InvestingChannel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "You get out what you put in - a great launchpad for a career in digital media"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at InvestingChannel full-time

Pros

There is an opportunity to grow at InvestingChannel if you are willing to seek it out and work for it. The important factor here is that there are people there who are willing to take the time and put in energy to help shape you. You have to put in the work to earn their trust and to execute on the goals/tasks that have been outlined for you. Once you can cover the basics independently, your responsibilities and sphere of influence will grow. There is no textbook or course that can directly prepare you for this experience. InvestingChannel has an environment where you will quickly be looked at as someone who needs to add value in order for the business to move ahead. Every day presents new challenges and finding new, innovative, ways to solve problems is what keeps the job interesting.

Come hungry and curious and the rest will take care of itself.

Cons

As with any company, there are some things that could improve. The first aspect that I would highlight is that there could be more of a cohesion between teams towards a common goal. It seems like each team is rowing in a slightly different direction and this makes it hard to appropriately prioritize tasks and execute. Second, I'd like to see more of a data-driven, fast and iterative decision-making process when it comes to planning projects or partnerships. Finally, I think that having a standard training program for all managers will ensure that each team has a leader with the same base knowledge to help navigate the ins and outs of the business every day. I believe that each one of these points is currently being assessed and addressed accordingly.

Advice to Management

The company has come a long way since its inception and I feel that the groundwork has been laid for much more success for the company in the future. I think the best way to guarantee the type of employees and work-product that you expect is to continue to empower and support the employees. A sense of ownership is critical to prevent a 'tragedy of the commons'. Empowerment is critical to forcing accountability, collaboration, and results which are things that every business wants out of their employees. Just like your employees get out of their experience, what they put in. You will get out of your employees, what you invest in them.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at InvestingChannel full-time

Pros

Working here will provide you a solid opportunity to further educate yourself as long as you can put up with all of the negatives.

Cons

Major identity crisis. They're a digital company who act like they're some major financial firm. They follow the same outdated values and work ethics as Wall Street financial institutions.

Complete disrespect and apathy for their employees. They couldn’t care less for your personal life, family, health, etc. Work always comes first.

They’ll nickel-and-dime you, and their clients, any chance they get. Be prepared for them to low-ball you and fight for your salary. Do not expect any raises or longevity perks. If you want them, you have to fight tooth-and-nail for them.

Terrible hours. When I worked here, they expected you to start work at 9am the latest and leave at 6:30pm or 7pm the earliest. However, they would often pressure you into working even longer hours from 7:30am to 7:30pm. There is no such thing as being unavailable or unplugged in their world. When you return home at night, on the weekends and/or are on vacation, you better be available at all times.

Contractually they offer a 1 hour lunch break but take notice if you take the entire thing. They'd prefer if you eat lunch at your desk and work the entire time.

They love micromanagement. The senior and executive staff often demand to be CC'ed on every email and invited to every call and meeting.

They have no respect for their partners and put their employees in awkward and often immoral positions to push their greedy agenda. They encourage lying and often reprimand employees who they view as being too honest or good to their clients.

Prepare for major hypocrisy as they’ll often get angry or reprimand you for doing something they often do themselves (i.e. work from home, take sick days, unplug on vacation or at night when with family and so on).

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employee's well. The happier they are, the more loyal they'll be and the harder they will work.

Turn down the greed. Stop nickel and diming your clients. You may make short term gains now but you’re hurting your long term profits.

"Producing Value for its Publisher Group, its Advertisers and its Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at InvestingChannel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

InvestingChannel is a start-up that's a few years away from maturation, but has already cultivated a proven strategy for efficaciously reaching the long-tail audience of financial media.

After years of working at organizations that had been around for over half a century, and whose operational architecture had not evolved to accommodate the new, modern design of the marketplace it served, I find it refreshing to work for a company that identified an unaddressed market need in the financial landscape and synthesizes traditional, contemporary and entrepreneurial strategies to address it.

The benefits derived from the business model of InvestingChannel include a highly desirable procurement of revenue for its publisher group. This allows financial publishers to focus on editorial initiatives without spending tremendous resources towards soliciting monetization. The outcome is that publishers are able to produce more premium content, which in turn attracts a better audience, which in turn attracts more advertisers, which in turn produces more monetary resources to the publishers, and so on and so on.

On the advertiser end, InvestingChannel offers a large team to ensure that financial brands are reaching their objectives on all of their campaigns. The company can be both broad and granular in its targeting, and offers a variety of ways to buy media and to reach audiences. I find that we are consistently the partner advertisers turn to when they have incremental spend, and I believe this is because we are highly accessible, unwaveringly able to meet deadlines, and consistently reliable in achieving the results they are seeking.

Finally, as an employee of the company, I find that I am able to have a diversified workload as opposed to performing a monotonous task that wouldn’t allow me to grow professionally. As I write this, the size of the company is still under 40 employees, so not only do I know all of my co-workers, I also work with almost all of them on a weekly basis in some capacity. This provides synergistic learning in that we are able to acquire 360-degree information about our organization, instead of just departmental. I have learned more in one year at this company than I had at four years in one of my previous jobs. I believe that emanates from the size of the company and the space and permission to contribute when/where you want.

