happen, try and find ways to keep employees connected as a team.

2. "Review"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience was unreal. I loved working here.

Cons

None at all. This is a great place

3. "Amazing Leadership and Products but Workplace Amenities Need Attention"

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Fantastic CEO and executive leadership.
    - Tons of opportunity for growth
    - Very smart people who are committed to the goal of improving patient outcomes.

Cons

Culture is to be in the office at least 8am-5pm. Some groups have flexibility to work from home or remote at times but it feels like your abandoning your trying to get away with something.

No gym and very limited food options and wellness opportunities. Highlights the growth challenges and where the company wants to invest. Hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle when commuting by train and no gym close by when you didn't drive in.

4. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time

Pros

Company culture is open and fair.

Cons

Company is still in the growing phase

5. "Terrible experience with little to look forward to"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Successful product with decent room for improvement

Cons

Intuitive Surgical has a large company culture filled with inexperienced managers who seek to literally plagarise their juniors work as their own. My boss took 3 vacations in one summer and had me finish everything on my own yet claimed he did the work.

The pay is pretty terrible (sub 100k bay area for software engineer???)

And the network is also pretty pathetic. Alot of the guys here use intuitive as a step up from their low paying jobs at boeing or nasa but it certainly is a crush all environment and you will not expect any hands to help you move around the company. They will do their best to suppress you and your income

Advice to Management

Get a clue, youre not the top company for college students to work for.

6. "Impressive results, poor culture"

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time

Pros

Company is doing well, the equity plan compensates for below average salaries.

Cons

The culture within the Finance department is quite poor, with favoritism and politicking quite prevalent. Young leaders are not always equipped or trained to deal with sensitive situations, but rarely face backlash given the favoritism.

7. "Very happy to work here!"

Current Employee - UI & Mobile Developer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - UI & Mobile Developer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Intuitive for 5 months. I really enjoy my job because the projects that I am working on make a great impact on the company. Intuitive also takes in consideration my skills and interests to put me on the projects that I am currently working on. Management and mentors here have a great attitude and push you to do quality work. I feel that the people that work here are very positive because the company is making a product that will help save lives which makes it a great motivation for us to reach our goals. Overall I've really enjoyed my time with the company so far and have learned so much!

Cons

This is a con that I noticed coming into Intuitive that has started to be addressed. I noticed that the company wasn't investing much in young talent, instead they were looking for people with many years of experience. Now that the company is growing at a rapid rate they are looking to hire more young talent from Universities to start building the future of Intuitive.

Advice to Management

My management has been a great support and has been very passionate in what they do. I enjoy working with them.

8. "A Good Company With Some Basic Things That Keep It From Being Great!"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My coworkers at Intuitive Surgical are amazing, I learn something new every day! We are a mission driven company to improve surgical outcomes, I feel a great sense of accomplishment at the end of each work day. There is deep technical and clinical understanding that runs throughout the organization. All in all, it is a great place to work!

Cons

The company is straining on several levels: how to deal with growth, how do we keep what is good about Intuitive Surgical while making necessary changes to evolve. The fact that everything is located in Sunnyvale is both a strength and a weakness. Intuitive is a culture that expects conformity, which is not for everyone. Nepotism issues in HR within product operations place a spotlight on a lack of professionalism and management awareness. The company needs to evolve past the 'who you know' means of management for it to grow and prosper.

Advice to Management

Don't expect all employees to fit a mold. Embrace different styles of leadership and management. Be open to a larger footprint than Sunnyvale. Be mindful that what got us to our current state may not be enough to get us to the next level.

9. "DevOps Engineer"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Intuitive Surgical (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best and latest technologies in this company

Cons

IT Ops team is small

10. "Great IT Dept"

I worked at Intuitive Surgical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working conditions, always a challenge

Cons

Upper level management stuck in their ways

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your employees