InvestorPlace Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2020

3.1
InvestorPlace CEO Brian Hunt  (no image)
Brian Hunt
  1. "Amazing Company!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open door policy. Everyone wants you to grow and succeed. Work hard, play hard environment. Lots of happy hours, team outings to reward for our hard work.

Cons

Still growing company, so a lot of "start up" aspects we are trying to perfect

2. "ok place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Rockville, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

management flexible if you're in the right group

Cons

departments don't work well together

3. "Great place for lifelong learners"

5.0
    Current Employee - Editor in Rockville, MD

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked at InvestorPlace for nearly 5 years now, and during that time, I went from freelancing with the company to managing my own team full-time. That's to say the company has a strong track record of promoting from within if you show iniative. As a freelancer, I relished the opportunity to learn something new and get paid to do it. The company paid me to take a crash course in investing, which has proven invaluable to my adult education, let alone my career. The job comes with plenty of perks, too, including remote Monday's, Thursday lunches and team-building events (escape rooms, happy hours, conventions). The benefits package is top of the line as well, with a very good 401k plan by Fidelity and comprehensive insurance plans.

Cons

The office can be a bit quiet at times as we're a small team in a big office.

Continue reading
  4. "Good group of folks ruined by management"

Former Employee - Director in Rockville, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart folks, good products, lots of potential

Cons

Too much backstabbing and not looking out for long term employees

Continue reading
  5. "Tumultuous time, lack of clear direction"

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

If you can handle near-term uncertainty and potentially long hours, there are opportunities for advancement. In my opinion, the new management is more generous with compensation, bonuses and raises based on performance. Once the dust settles from the acquisition, there is potential for InvestorPlace to become a better company.

Cons

In 2017, InvestorPlace Media was acquired by Stansberry Research. By late 2018, several of the company's top leaders were either dismissed or left voluntarily. In my opinion, this resulted in a vacuum where much of the company's institutional memory and culture were lost. The previous iteration of InvestorPlace wasn't perfect, but the former leadership was invested in the well being of its employees and promoted a family-like culture. The former CEO made transparency throughout the entire company a priority. In my opinion, the new leadership isn't as transparent; in the past, there have been mixed messages regarding office moves, layoffs, company policies, etc. This uncertainty created a more stressful environment for me. In my opinion, the new leadership also isn't always respectful of employees' time. I witnessed several cases where they would spring urgent deadlines on staff with little to no warning. While the new leadership is very enthusiastic about the business, morale among much of the staff has been low throughout this transition.

Continue reading

"Hostile buy-out ruined this company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockville, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Laid-back work environment - Pay was alright

Cons

- Had to talk to angry customers that were screwed over by the company. -Slowly became more and more sales-oriented. The entire customer service department was laid off with no warning.

InvestorPlace Response

April 17, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

My name is Brian Hunt. I’m the new CEO of InvestorPlace. It’s true that we changed our customer service team with no advanced warning to the team members. That was a good thing to do for our customers and our company. Here’s why… When businesses decide to move customer service departments to different locations, they typically do not notify staff in advance. If a business’s customer service staff is notified in advance, the business runs a large risk of disappointed/angry customer service reps treating customers badly. That’s why most customer service department relocations are done with no advanced warning to the staff. Moving the InvestorPlace customer service department was a difficult decision. But it was done the way it was done to protect the relationships we have with customers. A handful of our caring employees made sure it was done in a professional and respectful way. I hope this note gives you a better understanding of what happened. We wish you well in the future.

7. "Assistant Marketing Manager"

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

Good products and a lot of smart people who are dedicated and who care. Company mission of improving people's lives with good investment advice is nice.

Cons

A lot of revenue pressure and doing more with less, especially when the stock market is going down or in a rocky period.

"Not going well..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

option to work from home one day a week flexible schedule for some teams

Cons

Company reorganization every few years; I was under many different bosses Went through a couple times of layoffs and budget cuts Company was on survival mode No pay raise for a few years

"be careful..."

Former Employee - Editor in Rockville, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay, some folks loved it.

Cons

Managers unclear where they were going, CMS was an in-house mess, some newsletters were dying.

"Dull but not terrible"

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

Plenty of free food and snacks. Friendly, casual atmosphere. OK pay, solid benefits.

Cons

Very cliqueish--you will not interact with people who aren't on your small team of 5-8 employees. When the market is bad, the company does not do well. Raises were cut out entirely this year due to underperformance.

Found 29 reviews