Overall, I believe this company is able to produce tremendous value for those who are involved with it.

Cons

No matter how successful any company becomes, there is always room for improvement. Additionally, because companies are composite of numerous individuals with unique personalities and tastes, a con for one employee could be a pro for another.

One of the areas I wish to improve at InvestingChannel is that I believe the culture is fragmented. As I have mentioned previously, I have worked for older companies with thousands of employees. Despite the larger populations of these corporations, I found the culture to be easily identifiable and shared across the board. I had assumed it would be easy to craft a unified culture at a company with only a handful of employees, and yet sometimes in interviews when I am asked to describe the culture, I find myself at a loss of words. Two things stand out:

-Hardworking
    -Productive/Mighty

But as it relates to the interpersonal culture of the organization, I do believe it’s fragmented. Perhaps a more definable culture will coalesce as the company matures.

Another possible con is the sheer volume of the work. This seems to vary from department-to-department, but the team in which I work sometimes has to hustle for consecutive 11-hour days, working through lunch. While I enjoy being busy and meeting deadlines, occasionally this type of working feels heavy and thankless. My saving grace is that there are usually a few other teammates that are there with me in the trenches, and it helps to form a camaraderie that is both caring and encouraging. These people have, over my tenure at the company, also become my closest friends.

Advice to Management

Compensation is usually defined as salary, benefits, bonus, and equity. And of course, I believe there is room to improve here. But where I see the biggest room for improvement is management commendation of employees for their hard work. I believe there are several employees who feel that they are rarely paid in compliments. Accolades and verbal appreciation are free and limitless, and they do make a huge difference in morale.

I have read articles saying that certain generations are more concerned with receiving praise; whereas others are more concerned with making sure subordinates are showing them hierarchical respect. I don’t believe one or the other is the “correct” approach, and they are certainly not mutually exclusive. I believe they could and should both exist in our work environment.

Finally, building trust is another very important part of morale. There have been a few instances where decisions directly affecting employees seemed to have been discussed behind closed doors, and executed in a way that seems very deliberately excluding. While I understand the importance of keeping certain information "privileged" - I think that if company truly wants transparency with its employees, they should provide as much transparency as they can. While in the short-term it might incite pushback, I believe in the long-term is creates a paragon of trust.

"Planning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at InvestingChannel full-time

Pros

Great work environment and freedom to move and grow into a position that is suitable for you and the company. Salaries are competitive. Many small company perks.

Cons

Close quarters / small office accommodations.

"Niche company getting better with time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at InvestingChannel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Good level of exposure in the industry. Good and resourceful people + talent. Some very bright minds working there.

Cons

Management is doing their best to evolve with the times however still don't value current employees enough and give up ownership of certain departments and tasks. Too much micro-management

Advice to Management

Less micro-management, better compensation and bonus structure required for employees.

"Great Place to Learn"

I have been working at InvestingChannel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Collaborative environment
    - Significant growth potential and a clear career trajectory for entry & mid-level employees
    -Significant investment into data management and technology over the past 1-2 years

Cons

Like any small company, resources can be tight at times. However, this enables employees to learn skills outside of their immediate role.

"Don't waste your time"

Pros

Free snacks, free breakfast every Friday, free booze on Friday after 5pm

Cons

Where do I begin? It's a small company with big ambitions and a lack of cohesiveness as well as workplace culture. The teams are very fragmented and clique-like. Don't be surprised to be invited to a party, secretly held from the rest of the team. At the same time, make sure you are ok to be "forgotten" to be invited by other teams. There are a lot of bosses with competing managerial styles and everybody thinks he's better than the other person. The company doesn't even pay market rate, yet, it expects your 100% loyalty. The benefits are also pretty much non-existent. Also, don't expect them to invest in your training. You will probably spend your first couple of months sitting on your pants and reading news. Most importantly, don't be too surprised to be fired once your boss finds out that you can't make your ends meet on such a poor compensation and are looking for a better paying opportunity.

Advice to Management

Come on, guys, don't be double-faced talking about your great corporate culture and firing people for bs reasons!

"Don't Be Fooled In The Interview"

Pros

Okay for someone starting out in online media/advertising to learn the ropes but get out once you have a year of experience, great co-workers minus management.

Cons

Where to start! The office is in Sunshine Suites which is great for start-up companies up to 4 people, not 10 people in a cramped, dark space. This is just the tip of the iceberg but be prepared to be treated as a child because management will do their best to control your life, so you have no work/life balance. The hours are not 9-5 as told in the interview, plan to work from 8:30/8:45 to at least 6pm and be prepared to be on call at night and weekends which is when management sends emails or calls. If you leave a minute before 6, take a lunch, or do not respond to emails late at night or on the weekend, or give suggestions for improvement, be prepared for passive aggressive behavior from management.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and stop with the micromanagement due to fear, remember your hired these people for reasons. Create a process plan and allow employees to do their job without constant approval for frivolous tasks that interns perform at other companies. Be honest with your publishers, clients, and employees.