InvestorPlace Reviews | Glassdoor

David L. Bishop

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Great Place To Work"

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

The opportunity to work on challenging projects with incredibly smart and talented people makes coming to work a joy. There is a commitment to maintaining an appropriate work/life balance that I really appreciate. It’s also very clear that InvestorPlace values its employees, and much is done to show that the company appreciates hard work and dedication.

Cons

There are times when the approach is “let’s do what we’ve always done”. This is understandable, since the company has a rich history of success, but I think there is value in asking “why” more often. I think it’s important to always question whether the old standard is still the best approach, and find ways to prove it. Of course, time and resources make this a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. Stay involved. Encourage collaboration. Individuals and teams are often intently focused on the projects they have at hand. When you share your broader perspective with your teams, it helps them keep in mind that everyone plays a part in reaching larger goals.

2. "Assistant Marketing Manager"

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

Good products and a lot of smart people who are dedicated and who care. Company mission of improving people's lives with good investment advice is nice.

Cons

A lot of revenue pressure and doing more with less, especially when the stock market is going down or in a rocky period.

3. "Not going well..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

option to work from home one day a week
    flexible schedule for some teams

Cons

Company reorganization every few years; I was under many different bosses
    Went through a couple times of layoffs and budget cuts
    Company was on survival mode
    No pay raise for a few years

Advice to Management

Cutting budget by laying off talented and experienced employees should not be a long term solution for running a business. Constant re-org also hurts performance because it takes time for team members to get to know each other and build trust.

"be careful..."

Former Employee - Editor in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Editor in Rockville, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, some folks loved it.

Cons

Managers unclear where they were going, CMS was an in-house mess, some newsletters were dying.

"Dull but not terrible"

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time

Pros

Plenty of free food and snacks.
    Friendly, casual atmosphere.
    OK pay, solid benefits.

Cons

Very cliqueish--you will not interact with people who aren't on your small team of 5-8 employees.
    When the market is bad, the company does not do well. Raises were cut out entirely this year due to underperformance.

"Employees are valued"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Given freedom to explore whole business and interact with different departments. CEO very involved but not a micro manager, simply wants to have a pulse on the day to day activities of employees. Everyone from the intern to the executives sit in a cubicle, creates a genuine "we are in this together" feeling.

Cons

Competitive business with aggressive marketing. Can be stressful at the and of each quarter, but ultimately not unreasonable with any sales based business.

Advice to Management

Stay involved. The visibility has a tangible impact on people's performance and attitude.

Jan 6, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to give a thoughtful and encouraging review! So nice to hear that you, and hopefully others, value the emphasis on a good work life balance and that managers work with... More

"Room for growth and great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in Laurel, MD

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is intellectually stimulating and well suited for multi-taskers. Hard work is rewarded with promotions, and when financial goals are met, quarterly bonuses. The pay is competitive for the publications industry. There is a lot of flexibility in occasionally working from home and tweaking schedules to accommodate appointments, etc.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"The Honeymoon is Over"

Former Employee - Developer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Developer in Rockville, MD

I worked at InvestorPlace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly people, not rigid on schedule and arriving late/leaving early, lots of opportunity if you demonstrate the willingness and desire, but be careful because expectations may become too high.

Cons

No real pay structure, which means that some people with more experience, knowledge, and/or responsibility are paid less than some of the newer employees. When they do give you an increase, they act like they've done this big favor for you, when all they really did was bring your pay closer to where it should've been.

Often times promotions are given as a way to increase someone's salary instead of just giving them a merit raise and saving the promotion for when they really deserve it. As a result many people have over inflated titles. For example, in one particular team of 3 or 4 marketers, there were no marketing associates, managers, or assistant managers. Instead every member of the team was director-level or higher. This practice devalues the promotions and the titles of everyone.

Many of the managers are terrible at managing people; a fact that is well-known to many of the employees, and even senior management. So much so, that their inability to manage is often the subject of humor around the office. The disappointing part is that these managers are allowed to remain in their positions while their subordinates grow increasingly despondent and dissatisfied.

Advice to Management

Great strides have been made over the past few years to reshape and improve the culture of the company - and that's great - but that honeymoon period is over. Challenge the status quo. Think beyond your limitations. Take responsibility for the failings of your employees. Acknowledge and accept the sub-cultures that exist among the different types of professions present in the company. Doing so will only help to encourage and support your employees and make them feel appreciated.

Jul 28, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your thoughtful review and for the acknowledgement that great strides have been made to improve the culture.
    While InvestorPlace is indeed evolving, well thought-out plan is crucial... More

"Lots of opportunity, if you like hard work and the stock market"

Current Employee - Executive Editor in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Editor in Rockville, MD

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work on the free portal, InvestorPlace.com, which published about 60-70 articles each day at present and serves about 1.5 million readers each month. The pace of work is brisk but incredibly rewarding. The stock market can change fast and the stakes are high with real money on the line for our readers, so you have to always be reading and researching... but since I like to stay busy and learn new things this is decidedly a plus and not a negative.

Best of all, the work is very rewarding professionally for those who prove up to the task. I've had a number of raises and promotions, but what's most satisfying is my ability to propose new projects and ideas. There is always support and opportunities for those willing to try new things and pursue them.

Some jobs will send you to conferences in Las Vegas as "professional development." But my professional development is actually my job, and the great people around me who help me and give me the chance to try new things -- even if they may fail.

The constant train of free lunches/bagels/coffee also is a plus!

Cons

Financial media is a very specific corner of the universe, and then within our company we have even more focused divisions -- such as a publication focused purely on options trading. The jargon and investing strategies can sometimes be intense, so it's not something you can pick up on day one. You have to have to have a constant curiosity and a desire to learn, because almost everybody here required some serious education when they first started.

Advice to Management

My only knock is that people tend to be clustered in small teams of around 10 people despite there being some 70 people in total. It's unavoidable to spend most of your time among employees who do similar work, but sometimes it's hard to get to know others on the other side of the building and what exactly it is they do.

Jul 28, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Ah yes – the stock market and investment products - that is our business and there’s no way to get around that but the good news is that for most all positions we hire for, no experience (or little... More

"This place helped define my career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at InvestorPlace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Flexible schedule
    - Smart colleagues
    - Open to remote work
    I have worked here for more than 10 years and along the way have been helped to shape a career when I really had no idea what I wanted to do. If you work hard and show initiative and are a problem-solver you will be allowed to grow and advance as far as you'd like.

Cons

If you thrive on "pats on the back" for every little accomplishment this is not the place for you. Promotions don't really follow any set guidelines and seem arbitrary. Feedback from mangers seems to only happen at annual reviews - otherwise you'll probably only receive feedback when it's negative.

Advice to Management

Keep moving along the path you've started down in understanding the life/work balance of your employees. Do a better job of individually acknowledging and rewarding the loyalty and hard work of your longer term employees.

Jul 28, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review and we’re glad to hear that you seem pleased with the path you’ve taken here with your career. Helping shape your career here is one of our main goals for our employees at... More